Van Halen - Ice Cream Man

Jack Napalm

Anyone versed in the Van Halen version of Ice Cream Man? I am trying to figure out what Dave is singing at the start of the second and fourth verses.

I have seen the lyrics two different ways and neither one seem to match up. I just can't understand what he saying.

I got bim bam banana pops, and dixie cups
or
I got good lemonade, and dixie cups

Its the bim bam banana pops part. I want to learn how to play and sing this song. Any tips for playing it in standard tuning? I thought Dave tunes to and open E for acoustic guitar.

Mark

I always thought it was "I got pudding in the middle, dixie cups...".

I assume there's some kind of ice cream out there with pudding in the middle? :confused:

Jack Napalm":1i1kfkny said:
Anyone versed in the Van Halen version of Ice Cream Man? I am trying to figure out what Dave is singing at the start of the second and fourth verses.

I have seen the lyrics two different ways and neither one seem to match up. I just can't understand what he saying.

or

Its the bim bam banana pops part. I want to learn how to play and sing this song. Any tips for playing it in standard tuning? I thought Dave tunes to and open E for acoustic guitar.

Mark

THIS: I got good lemonade, and dixie cups

WTF is bim bam banana pops, and dixie cups :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's:

"I got some fudge banana pops, dixie cups
All flavors and pushups too"

Recommendations on playing:

Tune to Eb if you want it to sound closest, but there should be no reason you can't play the same thing in standard tuning.

Gotta get your stretching going for the solo. There is a whole section that goes down the neck in a pattern that requires a 12-16-19 legato stretch and it ain't easy...

Steve

Jack Napalm":2qa6byjy said:

or

Mark

Here's the isolated vocals for that section ;)

Attachments

• icecreamman Vocal.mp3
    216 KB · Views: 561
I have a book that he was supposed to say Pink lemon aid. Also in his own book he says that he scats a lot of stuff phonetically. In other words if he misses a lyric he will put something in that works and it isn't necessarily english LMAO. Odds are he meant to say Pink lemonade but we all know that he is saying bim bam bamama

AmpliFIRE":1wgcbxb2 said:
sah5150":1wgcbxb2 said:
AmpliFIRE":1wgcbxb2 said:
:no:

Steve

I disagree bro...
Did you listen to the isolated vocal that was posted? There is no way in hell he is saying lemonade... he's definitely saying "banana" but the rest is just scatting...

Steve

Gainfreak":20f2x0rl said:
he scats a lot of stuff phonetically. In other words if he misses a lyric he will put something in that works and it isn't necessarily english LMAO.
Yup... I think he was trying to say fudge banana pops though...

Steve

maiden_fan":v7wlwrfm said:
Some of us are wusses and tap that section of the solo!
Blasphemy!!!!

Sure makes it easier though....

Steve

sah5150":376r3os3 said:
Recommendations on playing:

Tune to Eb if you want it to sound closest, but there should be no reason you can't play the same thing in standard tuning.

Gotta get your stretching going for the solo. There is a whole section that goes down the neck in a pattern that requires a 12-16-19 legato stretch and it ain't easy...

Thanks. That first four bar phrase looks like a killer. The tempo is pretty high.

maiden_fan":376r3os3 said:
Some of us are wusses and tap that section of the solo!

I maybe a wuss too! :D

Here's the isolated vocals for that section

Very cool. After listening to that I think Gainfreak is on to something.

Gainfreak":376r3os3 said:
I have a book that he was supposed to say Pink lemon aid. Also in his own book he says that he scats a lot of stuff phonetically. In other words if he misses a lyric he will put something in that works and it isn't necessarily english LMAO. Odds are he meant to say Pink lemonade but we all know that he is saying bim bam bamama

Too me sounds like giberish. :LOL: :LOL:

I'll try out a few things and see what works for me.

Blasphemy!!!!

It's okay. I'm a minister. I'll confess my sins afterwards.

sah5150":qfm8gxdq said:
AmpliFIRE":qfm8gxdq said:
sah5150":qfm8gxdq said:
AmpliFIRE":qfm8gxdq said:
:no:

Steve

I disagree bro...
Did you listen to the isolated vocal that was posted? There is no way in hell he is saying lemonade... he's definitely saying "banana" but the rest is just scatting...

Steve

It always sounded like lemonade to me :confused:

AmpliFIRE":2wz1xe01 said:
Not exactly lemonade...but something like monada. Either way....it's annoying as hell!
I've not heard anyone ever more clearly say the word "banana"... :LOL: :LOL:

Just shows how we all hear things differently... :thumbsup:

Steve

Back