Various Metallica songs in the 'Black Album' sound

petejt

More awesome covers from the mighty GuitarRazze. Why can't he be Metallica's guitar tech?

I hate how their guitar tone now has this flat 'clangy' sound to it. I can't work it what it is that is ruining it.
It's not a distorted "kerrrrang" sound like often described here with a good crunch, or that awesome clear but punchy bell-ringing sound ala Malcolm Young.

I was still trying to work out which amps James used on the latest Hardwired... album. I do reckon he used more of the MarkIIC+ on Murder One and possibly Spit out the Bone, than the songs preceding it on Disc 2. It seems to have more crunch, saturation and 'separation' between the rhythm guitar and the bass.

It sounds good but to me personally the "Hardwired" songs sound better as is over the "Black" version tones.

All you have to do is watch live shit binge and purge to hear their music with the black album sound.T hank God there's that Seattle show from '89. They sound incredible on that one. Lars gets an amazing drum tone that he needs back pronto.

Tone Ranger":50vi4ym7 said:
Any word on what he is using?
I checked some of his other Metallica videos and when asked he said he was using Bias Desktop, he also has a vid of him playing through random patches on bias desktop

skoora":2l3rhz4r said:
All you have to do is watch live shit binge and purge to hear their music with the black album sound.T hank God there's that Seattle show from '89. They sound incredible on that one. Lars gets an amazing drum tone that he needs back pronto.

That's Metallica at their peak, perfomance and tone-wise, for me. Lars' drum sound is thunderous and the guitars sound massive! Something they haven't got back I don't think.

Maybe I overdid to the Black album too much when I was younger, but its the tone/album I'll skip more than the rest of their albums. Too dated to the early 90's metal sound.

I hear a lot of the Wizard tone on the newer album mix, and it could be the IIC+ too, as I believe he uses both amps to cover the higher end and crunch of his tone mix, with the VH4 doing the lower end.

xzyryabx":3rpktwfg said:
petejt":3rpktwfg said:
What's going on with posting YouTube videos now? It isn't showing...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh-ZcxjE9zM

Are you using Safari? Try another browser
Do you have any add blockers? Turn them off; then try another browser if it doesn't work.
Just had this problem using an older revision of Safari.

Yep I am in fact using Safari. I have never had problems in the past, even when using ad blockers.
It could be an update thing.

Tone Ranger":3tsbo592 said:
Ok. I have Bias on IOS. Never thought it sounded THAT good.

He must do something to make it sound really good. I'm not sure what apart from using Bias.

I did notice that there is a bit of a lack of low end in his mix, compared to the original mix for Enter Sandman (he just stuck the original track in there as an example). The original has a more thunderous sound, from Jason's bass. But otherwise this is among the best replications out there.

GuitarRazze's replication also seems a bit more "chorusey", probably from how he doubletracked it. I personally like that, but I guess that is what contribute to that early 1990s sound, i.e. living in the shadow of the 1980s (i.e. sounds dated).

Philhouse":hpa6a1ur said:
I hear a lot of the Wizard tone on the newer album mix, and it could be the IIC+ too, as I believe he uses both amps to cover the higher end and crunch of his tone mix, with the VH4 doing the lower end.

Isn't that what he did when he used the TriAxis preamp with the Recto in the mid 1990s? One TriAxis set to a IIC+ preamp sound (with the external 5-band EQ), and another TriAxis set to the Recto preamp. I guess the IIC+ for the higher end crunch and the Recto for the lower end.

I'm not really sure what a Wizard sounds like. I do like the new album sound, but only if I turn it up loud on the car stereo or something.
Whereas tones like from the Black album sound crunchy and saturated on any sound system.

Otherwise it just seems a bit "soggy" and flat in the mids- this persistent midrange that is blocky but, just seems to squash most of the crunch in the sound. It has impact, but it seems blunt, doesn't have that ring and the balls that knock you in the stomach. And I struggle to hear the "edge" in the sound, apart from songs like Murder One which do have more of that crunchy edge.

petejt":2d7b2f98 said:
Philhouse":2d7b2f98 said:

Isn't that what he did when he used the TriAxis preamp with the Recto in the mid 1990s? One TriAxis set to a IIC+ preamp sound (with the external 5-band EQ), and another TriAxis set to the Recto preamp. I guess the IIC+ for the higher end crunch and the Recto for the lower end.

I'm not really sure what a Wizard sounds like. I do like the new album sound, but only if I turn it up loud on the car stereo or something.
Whereas tones like from the Black album sound crunchy and saturated on any sound system.

Otherwise it just seems a bit "soggy" and flat in the mids- this persistent midrange that is blocky but, just seems to squash most of the crunch in the sound. It has impact, but it seems blunt, doesn't have that ring and the balls that knock you in the stomach. And I struggle to hear the "edge" in the sound, apart from songs like Murder One which do have more of that crunchy edge.

I think that's simply his new pickups VS the 81s. They are less crunchy for sure.

petejt":2n5lglt7 said:
Philhouse":2n5lglt7 said:

that would have been V.1 of the Triaxis at that time. so 4th lead channel would have been Mark based still. IIRC part of the mods on their triaxis were to tweak EQ and give Lead3 the ++ treatment of crunch berries.

Wizards? They are something else man..

TBH, I'd be surprised if there were not many other amps on James's end other than his Wizard, Crunch berries, his VH 4, in recent studio picks i've seen what looks like a second wizard and old Marshall. (these could have been kirk's) I don't think i've seen James use a rectifier seriously since he pick up his VH-4

Back