VIDEO: HBE / BE / VH4 / Orange / Dual Rec

Nice job :thumbsup:

I listened without knowing which was which and was somewhat surprised by the results aside from #1 & #2. My oder of preference:

1. BE
2. HBE
3. Orange
4. Recto
5. VH4

I didn't care much for the VH4 which surprised me...I thought it would be one of my favorites. Sounded kind of harsh and sterile compared to the others through my speakers.

Thanks for the vid James! Sounds like a killer shootout is coming.

I could die happy with the HBE and the VH4 - 1 down, 1 to go. Both sound incredible! :rock:

Some seriously nice recordings there...

Friedman stuff sounds killer...haven't got to the rest yet :)

Think I prefer the heaviness of the HBE for rhythm but the BE for the leads...

The Orange is so freakin' chewy...love it.

H Golf Sport":ip371zuz said:
Wow all amps sounded great.
Which Les Paul and pickups did you use?

Aloha, Rob.

Thanks man. The first 2 AIC clips and the VH were me playing with my '02 Les Paul Standard. The back end with the Metallica-esce rhythm and the lead stuff at the end was Dan with his Custom Shop Goldtop.

Nice mini shootout. I loved the VH-4 the most, then Friedman, Dual rec, Orange.

I love the brown eye for the Van Halen stuff, but the music played I believed suited the Diezel better...

Awesome test, and more to come too! Excellent!

I liked the BE, HBE, Orange, Recto. The VH4 is too ugly to like!

Why was the BE and HBE gain only up half way? I bet the BE would really shine with the gain dimed!

AndyK":1x17qwo5 said:

Why was the BE and HBE gain only up half way? I bet the BE would really shine with the gain dimed!

The settings in the pics weren't the settings we used. My bad. The gain was around 7 or 8 on my Marshall.

James Lugo":2uxwl2q3 said:
AndyK":2uxwl2q3 said:

The settings in the pics weren't the settings we used. My bad. The gain was around 7 or 8 on my Marshall.

Ah, that makes more sense. I was thinking my BE has way less gain than yours, but on 8, we are about equal. Add my SAT switch in position 2, and I have your HBE tone, almost.

Friedman rocks!!

Hey James...are you doing another NAMM party this year? Would love to finally meet you guys and have a few drinks at that new studio! :)

And all of those tones sound awesome! My favorite was the HBE and Orange.

I liked the Marshall the most, the Orange the least. The Recto sounded better doing the AIC stuff than I expected.

Now, are those sounds just one mic (per speaker) a mix of all three, or 'the best one' for each amp?

Just had Dave do some fixes on the Orange and the Boogie. Brought them in the live room and have been crankin and havin fun. Messed with all the setting dials on the back of the Racto, liked Vintage mode with Bold mode the best.

:rock: :rock: I love amp shootouts. I liked the VH4 the best. I think after that it was HBE, BE, Orange and Recto, even though I didn't like the last two equally :LOL: :LOL:

Motorpud":3k51a5ec said:
:rock: :rock: I love amp shootouts. I liked the VH4 the best. I think after that it was HBE, BE, Orange and Recto, even though I didn't like the last two equally :LOL: :LOL:
Yeah, that recto tone was cool, but a little 'messy' for lack of a better word. I can't enjoy recto tones after playing through mine. Once I changed to KT77's and switched back to my old carvin cab, game over! :LOL: :LOL: I can't stand em anymore with v30's or stock tubes.

The Orange sounded ok, but after hearing the HBE and the Diezel it was just meh.

Back