Van Halen tribute band 1st album played in entirety You have to check this guitarist out.....

Deraps is an awesome player with the feel but his balls out Germino to me doesn't sound that great either. Too tubby.. props to him for playing straight it with no boosts though. He works for it.

Also just a personal gripe but everyone and their dog playing Eruption is getting old for me. We get it...tap tap tap tap. It was boring for me when Ed would do it live the last 20 years, I don't need to hear another person do it. Kind of like 99 in hockey, retire it.

Amen!
Read some well known newer generation guy say something along the lines of:
"It was impressive to be able to do it 35 years ago. The kids today play it right out of the womb."

Re: Germino, I had an LV55 for a while. It does the traditional balls out Marshall amazingly but it's not the EVH tone.
If I wanted another Plexi that could do the brown thing right it'd be a Bray 4550 Deluxe.

Last edited:
Amen!
Read some well known newer generation guy say something along the lines of:
"It was impressive to be able to do it 35 years ago. The kids today play it right out of the womb."

Re: Germino, I had an LV55 for a while. It does the traditional balls out Marshall amazingly but it's not the EVH tone.
If I wanted another Plexi that could do the brown thing right it'd be a Bray 4550 Deluxe.
That's well said.. kids have everything at their finger tips now and it is one of the first things they learn

I thought the singer did a pretty good job actually. Way better than DLR in the last 10 years. He has some DLR inflections but still sort of does his own thing. At least he dressed like lounge singer DLR lol. Guitar player is awesome.. tone is a little fizzy so I am guessing it is Kemper using his Marshall power section. Great playing but I don't think any more spot on than anyone else who does it really well.

Also just a personal gripe but everyone and their dog playing Eruption is getting old for me. We get it...tap tap tap tap. It was boring for me when Ed would do it live the last 20 years, I don't need to hear another person do it. Kind of like 99 in hockey, retire it.

I think the singer sounds great and I dig his outfit. It puts a smile on my face.

This band rocked and they are probably the best sounding EVH Tribute bands I have seen. Yes extremely polished but is that a bad thing. And about the singers voice, hello they are Australian and did you here his accent prior to the last song they played yet he pulls off a very fitting vocal for VH1. Yes the Kemper or the AXE FX gives you a more studio polished tone no doubt but the VH1 album is what blew every guitarists minds when they heard that explosive polished tone on that album and wondered how he got those tones. 40 plus years later and thousands of guitarists still chase that tone because it is awesome. To me hearing the old recordings or early videos of VH are awesome and what I really like is how they were like a German Blitzkrieg when they played and blew everyone's minds because nobody ever saw a band like that. Hats off to these guys. Awesome job.

Here's what he said in the YouTube comments:

"Im using the Kemper as a pre-amp, and running it into the old Superlead Power section at the back, and then into a vintage Marshall Cab. The Plexi I've had modded to sound great on its own, but because we were playing "the album", the Kemper gave me the flexibility to have different gain structures and reverbs to match each song more closely. On the floor I'm just using a Strymon tape delay, and a MXR phase 90. I ran it "dry/wet" on the day, so that the Plexi & Marshall cab are bone dry unless I turn the delay on, and the other rig you see there is just doing 100% wet reverbs."

He also said this:
'Fair Warning' is a little 'jamming band' that was put together back in 1997 in Melbourne Australia, for no other reason than to have fun and keep our chops up by playing Van Halen songs with our good pals, as we all toured in Tommy Emmanuel’s band at the time.

So the band was the legendary Tommy Emmanuel's touring band.....no wonder they got dem chops!

Last edited:
if thats really a kemper i need to re-evaluate why i have a house full of amps and cabs

Man I only got to use a Kemper once; I profiled a 2203x using just a single sm57 (no mic preamp or anything) and the shit sound and felt glorious. We were running the Kemper in to the fx return and a 4x12 though which apparently is the best way to do it judging from all the comments I read online.

Problem is, if you still gotta use a tube poweramp and 4x12 cab for best results you might as well just use an amp and be done with it lol

I think Dave would like seeing a guy dressed as a retired Elvis Impersonator sing his stuff. It’s very fitting. Nothing will touch seeing Atomic Punks in the late 90’s for me. Mike was an amazing DLR and Russ killed doing EVH.

Man I only got to use a Kemper once; I profiled a 2203x using just a single sm57 (no mic preamp or anything) and the shit sound and felt glorious. We were running the Kemper in to the fx return and a 4x12 though which apparently is the best way to do it judging from all the comments I read online.

Problem is, if you still gotta use a tube poweramp and 4x12 cab for best results you might as well just use an amp and be done with it lol

I really gotta try one out, my modeling experience is borrowing my buddies digitech gsp1101 for a couple weeks 15 years ago, that thing was cool though, an updated version of that thing where you could download different amps would be perfect for my needs.

I own an AXE 3 and owned all of the other previous AXE FX units in the years past. I never could gel with IR responses and FRFRs. I have always ran these with power amps and 412 cabs. Yes this will sound more polished but these will give you tons of options and flexibility with sculpting your tone whereas the tube head is a little more limited. To each their own as these are all tools and six to one and half dozed to another. I have posted clips on other forums with my AXE 3 going into a Boss TAE and 2 412 cabinets and my real BE 100 DLX into the same TAE and same cabinets and everyone thought the AXE 3 was the real sounding tube amp. Most gravitated towards the more refined tone as the tube amp.

I am sure that guitarist could sound like EVH through a damn Gorilla amp in the end.

Jealousy is the key word here, I think. The band is tighter than many original bands. And they're obviously getting gigs. And guys at that level really doesn't have to use that much energy to "sound like" anyone. You could probably sling an LP around his neck, and have him playing G&R or Whitesnake songs all night long. To me, it sounds like he's spent hours and hours on getting GOOD.
Jealousy? C'mon man, why the name-calling? I never said anything bad about anyone. I only said I find this type of obsession odd. Obviously there's a F-load of talent here, which makes me wonder why spending so much effort emulating playing VH so accurately. I know they've got a cool gig backing Tommy E., but I don't buy into their "jam band" thing for a minute. This is wayyyy too well done for that. This dude spent TONs of his time on this stuff, and with his level of talent, it makes me wonder what else he could've achieved...if that makes sense. No big deal...it was only a comment to that point. No need for name calling.

Last edited:
I'm not an EVH tone chasing fanboy by any means, not that there's anything wrong with that LOL. VH1 was my first hard rock album and what made me take up guitar, that and his stripped superstrats. I just thought this guitarists playing, tone and note for note copy live is pretty remarkable. Whole band is tight for that matter. Al Estrada is another phenomenal guitarist. His versions of some Gary Moore is unreal. I also like MSG, Nuno, Petrucci, Page, etc. etc, etc. Its all good. Just play.........

Back