VH4 playing on 10

ProgFree

VH4 with the master volume on 10. That was neat with channel 2 engaged. What can I expect regarding the life time of the powertubes? Are there risks for the amp provided that it is plugged to the right cab? Peter could you please chime in?

If he did, now the rest of the band has now left the building... Not really by their own ;)
I once tried my VH4 with Channel 3 Vol. 15 o'clock, Master on 13-14. I turned the (Mesa Recto Cab) away from me. Otherwise I surely would have had some serious intestinal bleeding after! Sometimes I use this to clean the room...

kahawe":5q2pc0j1 said:
volkair":5q2pc0j1 said:
Sometimes I use this to clean the room...
... or, you know, to tear down old buildings! :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

haha that is true. It would have caused the other guys to evacuate the room. It was a test on a micing isolation room with a mic 1,5 m away from the cab. Have no clue what mic was it to support such high spl. It sounded mean and I was wondering if for a recording session of few hours the tubes would wear a lot for example and if the amp will be safe. This amp sounds amazing at low volumes as well but the sound guy would like to capture some takes with the master maxed.

This issue has been discussed several times, I think. When we've been recording our latest EP, we tried out different settings, way too loud, very low. We always tried and tweaked and ended up with Master round 10-11, (Channel round 12-13) which was still way to loud to stay in the room. But that setting delivered the most defined and best amount compression with still open Sound. Very raw and mean, but not too heavy. Cranking the master ended up in an over compressed sound with less definition (as possible with the V ;) ) ! In rehearsals I normally have my MV on 9, perhaps 10, with Channels round 10-12, Ch2 13 o'clock. On stage it depends on the room, sometimes the master is more to 11, but mostly round 10, and I rarely adjust the Channelsettings. Due to different cabs I usually have to alter Mids and Presence.

volkair":3mna6mio said:
Cranking the master ended up in an over compressed sound with less definition (as possible with the V ;) )

That was what draw the attention of the guy that was micing it. With the master cranked there was a very interesting compression going on but there was much more clarity than what one usually gets doing this with other amps. It was a very thick and punchy mid range with great compression and a tad of "dirt" that was resembling Joe Bonamassas sound at times. Think of Slow train (ch 2) and Story of a quarryman (ch4). Is Joe aware of the VH4? ^^

Hm perhaps he is, but surely he's aware of the Vintage and used Guitar Shop of my personal Choice round the corner, where he recently bought a JP Sig Les Paul...
;)

On our last recording we ran the master maxed out and work the individual channels. The cab was in a separate room so no one was getting killed. The tones (I think) turned out awesome!!!!

volkair":3dn51n4b said:
This issue has been discussed several times, I think. When we've been recording our latest EP, we tried out different settings, way too loud, very low. We always tried and tweaked and ended up with Master round 10-11, (Channel round 12-13) which was still way to loud to stay in the room. But that setting delivered the most defined and best amount compression with still open Sound. Very raw and mean, but not too heavy. Cranking the master ended up in an over compressed sound with less definition (as possible with the V ;) ) ! In rehearsals I normally have my MV on 9, perhaps 10, with Channels round 10-12, Ch2 13 o'clock. On stage it depends on the room, sometimes the master is more to 11, but mostly round 10, and I rarely adjust the Channelsettings. Due to different cabs I usually have to alter Mids and Presence.

+1 pretty much all of this.

Peter Diezel":3uwemkaj said:
Let the master on 9 to 10 please.
It needs no compressed power amp to sound good.

by 9 to 10 do you mean 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock? or 9-10 near max? I'm guessing the former which is where I keep my Einstein MV nowadays and it sounds pretty good there.

I'd be scared to run the MV near noon even with a 212 cab...

and yes the higher you run the master volume (consistently), the shorter your power tube life...

I'd be scared to run the MV near noon even with a 212 cab...

I run my VH4 @ 11 - 11:30 with a Diezel 2X12 rear load w/V30's. Been doing that about 4 hours a week for a few years with no issues. Never felt the need to go past there. Ch volumes almost always stay at noon.

Back