Well, Adam Jones still has monster live tone

Saw them last night. Good show! Adam's rig was the typical Marshall/VH4 combo. He busted out the flying V for Invincible. We had awesome seats just above/behind and to the left of the sound booth.
Recorded from that show. I really love this song.

I just did business with Adam / Tool. He's got some vintage Marshalls that needed tubes, and he prefers NOS Siemens and Mullard XF2 EL34's. So six quads of my NOS glass shipped out on Tuesday to his management team in LA.

And those are custom made touring buses for the road crew.
Of course he does! Nothing beats vintage glassware.

I looked the gross $ from beginning till now on recording sales. Somebodies a trust fund baby :yes:

I looked the gross $ from beginning till now on recording sales. Somebodies a trust fund baby :yes:

They are selling out 18K - 20K seat arenas. Average of at least $100/ticket. 54 shows this tour. That's $108,000,000 gross for just ticket sales. Multiply that by at least 20 years and countless tours and you've got more than 2 Billion dollars in revenue. For just ticket sales. Then you have album sales, merchandise, side projects, licensing deals, appearances... I don't think they're dipping into inheritance to keep the machine running lol

I read somewhere the other day that the band is getting 1 Mil per show. No idea how much truth there is to that. That works out to $40 per ticket in a 25k seat area. Seems plausible, I guess.

They are selling out 18K - 20K seat arenas. Average of at least $100/ticket. 54 shows this tour. That's $108,000,000 gross for just ticket sales. Multiply that by at least 20 years and countless tours and you've got more than 2 Billion dollars in revenue. For just ticket sales. Then you have album sales, merchandise, side projects, licensing deals, appearances... I don't think they're dipping into inheritance to keep the machine running lol
My statement is an assumption as is yours. It cost alot to put on one show for starters they have to pay the venue :yes: In 1978 Greensboro coliseum was 12k.

My statement is an assumption as is yours. It cost alot to put on one show for starters they have to pay the venue :yes: In 1978 Greensboro coliseum was 12k.
Right but it's not like this is their first big tour. They know what they're getting into. My guess is that this is where they make most of their money. And I would imagine a lot of the stuff is re-used.

And regarding ticket prices, they START at around a hundo before fees for upper, upper level to the side and go up a lot from there.

OT - I want an old, used laser from some band for my MSB. I'll try not to blind myself.

I chose my words quite carefully. Terms like gross and revenue have meaning. Of course they have to pay the venue. And a host of other parties. The point is, they're not struggling and as others have said... it's pretty funny this is even up for debate after they've been selling out arenas for the better part of 30 years lol

I heard Maynard had to start making wine to support the band as there is no money in the music industry anymore

I was just watching a video from the show in Miami a few days ago and spotted three Mesa combo's...anyone know whats up with those?!?! Clean tones?

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.40.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.50.48 AM.png

Pretty cool.

Cliffs: Not really much to see. They paused the set and used spotlights to help emergency response personnel get to the person up front that had collapsed. Maynard tells bad jokes in the interim.

Pretty cool.

Cliffs: Not really much to see. They paused the set and used spotlights to help emergency response personnel get to the person up front that had collapsed. Maynard tells bad jokes in the interim.

I was at that concert. This happened right before the final song of the show. Funny, I didn't even get the Mexican beer part of the joke until I heard it again just now.

I got screwed out of seeing them on this tour….twice, essentially. Got tix pre-covid for the two Florida shows that got cancelled. Tix were on the wife’s credit card so I paid her for my share plus the ticket we got for a friend….then we got divorced before the credit card money was returned. Those tickets were like $350 a piece (not from a re-seller, straight from Ticketmaster). When they re-booked the shows down here, I didn’t even want to take the chance of running into her so I said ”Fuck it, I’ve seen them before and Maynard’s been phoning it in for the last 10 years.”

One of the best live bands I’ve ever seen and you can tell they’re a band that’s not relying on FOH to make them sound good. They’re certainly a band I didn’t truly ‘get’ until I saw them live and hearing those dynamics live is what made me really fall in love with them. Caught them first in ’02 on the Lateralus tour and man, they just KILLED it. It was up in Maine in the equivalent of a high school gym. Saw them again on the 10,000 Days tour and the sound sucked where I was seated, but they still sounded great overall.

The only band to come close to Floyd’s light show and while some see that as distraction from the music, I could only disagree in the context of both Tool and Floyd; it’s a perfect marriage. Especially with a tab or two of acid.

I just caught this show last night. Cleveland was the last stop on the tour. They played a great set. I always love the visuals that they put on with their performance. If you strip away the amazing graphics and lazer beams, they would be a really boring band to watch. Adam Jones sounds amazing, but he have no stage presence.

Side note also, that they actually play live. There is a lot of modern technology to have a show on a click track and have everyone on IEMs. They still rock monitors and count in on stick hits. They actually play live and don't force their show to a grid. Kudos to them.

Yeah they play too strong of riffs to have a lot of stage presence. Hard to dance around when you are actually playing live like you said. But agree he doesn't move much. Justin on the other hand, as my wife put it, looks like he is fucking his bass when he get going. Still doesn't move around stage much

Shit I'd go see them live even if the lead singer just hid in the background and was barely present/visible on stage...wait.... 😉

I just caught this show last night. Cleveland was the last stop on the tour. They played a great set. I always love the visuals that they put on with their performance. If you strip away the amazing graphics and lazer beams, they would be a really boring band to watch. Adam Jones sounds amazing, but he have no stage presence.

Side note also, that they actually play live. There is a lot of modern technology to have a show on a click track and have everyone on IEMs. They still rock monitors and count in on stick hits. They actually play live and don't force their show to a grid. Kudos to them.
I was there as well. KILLER show- I had never seen them live before.

Back