Vox AC4TV 'mods' were a success

GuitarGuy08

Hello all,

Some years ago I picked up a used Vox AC4TV used at the local shop I was giving lessons at. Used to be the owner/my friend's little gigging amp. Had a cool tone when used with my partscaster 'Zed' so I picked it up.

After using it on and off for a couple years or so now, the amp was pretty rough sounding overall:

Boxy, anemic, scratchy. Even when using the speaker out into larger cabinets, the amp sounded thin and small.

Popping a Mullard into the input helped smooth out the top end, solidify the bass and make the mids more vocal, but the amp still is just 'meh'.

I got to looking online and found some simple mods/changes recommended online. Went to a friend's last night and did the following:

Put a Sozo mustard cap in C5.

Put a Silver Mica in C4.

Huge difference. Wow. To the point where it makes you wonder why these were not added stock. The bass end is actually THERE. It is far, far superior.

C5 really bumped up the bass response and fullness to a desirable degree.

C4 is for the tone knob. This was basically unusable/did nothing. Now we actually get some effect when using the knob.

Will probably replace the output tube with some NOS to give it another edge but for now, pretty satisfied.

Parts were cheap and it did not take us long to get it all soldered up and back together. Well worth it!

There’s a ton of great people on here with massive amounts of knowledge. I would post on the main board and tech section for any questions or advice. You landed on otc right here and sometimes this place will make the Hamas attack look like a Sunday stroll….lol
The OTC is one of my favorite things about the entirety of this site. You do not get many places where Free Speech is being protected. I think you guys do a great job of watching the line and being sure not to do anything until it has been crossed.

I definitely see tons of knowledge on here that is far beyond myself. I will be sure to reach out for any advice for sure, lots to learn here.

The OTC is one of my favorite things about the entirety of this site. You do not get many places where Free Speech is being protected. I think you guys do a great job of watching the line and being sure not to do anything until it has been crossed.

I definitely see tons of knowledge on here that is far beyond myself. I will be sure to reach out for any advice for sure, lots to learn here.
To late…you quoted me…lol…😜

Back