VHX crackle/sizzle noise in the direct outs

coolingcard

Hi, all. I just got a new VHX about a week ago. It's an amazing amp, but has one issue: there's an intermittent crackling/sizzling sound coming through the headphone out and the XLR out. It does not happen through the speaker outs. As I said, it is intermittent and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it or cause that I can find. It'll happen with no guitar connected, so it's not a cable thing. I've run the amp with headphones, a FRFR cab connected to the XLR out, and a regular cab connected to the speaker out all at once, and the sound *only* happens in the headphones and XLR outs. I know preamp tubes are the usual cause for something like this, but given that it's not happening through all of the outputs, it seems unlikely. The amp shipped with 4.12 firmware, and I recently installed the 5.0 beta firmware, and it happened on both. I'm hoping someone (Leo, I'm looking in your direction) can offer up some help.

How frequent is the intermittent issue? Would you please check if that happens with any IR (internal or bypassed)?
Any chance you can record the issue?

Thank you,
Leo

Hi, Leo, thanks for the reply! It's happened every time I've turned on the amp. Sometimes it takes five to ten minutes before it starts, other times it's started relatively soon after turning the amp on.

I've attached a recording of the sound coming out of the FRFR speaker. While I was recording this, I switched the IR from internal to bypassed, changed the mic settings, and even switched the amp to standby and the crackling sound was still happening through all of it. It is also coming from the headphone out, so it's not a problem with the FRFR speaker.

Attachments

• vhx-static.mp3.zip
    242.4 KB · Views: 67
Back