Wall O’ Marshall

Checked eBay - didn’t see $39 per. All were much more, maybe $39 at the store?
Yeah from the store. I got mine from West Covina IKEA.

Ok they're actually only 34.99 each. Wow.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-30263844/

And thanks, 311splawndude. Much better…

A9stK2sl.jpg

Id go one step further and swap A3 with C2

That gives the 3 knob modded on the bottom, vertical inputs on the 2nd row, vintage on top.

👍

It looks like they'll fit EVH amps, but you'll have to remove the side handles.

EVH's without the side handles: 29 and 3/4ths inches wide
IKEA Billy interior: 29 and 7/8ths inches wide

Not much wiggle room.

Edit: The EVH is also half an inch deeper than that shelf. Probably not a deal breaker and you should still be able to set the amp flush with the front without much trouble, but it's worth knowing.

Last edited:
That looks killer. How warm does it get inside when running a 100W with volume for a couple hours?

Overheating is unavoidable with the closed back of the shelves and the amp's head top vents being so close to the upper level. Looks good but not really functional. I've seen people use some kind of metal grill shelves for stacking amp heads that seems much better suited IMHO. Of course it would not look as pretty in a living room.

I didn’t have any overheating issues. As I had stated above, I cut square openings into the back panel so the amps had ventilation. You can cut a fairly large opening because the amp will cover it. Same idea as amps in a road case being used live. No ventilation on top but the back is open.

You can also just leave the back panel off if you really want a lot of ventilation.

Awesome looking wall of Marshalls. I am not nearly so tidy but love a wall of Marshalls all the same.

Attachments

• Marshalls008.jpg
    Marshalls008.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 46
I'm curious, did anybody else ever end up putting an ikea billy shelf together for their amps like @RedPlated did? I've been thinking about it and I was wondering if there were any more examples out there of what people have done with them.

I re-organized these amps today. They look pretty killer in the $35 IKEA bookcases. This is the way to go for amp storage. I have black ones too on the opposite wall with all my non-Marshall amps.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-white-30263844/

Updated arrangement thanks to 311splawndude:

A9stK2sl.jpg

That looks good. But, are the cases from IKEA pretty strong? A lot of the stuff I have seen from IKEA isn’t very high quality. I would just be worried about the ampalanche being triggered. You are confident in the strength of these?

Being a Swede I use IKEA for my amps as well 😁 These are “Bror” shelves. They are made of metal and can handle some weight.
View attachment 129334
I would feel much more confident that an ampalanche could not be triggered in these. I could sleep more sound with my amps in sturdy metal shelves. But the original post looks pretty cool in the uniform manner of his setup. But so does this.

I would feel much more confident that an ampalanche could not be triggered in these. I could sleep more sound with my amps in sturdy metal shelves. But the original post looks pretty cool in the uniform manner of his setup. But so does this.
These are real sturdy. I even have one in the garage gym for storing some weights on. Every shelf can handle up to 70 KG, so it should be more than enough for any amp 👍🏻

Are you guys using the amps in those Ikea shelves or pulling them out as and when you need them? They look perfect for storage and cheap enough that I wouldn’t mind then sagging/wearing a bit over time.

I tend to use racking shelves so there’s more room for heat to escape and so I can get behind them as there’s always inevitably switches and impedance things I need to adjust. Really hard finding a solution that ticks all the boxes

If you are willing to invest a bit more, Uline makes really nice heavy duty wire shelves that adjust in one inch vertical notches, no tools required, super easy assembly. Come in a variety of dimensions, can get liners to prevent feet or small items falling through. I got a 4 shelf one 60"w x 18"d x 54"h, was about $300 shipped. Pedal board fits under bottom shelf, sturdy enough to hold multiple heads, cabs, combos with easy wiring & ventilation. Black are cheaper, come in white and chrome too.

https://www.uline.com/BL_3921/Black-Wire-Shelving

That looks good. But, are the cases from IKEA pretty strong? A lot of the stuff I have seen from IKEA isn’t very high quality. I would just be worried about the ampalanche being triggered. You are confident in the strength of these?

Yeah they're surprisingly sturdy. I've been using them for years now with zero issues.

Back