Used VH4 should I keep it or get a new one.

Dark Helmet

Got a Used VH4 about a week ago for $2950 a 2009 year. When I went to install some EL34 STR tubes in it I noticed that the chassis had been drilled for marshall tube retainers, and done so well I might add. It sounds and works fine but I do feel a bit hipped. I can return it and buy a new one or should I keep it and try and get them to reduce the price. I'm thinking I may get an new one regardless but if I decide to keep it what would be a fair price for me.

Dark Helmet":ksx2r3e2 said:
Got a Used VH4 about a week ago for $2950 a 2009 year. When I went to install some EL34 STR tubes in it I noticed that the chassis had been drilled for marshall tube retainers, and done so well I might add. It sounds and works fine but I do feel a bit hipped. I can return it and buy a new one or should I keep it and try and get them to reduce the price. I'm thinking I may get an new one regardless but if I decide to keep it what would be a fair price for me.
:loco:

First of all, tube retainers have nothing to do with the fantastic tone that you will enjoy from this unique guitar amplifier.

Second of all, we all know that German engineers make anything and everything the best of the best.

Thirdly, if I were fortunate enough to own a VH4 and someone else wanted it — they would have to pry it from "my cold dead hands."

I've had my Herbert for >8 years now and He gets better each day like fine precious wine.

I'll tell you what DH, send me your VH4 tube retainers and I'll gladly send you my Herbert's tube retainers in return.

Did you get my email today ?

Yes Thank you I understand now. I forget that English is not your first language. Thanks for clearing that up, and I did e-mail you back. Hopefully I did not come across as rude. I work very hard for my money, as I'm sure all of the Rig Talk members do. I cherish all my gear, and I prefer to have my gear in the best condition possible, so if the day comes that i must sell then I can get the most value for my stuff as well as keep my reputation in tact to the person I sell it to.

Thank you again Peter.

First of all, tube retainers have nothing to do with the fantastic tone that you will enjoy from this unique guitar amplifier.

Second of all, we all know that German engineers make anything and everything the best of the best.

Thirdly, if I were fortunate enough to own a VH4 and someone else wanted it — they would have to pry it from "my cold dead hands."

I've had my Herbert for >8 years now and He gets better each day like fine precious wine.

I'll tell you what DH, send me your VH4 tube retainers and I'll gladly send you my Herbert's tube retainers in return.

Very well understood Sabbath. When I bought this Head this was not disclosed to me, as it came across country. The guy who owned this head previously broke the stock tube retainers off (on purpose) and drilled new holes (not straight), when none needed to be drilled, for the Marshall Tube retainers. He could have simply spent about 10 minutes and remove the stock ones and installed the Marshall ones there. He may have done it as the tube sockets felt loose, and I have no Idea what tubes he had in there. It probably took more time to drill the holes anyway. If he was willing to drill holes through the chassis on a $4000 head what else did he do to it? This is the unknown, as I have never owned a VH4 let alone played one pryor to having this head to know what one sounds like. That's why I am thinking new also.

After a couple of Preamp tube swaps and swapping the EL34 BHT's for the Standard STR's it sounded awesome. My concern is that if something was compromised in the amp when the last person owned it I would have no idea. I certainly don't want to spend $3000 on an amp that may have to go to the shop. That is unacceptable to me for the cost of the amp. This is not a Diezel issue at all, just a prior owner issue.

Dark Helmet":2rht1sga said:
Very well understood Sabbath. When I bought this Head this was not disclosed to me, as it came across country. The guy who owned this head previously broke the stock tube retainers off (on purpose) and drilled new holes (not straight), when none needed to be drilled, for the Marshall Tube retainers. He could have simply spent about 10 minutes and remove the stock ones and installed the Marshall ones there. He may have done it as the tube sockets felt loose, and I have no Idea what tubes he had in there. It probably took more time to drill the holes anyway. If he was willing to drill holes through the chassis on a $4000 head what else did he do to it? This is the unknown, as I have never owned a VH4 let alone played one pryor to having this head to know what one sounds like. That's why I am thinking new also.

After a couple of Preamp tube swaps and swapping the EL34 BHT's for the Standard STR's it sounded awesome. My concern is that if something was compromised in the amp when the last person owned it I would have no idea. I certainly don't want to spend $3000 on an amp that may have to go to the shop. That is unacceptable to me for the cost of the amp. This is not a Diezel issue at all, just a prior owner issue.
Good point you have DH.

Although I know my Herby inside and out, anything outside of a simple bias adjustment goes directly to my local tech guy. I know precisely what my limitations are when entering the bowels of my Herby. I'm a guitar player, not an abject DIY hack! I use 6x(JJ-E34L) exclusively in my Herby and the furthest I ever went was to apply a small awl to tighten some of the socket clamps. JJ power tubes are known to have ever so slightly a smaller pin radius than average.

Although my forte is primarily progressive rock, I spend 60-70% of my time playing Herbert on CH2 and rarely ever use -/+. CH2 coupled with my tc 1210 spatial expander + stereo chorus flanger is Alex to a tee. Just think Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals (80, 81, 82). It simply produces the most beautiful Marshall-esque tones you will ever encounter.

Also DH, (just my 2¢) if you do your due diligence and have everything checked out by a professional first you will be in good shape. Nobody makes a more incredibly versatile guitar amplifier as does Diezel Amplification, nobody! It's somewhat like buying new car tires. You want retreads, then you get retreads. You want Michelin, then you get the best money can buy you.

New white VH4 on order. Can't wait but I have to and it should be about 45 days at most.

Well Peter the next order for a white VH4 is more than likely mine. :)

Dark Helmet":18ivc112 said:
New white VH4 on order. Can't wait but I have to and it should be about 45 days at most.

Well Peter the next order for a white VH4 is more than likely mine. :)
45 days well worth the wait (in the meantime take up ping-pong or something like that) brutha from another mutha.

:rock: Welcome to the BoD my friend!

Back