Was EVH using his old trusty Marshall still in 1985?

Imagine if EVH sucked at playing guitar?? He experiments and achieves killer tones just to sound like shit because he plays like shit?!

Which begs the question...which came first, the tone or the skills?
I think they’re 2 independent things and he happened to be good at both. If he was a bad guitarist, his tone would still be great, but he wouldn’t get the recognition because of the bad playing. I know quite a few guys actually that are bad players but know how to dial in great tone and how to achieve it and the opposite: great players with bad tone

I think they’re 2 independent things and he happened to be good at both. If he was a bad guitarist, his tone would still be great, but he wouldn’t get the recognition because of the bad playing. I know quite a few guys actually that are bad players but know how to dial in great tone and how to achieve it and the opposite: great players with bad tone

Absolutely. This mirrors my comment from earlier about my friend with the Behringer half stack.

The magic seems to happen when players have a firm grasp on both.

Absolutely. This mirrors my comment from earlier about my friend with the Behringer half stack.

The magic seems to happen when players have a firm grasp on both.
Exactly! Seems you gotta have both to be successful plus also good people skills/charisma and just insanely good luck (like Kirk Hammett maybe lol). Not that he’s actually bad like many say, but he seriously may have been the biggest musical lottery winner ever

Last edited:
So how does that explain for Dimebag, who was a skilled player?

Lmao flame shield activated!
His tone wasn’t my favorite either, but was something unique/different, was good enough to show what his playing does and was just fitting/effective within the context of the band’s music. Also with catchy enough riffs like Cowboys From Hell or Cemetery Gates tone can get overlooked unless it’s really that bad or good, but not many tones are that awful or great to distract from very catchy hooks

His tone wasn’t my favorite either, but was something unique/different, was good enough to show what his playing does and was just fitting/effective within the context of the band’s music. Also with catchy enough riffs like Cowboys From Hell or Cemetery Gates tone can get overlooked unless it’s really that bad or good, but not many tones are that awful or great to distract from very catchy hooks
I'm mildly serious. I dont hate his tone, but I don't get the worship for his tone.

For the matter, I also don't get all the hate for RRhoads' tone either.

You know that feeling when you’re at a high school talent show and all the parents are sitting there, and that one girl gets up and sings completely flat, and you smile and nod with that encouraging look on your face, but inside you’re cringing and you’re just sad and embarrassed for her…
…Every time You post something, you are that girl.
I always waited for her after the show and told her she was great so I could ass fuck her in the backseat of my 78 4 door buick :hys: :confused: :cool: :yes:

I'm mildly serious. I dont hate his tone, but I don't get the worship for his tone.

For the matter, I also don't get all the hate for RRhoads' tone either.
I don’t care for either of those guys’ tone, but both good musicians. Don’t hate either, but never liked RR’s tone much. It takes a lot for me to actually hate one’s tone and even more to love it

I don’t care for either of those guys’ tone, but both good musicians. Don’t hate either, but never liked RR’s tone much. It takes a lot for me to actually hate one’s tone and even more to love it
To be honest, I never even thought about his tone until I saw his listed as one of the 10 worst tones in a guitar magazine some years ago.

I don't mind RRs tone, it's fine for the time period, and he had some killer guitars. Killer player, and writer.

Dime on the other hand, I fucking hate his tone. He had some insanely catchy riffs and stuff but that scratchy, scooped solid state sound is the literal antithesis of what I like. Plus the rapper tough guy image of Pantera was everything I thought was gayer than AIDS about 90s metal.

I'm sure plenty of people don't like Jon Schaffer or Kai Hansen or Victor Smolskis tones though, the stuff I'm into.

Never thought of it either. Just focused on the musical content he presented. The 1st guitar guitar solo in Mr Crowley is still my favorite. How can we even notice the tone when hearing those notes
The first album tone wasn't the best; but you learn that they had a very small budget to make that record. Great songs though....timeless and classic. I do like the tone on Diary though..not perfect but it's a good representative of a raw Marshall tone.
Diary is probably my favorite album ever.

You guys keep talking about Marshalls. I don't see any Marshalls in the pics I posted.

Here is a pic of Eddie while he recorded Eruption. Notice there are no Marshalls. He is literally sitting on his speaker cabinet to get the most vibes and has his foot on the tone. Looks like a Hughes and Kettner to me :dunno: There is some random no name amp in back ground there. You can disregard that. Nothing is plugged into it. They probably used it like a rolling chest or table to put stuff on. Sources first. Facts later.

yQ2QAy4.jpg

You guys keep talking about Marshalls. I don't see any Marshalls in the pics I posted.

Here is a pic of Eddie while he recorded Eruption. Notice there are no Marshalls. He is literally sitting on his speaker cabinet to get the most vibes and has his foot on the tone. Looks like a Hughes and Kettner to me :dunno: There is some random no name amp in back ground there. You can disregard that. Nothing is plugged into it. They probably used it like a rolling chest or table to put stuff on. Sources first. Facts later.

yQ2QAy4.jpg

Makes sense - he got all that brilliant high end with an acoustic 8 string mandolin.

Glad we could clear that up with your source.

yQ2QAy4.jpg
Actually he plugged that Mandolin into that trash bin to get the brown sound.

The name comes from the fact that the Studio engineers shat themselves from a disbelief of Ed's new invention.

yQ2QAy4.jpg
Sure looks like a Marshall sitting there to me

Back