W/D/W - whats your setup ?

Then scratch your head when you use an amp head and 4x12. Like “what happened to my sound”. 🤣. Having a good w/d/w rig is a curse.
Agreed
My core gain tones are the amp dry, so it works out. The wet side is pretty much used for ambient cleans except for a very few settings.
But yeah......... Its hard to go back. There is no situation where a single 412 mixed will get there... 3 is passable, but 4 cabs with the wets separated to the extremes in the room and 2 drys in the center is pure magic. :yes:

Rack Rig 10.0 C.jpg

For my Wet/Dry rig: I use a Friedman BE100 into a 4x12 with greenbacks and run a cable from the "Line Out" jack on the BE100 into a Boss chorus and then into an analog delay. The output from the delay goes into the effects return of a Crate PowerBlock, which powers a Mesa Boogie 1x12 Thiele cabinet. The sound is INSANE and the cost for the entire "Wet" part of the rig is very low.

What is the basic idea behind WDW?

I reckon I get the thing about keeping FX out of your BIGASS TONE RIG...but if that's your bent...then let the PA do it?

I grew up in the stereo era.

Delays in my 2 4x12s make me happy.

Agreed
My core gain tones are the amp dry, so it works out. The wet side is pretty much used for ambient cleans except for a very few settings.
But yeah......... Its hard to go back. There is no situation where a single 412 mixed will get there... 3 is passable, but 4 cabs with the wets separated to the extremes in the room and 2 drys in the center is pure magic. :yes:
^^^^ I often run 4 4x12 cabs this way and I can verify is indeed an awesome sound.Very hard to go back to 1 or 2 cab Mono after that.
And as for the basic idea of w/d/w?
Oh man, there's so many; you get to hear your sound as its intended to be,total control of your mix,you can swap out different amps,cabs,effects,rigs,etc.a/d/a conversions are left in the dust,....so many more reasons,plus it's just a ton of fun too

Last edited:
What is the basic idea behind WDW?

I reckon I get the thing about keeping FX out of your BIGASS TONE RIG...but if that's your bent...then let the PA do it?

I grew up in the stereo era.

Delays in my 2 4x12s make me happy.
This is more about your on stage tonal footprint, if you play out...lots to haul to a gig but a blast to play with the band. I didn't do it too often though. So if you don't play out, it's more about the stereo effect when you split the wet cabs up with some space, while your dry cabs are in the middle of the split wet cabs. One wet cab might be set with a long delay; while the other wet cab's delay is just a bit shorter. When you play the rig set up like this you get this huge swirling tone in the room that fills it from every possible point in the room....your rig is now stereo and sounds incredible. Hard to describe but it's like the first time you heard a good stereo when you were younger....it sounded so much better than whatever you had heard before.

This is more about your on stage tonal footprint, if you play out...lots to haul to a gig but a blast to play with the band. I didn't do it too often though. So if you don't play out, it's more about the stereo effect when you split the wet cabs up with some space, while your dry cabs are in the middle of the split wet cabs. One wet cab might be set with a long delay; while the other wet cab's delay is just a bit shorter. When you play the rig set up like this you get this huge swirling tone in the room that fills it from every possible point in the room....your rig is now stereo and sounds incredible. Hard to describe but it's like the first time you heard a good stereo when you were younger....it sounded so much better than whatever you had heard before.

How much ‘benefit’ would you say there is to w/d/w vs stereo (or even w/d) when playing around at home?

How much ‘benefit’ would you say there is to w/d/w vs stereo (or even w/d) when playing around at home?
It’s more about having fun…and it’s a blast to play through; which is the main point. More enjoyment with the gear. I play my rigs individually; together and together with my WDW.
Is there a practical purpose for these setups? Not really.
But the WDW sure is fun to fire up.

It’s more about having fun…and it’s a blast to play through; which is the main point. More enjoyment with the gear. I play my rigs individually; together and together with my WDW.
Is there a practical purpose for these setups? Not really.
But the WDW sure is fun to fire up.
To add… you can use any amp you love as your dry sound then use W/D/W and make it sound killer.

Right now I’m using my Randall RG100ES. Going into two dry 4x12. Then using a line to go go into a mixer and Korg DL8000R into a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 into two more 4x12’s. The total cost of my rig is $3,700 (not including my guitar) and it blows away a $3,699 amp with a $600 4x12. Not even close.

To add… you can use any amp you love as your dry sound then use W/D/W and make it sound killer.

Right now I’m using my Randall RG100ES. Going into two dry 4x12. Then using a line to go go into a mixer and Korg DL8000R into a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 into two more 4x12’s. The total cost of my rig is $3,700 (not including my guitar) and it blows away a $3,699 amp with a $600 4x12. Not even close.

Are all those 4x12 identical? Do you have dry going in the wets, also?

I ran an RG80 ES combo into the Roland SDE 3000s into the HH....fantastic modded Marshall tone...those Randalls are so underrated.

For the opening post,
Some of my most favorite tones of the gods are when I run a CAE 3+ se into my vht 2100 out to 2 4x12 dry center cabs, while running a soldano x88r thru a tc 2290 and eventide ( thru a cae line mixer)to vht 2150 l/r wet 4x12 cabs...man...I just love it..

Used to do w/d/w, now do w/d

Always 100% wet on fx

Larry Dino line out > power station line in, fx all in power station loop > speaker out to 1/2 of stereo 4x12

Super simple, super effective

for me… I’d rather not have my entire signal go through AD/DA conversion. I don’t care how “transparent“ an effects unit might be, there’s always some tone suck. With a W/D set up , it’s sounds a lot better and only a small portion of the signal goes thtough the AD/DA conversion.
For me it was strictly this, I was tired of my core gain tones sounding so different after passing through all the processing, even when bypassed it sounded worse than without it altogether. The WDW thing was purely a means to an end that turned out much cooler than I anticipated once I got the gremlins out

Back