Used Syn-2 and Fryette PS-2A in the studio today!

  • Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
romanianreaper

romanianreaper

Well-known member
Recorded five more songs for a future album. Recorded five back in January using the Synergy 20IR with an SLO-II module. Today I used the Syn-2 and Fryette PS-2a with the same SLO-II module.

The producer had our old tracks lined up as a reference and he said he could tell a difference. Not as bright. He had me turn up the treble and presence a bit. I had the amp going into a Mesa 4x12 with V30s like last time. Nice, solid tones.

I'm really digging the Fryette PS-2a. As a sidenote, was convenient hauling around the Gator rack case and easy to carry with the side handles.
 
Recorded five more songs for a future album. Recorded five back in January using the Synergy 20IR with an SLO-II module. Today I used the Syn-2 and Fryette PS-2a with the same SLO-II module.

The producer had our old tracks lined up as a reference and he said he could tell a difference. Not as bright. He had me turn up the treble and presence a bit. I had the amp going into a Mesa 4x12 with V30s like last time. Nice, solid tones.

I'm really digging the Fryette PS-2a. As a sidenote, was convenient hauling around the Gator rack case and easy to carry with the side handles.
Did you think the PowerStation sounded better than the SYN20IR? I’m guessing it sounded maybe a bit more fuller given full size tubes and 50w? I’ve been thinking about trying a Synergy setup.
 
Did you think the PowerStation sounded better than the SYN20IR? I’m guessing it sounded maybe a bit more fuller given full size tubes and 50w? I’ve been thinking about trying a Synergy setup.
Oh yeah man exactly like you said, it is a more fuller tone. For anyone who has played a lot of tube amps, it is the same regardless of brand. Some examples are the Friedman JJ Jr. versus the bigger amp or the Jake E. Lee smaller amp versus the bigger one. You can hear the difference and it is typically how the mids sit, a change in low end and a thinner tone.

Saying all of that, you definitely would not be disappointed with a 20IR, especially compared to other EL84 amps. I've owned a few Friedman EL84 amps and the 20IR is way better and to me, sounds like a bigger tube amp.

The great thing about the Synergy amps is that you can get a Syn-1 for a few hundred bucks and then get one module to start. Some people have tons of modules and bigger amps, etc. You can really take your time and build up a library of tones if you want.

This is the most satisfied i've been with an amp in years if i'm being.completely honest. I have a tube amp again but it is a totally different experience:
- Can play at bedroom level or gig
- Is a compact package and easy to transport
- I can have multiple tube amp tones at my disposal
- If I start feeling like I want a different tone, I can get a new module instead of buying a tube head.

I would tell anyone that can afford it, get a tube power amp with the Synergy stuff. Because that is the most realistic scenario with using this setup. The amps these modules are based on are big tube amps with 6L6 and EL34s, etc and you are going to sound bigger. The 20IR is amazing but you are running big amp preamp tubes into EL84 power tubes and a smaller transformer. It sounds amazing but if you can go bigger, go bigger.
 
Oh yeah man exactly like you said, it is a more fuller tone. For anyone who has played a lot of tube amps, it is the same regardless of brand. Some examples are the Friedman JJ Jr. versus the bigger amp or the Jake E. Lee smaller amp versus the bigger one. You can hear the difference and it is typically how the mids sit, a change in low end and a thinner tone.

Saying all of that, you definitely would not be disappointed with a 20IR, especially compared to other EL84 amps. I've owned a few Friedman EL84 amps and the 20IR is way better and to me, sounds like a bigger tube amp.

The great thing about the Synergy amps is that you can get a Syn-1 for a few hundred bucks and then get one module to start. Some people have tons of modules and bigger amps, etc. You can really take your time and build up a library of tones if you want.

This is the most satisfied i've been with an amp in years if i'm being.completely honest. I have a tube amp again but it is a totally different experience:
- Can play at bedroom level or gig
- Is a compact package and easy to transport
- I can have multiple tube amp tones at my disposal
- If I start feeling like I want a different tone, I can get a new module instead of buying a tube head.

I would tell anyone that can afford it, get a tube power amp with the Synergy stuff. Because that is the most realistic scenario with using this setup. The amps these modules are based on are big tube amps with 6L6 and EL34s, etc and you are going to sound bigger. The 20IR is amazing but you are running big amp preamp tubes into EL84 power tubes and a smaller transformer. It sounds amazing but if you can go bigger, go bigger.
Did you run into the preamp input or directly into the effects loop on the PowerStation?
 
It goes into the input. I actually have my effects pedals running into the effects loop of the Power Station.
I used the effects loop of the PS-2A with my Mojotone Brit 50 and it really sucked the tone. I had to adjust the switches on the PS-2A along with the dials and was able to get it back. That's why this is such a great tool. I plugged a short cable across the send and return of the PS-2A as a test and got no tone suck. I might have to try some better cables but I've never had issues with the cables I have on my other amps.
 
Back
Top