W/D/W - whats your setup ?

acev

Hi,

For those who use W/D/W or W/D - whats your setup, power amps (solid state or tube), mixers, do you run fx 100% wet ?

I run various amps as my dry, but I like to run them into my W/D/W rig which consists of the following.

Use a custom Suhr ISO box to get a line level signal. I run that into a Mark L Custom stereo line mixer. For effects I use an Eventide Eclipse and Korg DL8000R. I run it all into a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 power amp which is modified for depth circuits for each channel. Note that my “wet” cabinets have both wet and dry signals running through them.

I run various amps as my dry, but I like to run them into my W/D/W rig which consists of the following.

Use a custom Suhr ISO box to get a line level signal. I run that into a Mark L Custom stereo line mixer. For effects I use an Eventide Eclipse and Korg DL8000R. I run it all into a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 power amp which is modified for depth circuits for each channel. Note that my “wet” cabinets have both wet and dry signals running through them.

Sounds great - I use Bray LO-1 to tap the speaker signal and it sucks some tone, not so clear as directly amp to cab. I wonder if Suhr ISO is worth the upgrade.

Sounds great - I use Bray LO-1 to tap the speaker signal and it sucks some tone, not so clear as directly amp to cab. I wonder if Suhr ISO is worth the upgrade.
I use custom Suhr ISO boxes, not the production model.
1631191903918.jpeg

I just explained mine on the "how do you dial in your sound" thread, but I take the line out from my Larry Dino into the line in of a fryette PS1, and run my rack and time effects thru the ps1 loop. That goes into one half of a stereo 4x12. I have a tuner, gate, and a sparkle drive in front of the amp, and the amps speaker out goes into the other half of the 4x12.

A lot of people will say that you "have" to have two different cabs for separation and the stereo kind of effect, but in my experience if you can differentiate tonally between the two sides of the cabinet the effect remains intact.

No line mixer necessary, at least in my case, for pretty bog standard wet dry. The mvp of my setup is definitely the power station.

Edit: and yes, my time based fx are 100% wet.

I use to run W/D/W...now I just do W/D... sounds just as good to me. I don't really use much FX beyond a little reverb and delay.

Amp Line Out > Musicom Lab Parallelizer > Strymon DIG, Strymon Blue Sky, Lexicon MPX1 > Musicom Lab Parallelizer > Fryette PS100 > Wet Cab

Will sometimes run a noise gate and/or an EQ in the loop of the amp.

I use a Bray LO-1 like this: Amp (Marshall Superlead) line out with LO-1 - Delay - Reverb - Marshall DSL40CR FX Loop Return. I like to have the delay and reverb mixed in with the dry signal so it's not 100% wet. Sounds awesome.

I'm running radial shotgun to split my signal then routing it to a buxom betty combo with some friedman gain pedals in front and a butterslax for my "dry" or center amps, then running other outputs from the shotgun to a JJ-100 half stack on one side, and a JJ Jr. Combo w/ 112 extension cab on the other side with an Eventide H9 max in the loop of both amps running stereo delays and verbs and everything else the H9 does.

I used Bray LO-1, but I think it sucks tone, low end get a little bloated and muddy - also the level of line out knob affected the dry amp sound. So now I take preamp out from the 5153 head to Musicom Parallelizer mixer, BOSS DD500 and Boss MD500 for fx, all in parellel loops 100% wet. With seperate dry control on the mixer I add about 30% dry sound. Mixer goes to Palmer Macht 402 poweramp and to two outside cabs. Sounds pretty good.

I wonder if Suhr ISO is worth the upgrade.
Yes the Suhr it worth the upgrade IMHO. The Suhr is a transformer isolated signal design much like what's incorporated in the the famous Jose load box. The Suhr provides the exact signal tone, it does not color the tone or impart any noise to the tapped signal. For any W/D/W or instance where you need to tap your amps signal to feed effects and into another amp I highly recommend the Suhr Iso Line out. I own two of them and I''ve been using them trouble free for over ten years.

Great topic!

I've been on a huge mission to get a W/D rig put together and have everything except 1 important item..

The 'Suhr ISO Line Out' is nowhere to be found these days. I've been looking for months and have exchanged numerous emails with Suhr on how to get one with very little help. I'm told must be got through a dealer but I haven't had a Surh dealer want to help me out on that so I feel completely stuck. Spent a bunch on the setup not realizing the final item (Suhr ISO Line Out) would be so difficult to find. :(

Does ANYBODY have any ideas or leads on where to locate one or are these becoming unicorns?
So confused what to do...

