Voodoo Amps

lyates1987

So I sent an amp to Trace at Voodoo 9/3/20 and i don't think anything was done to it for almost 2 years, and then Trace posts on FB in June of 2022 that he isn't aking in any more mod orders and that all existing orders that are in house are going to be done at the end of 2022. Just curious if there is anyone here that had sent their amp in to get modded in the past 2 and a half years and if anyone has had their amp finished and sent back to them or heard from Trace regarding their amp. I feel like I've had smoke blown up my ass the last 2 times I talked to him, the mist recent was in June but in december of 21 I was told it was next in line sitting next to one of Joe Perry's amps and that it would be a month or 2 before it was done. Obviously that didn't happen. I haven't heard from or received an email from him and it's past the end of 2022. At this point if he hasn't started on it or touched i just want it back, however, I'm kinda afraid that if i call to find that out that i am not going to get an honest answer, which is sad because I was really excited when I first sent the amp in and now I'm starting to regret it.

I had a 5150 modded by many many moons ago. It was pretty fast...I'm talking like 2003. So 20 years ago. My only experience was good communication, and got my amp back maybe 2 months tops. But, what I thought and requested, wasn't what I got. Amp sounded way worse than stock...told him all the metal I was into, and he took all the snarl outta that sucker.

Hard to mod amps when you’re traveling on the road teching for artists like the smashing pumpkins all year. Because he’s been on the road, it’s hard to say he has a modding business.

If I were you id switch gears to getting your amp back.

I had a 5150 modded by many many moons ago. It was pretty fast...I'm talking like 2003. So 20 years ago. My only experience was good communication, and got my amp back maybe 2 months tops. But, what I thought and requested, wasn't what I got. Amp sounded way worse than stock...told him all the metal I was into, and he took all the snarl outta that sucker.

I am also starting to become afraid of this too because the way things have been going he either does not have the time to do it or he's set himself an unattainable deadline and may rush it, we'll see...

Hard to mod amps when you’re traveling on the road teching for artists like the smashing pumpkins all year. Because he’s been on the road, it’s hard to say he has a modding business.

If I were you id switch gears to getting your amp back.

Yea I was going to call him tomorrow, I kinda halfway hope he hasn't touched it, having regrets but hindsight is 20/20. I got relatives and friends that keep asking me about it and I don't know is the best answer I got. I don't think the guy would sell the amp from under me though, he's gotta be doing well working for all the bands he's worked for the past 2 years

Sucks to hear.

He and I used to stay in touch pretty regularly back in the HCAF days. I even stopped by their shop one afternoon, and saw him with a band he was playing in at the time on a road trip up to NY, and had a great experience all around.

Yea I was going to call him tomorrow, I kinda halfway hope he hasn't touched it, having regrets but hindsight is 20/20. I got relatives and friends that keep asking me about it and I don't know is the best answer I got. I don't think the guy would sell the amp from under me though, he's gotta be doing well working for all the bands he's worked for the past 2 years
He once tried to charge a random fan of his $200 an hour to talk about the mods he wanted for his amp. The dudes a greedy dick that kisses ass to rich artists to stay relevant because by the sounds of it, his mods aren’t doing so hot.

You’re not the first person to complain about him sucking as a business owner treating the small fish like ass while kissing the big fish ass all over social media. This is 2023. Who lies to people saying you’ll do something and then admit to it 2 years later that nothing has gotten done?

I just hope you get your amp back.

Last edited:
There are so many good resources on the net now, take a list of mods to a local guy after you get your amp back and you can probably scratch the mod bug that way. Or learn to do them yourself... I prefer working on amps compared to wiring guitars for example. But it can be finicky work.

i remember having a conversation with Mark Lewis once & he said something to the affect of " That's what that dude does, he sucks all the balls out of every amp"

i remember having a conversation with Mark Lewis once & he said something to the affect of " That's what that dude does, he sucks all the balls out of every amp"
I had a Voodoo modded 1959 RI.. Sounded almost spot on to JP "Screaming for Vengeance" tone. Then, I had a Voodoo modded Laney AOR. Sounded like chapped shit.

He once tried to charge a random fan of his $200 an hour to talk about the mods he wanted for his amp.
When I hear about this, that was enough for me. I realize you can't be on the phone all day running a business, but that is just insulting.

Back