Thanks for any help

I also searched many places for Suhr ISO line out, but havent seen any for sale recently.

Here is short crappy clip with some stereo delay and chorus. Any other clips are welcome, always fun to hear WDW rigs.

I have 2 different w/d/w rigs. One is 3 amp heads out to 3 4x12s.Basic,easy.no mixer required.
The other is my favorite tho: 2 20 space racks with bradshaw mixers,switchers, etc.Love it.It does everything but make your coffee in the morning.
Mixers and switchers are CAE.Dry power amp is vht 2150.Wet power amp is vht 2100 classic. With the cae system,I can mix in some dry in the wet cabs or none at all.Its up to me.

Great topic!

I've been on a huge mission to get a W/D rig put together and have everything except 1 important item..

The 'Suhr ISO Line Out' is nowhere to be found these days. I've been looking for months and have exchanged numerous emails with Suhr on how to get one with very little help. I'm told must be got through a dealer but I haven't had a Surh dealer want to help me out on that so I feel completely stuck. Spent a bunch on the setup not realizing the final item (Suhr ISO Line Out) would be so difficult to find. :(

Does ANYBODY have any ideas or leads on where to locate one or are these becoming unicorns?

Thanks for any help
I'm "pretty" sure I still have one? Sorry to sound flaky but I haven't done the W/D thing in 8 years or so. I'll have to look in my storage, but I'll let you know.

I run line out of my Triple into a Roland SD 3000 and out to one side of my HH M900; same as the V800 with 2 less in/outs. Out of that to an 83 B cab with first version T75s. The other side is the Bray LO box between the 72 Trem head and cab, into another SD3000 and out to the other side of the HH; out of that into a 73 A cab with a mix of Pulsonic Hs and H 30 Anni. I don't notice any tone suck with the Bray though? Does yours have the pull knob for phase issues? The only time I've noticed a tone issue was with the Mono 2204 I had but it was solved with me pulling the level knob. Apparently it was a phase issue causing this.

I've been working on this for a long time, had either noise or phasing issues so I gave up twice but came back later and finally made it work like it should. I can run this setup with any of my heads, although it's a pita to mike up for recording. I have a Suhr line out that works better than anything else I've tried, but it sends a signal that is slightly brighter and seems to lack the depth of the tone coming from the cabs. At some point I just decided it was the nature of the beast, but I suspect Dave ran into something similar and found a better solution. The ISO box sends signal to the ES8 controller which handles order, midi switching and on/off duties for a Strymon Big Sky, a Strymon Timeline, a Pigtronix Echolution Ultra Pro, a Fulltone Deja Vu, a TC Timefactor, and a Boss EQ 200 which is programmed for wet level of each patch in addition to EQ settings. From the board it goes out in full stereo to a Marshall 9200 power amp that runs 2 Marshall 412 cabs that are positioned in extreme corners of the room and angled upward at the ceiling so the stereo effect is absolutely stunning. The dry section is run through 2 Marshalls that are loaded with a greenback/V30 mix in the center of the room.
The wet cabs are approx 30 ft apart and up on risers and angled back. The EQ200 is usually set somewhat darker for the wet signals. I don't know if the brighter perception is the Suhr ISO box or nearly 50 feet of Mogami cable that ties it all together, but regardless it works great and the wet stereo spread in the room swirls and echos above you while the meat in the center is completely unaffected by it. I don't gig anymore, we just record our stuff so I don't have to move and setup all that stuff, but it would take a lot of time to set it up live. I'm curious to get Daves take on his custom ISO box compared to the production unit because I'm pretty sure he tried it first. Not downing the production unit, it's better than my other attempts at the same end, but I would guess the custom units sound better or Dave would not have gotten 2 of them.

Great topic!

Thanks for any help

The Reactive Load can serve the same purpose when connecting the thru to a cab. Catch the line out to your FX. - costs a bit more but also has dual purpose. Output specs are the same.

The Reactive Load can serve the same purpose when connecting the thru to a cab. Catch the line out to your FX. - costs a bit more but also has dual purpose. Output specs are the same.

Yep. if you use the Suhr Reactive Load and plug in your own cabs, you still get the line out but the internal load is defeated and the signal uses the load of your real cab instead.

Back