What are the differences between the herbert mk1 and mk2

More headroom on the clean channel and different transformers. It's also just a pinch heavier, which is a minus in my book because the MK1 is already very heavy.

There are NO voicing or feature changes.

RJF":o3bi4a7l said:
There are NO voicing or feature changes.
I'll have to disagree with you.

I own an original Diezel Herbert built ~in June of 2005. It is unique and IMO the very best Diezel Herbert made eeevvveeeerrrr!

There is actually one other Diezel Herbert such as mine that is being utilized at the Willy Wonka chocolate factory in England. It's being operated by five Oompa-Loompas using Herbert to power the "Wonkavision" camera that transported "Mike Teevee" (the little cowboy) across the room and returned the little boy the size of a "GI Joe" action figure.

bananaladonpcp":1drca4qc said:
Oh god... This is THE question about the Herbert.
I thought THE question about the Herbert is when it's going to be as good as the VH4 ??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Kidding of course :D

Mojo

Ventura":37x43shw said:
bananaladonpcp":37x43shw said:
Oh god... This is THE question about the Herbert.
I thought THE question about the Herbert is when it's going to be as good as the VH4 ??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Kidding of course :D

Mojo

UNCLE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Was the mk 2 ch1 headroom mod do-able to a Mk 1 (i.e. swap a couple of components/add a couple in across easy points), or is it a big change where the board was redesigned?

I once asked about more headroom back in 2007... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22857 !!! :)

Me":1gac2cyj said:
Was the mk 2 ch1 headroom mod do-able to a Mk 1 (i.e. swap a couple of components/add a couple in across easy points), or is it a big change where the board was redesigned?

I once asked about more headroom back in 2007... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22857 !!! :)

From what I have read it is not possible unless you ship it back to have the board swapped. This is one of the main reasons I opted for a MKII over the MKI, because I used to work for a company that did high-end, boutique music and electronic equipment work/modifications and still have many friends that work for this company. The thinking was I could get an MKI and do the mod to it myself to save some money, but it seems a bit more complicated than that. I also read that the board won't fit (???) because of the transformers' position in the MKI (which is why you have to have it shipped, I imagine).

Jens Kruse":1gac2cyj said:
Your amp is a MK-1 . You can not upgrade to a MK-2 unless you get the circuit board swapped which would be expensive. Besides, you would get only the ch1 update (impedance change for a cleaner voicing) and not the new transformers the MK-2s are equipped with.

Any questions please feel free to ask

Best regards,

Jens

Jens Kruse

I also believe that the MkII has a 1/4" foot switch receptacle that is dedicated to Diezel's FS7HA foot switch that they're currently working on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Hmmm... sounds expensive. If the transformers and everything get changed there's probably not much left other than the wooden box!

I shall hopefully be going to visit the boys at Diezel UK soon about cabs, so I might be able to have a fiddle with a MkII and see how much difference there is when I'm there. Seems a lot of work and expense though for an amp that's already very nice, but just could do with a spot more clean headroom. I thought my first Herbie did have a spot more headroom, maybe it was slightly different tubes/component tolerances, or maybe I imagined it.

SinDes1":1cgdiems said:
I also believe that the MkII has a 1/4" foot switch receptacle that is dedicated to Diezel's FS7HA foot switch that they're currently working on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

My MKI has a 1/4" foot switch on it.

Also I have never ran into an issue with not having enough head room on the clean channel with my MKI... My speakers distort LONG before the amp even thinks about it...

-Alex

I still don't get why someone would want to hunt down a mark 2 vs a mark 1. I've NEVER been able to distort my clean channel. 2. I don't think the new transformers change the tone any. 3. The mk2's all have internal bias points.

If I was on the hunt for another Herbert, it would be a mk1 with external bias points.

RJF":3907yhl4 said:
I still don't get why someone would want to hunt down a mark 2 vs a mark 1. I've NEVER been able to distort my clean channel. 2. I don't think the new transformers change the tone any. 3. The mk2's all have internal bias points.

If I was on the hunt for another Herbert, it would be a mk1 with external bias points.

Dude +100000 on that.

-Alex

RJF":1ovh1bo2 said:

Again, I've yet to A/B a 1 vs. 2, however, the fact that there is such a fervent, ongoing debate about this is proof enough that there is no definitive finding one way or the other. And I would imagine that if Herr Diezel even bothered to take the time to release a mk2 then there is a legitimate reason and it is a worthwhile endeavor. It's not like he's just slapping an extra "I" on the amp just for the hell of it.

A lot of threads I've read (even on this very forum) are filled with members claiming the 2 is better, other threads people are talking about the 1s being better. And then there's also people claiming you can't even A/B two 1s against each other as no two will sound 100% alike. So ultimately the entire argument sounds pretty subjective and arbitrary. Be that as it may, considering I only had to wait a week longer to get an mk2 for only $100 more than a 1, I don't really feel like I wasted my time or fear I will be disappointed, quite the opposite, really. As I stated in another thread, when I looked up numerous threads on this forum and many others, the majority of people polled on the 1 vs. 2 question generally stated the 2 was preferable to the 1 for a host of reasons. I didn't want to take my chances on a 1, hear someone's 2 some day and wish I had gotten it....but, again, I may hear someone's 1 some day and do the same thing anyway with my 2.... Who knows? I'm not too worried either way, it's not like I went to much trouble or paid more than a few bucks more for the 2.

Did you guys ever really look at the transformers on the MK I ? They are massively expensive Langer Custom PT and Langer VH4 OT. I could not imagine that they cost Peter lest than $ 200-300 Euros each. OUCH !!!! Maybe more ? There are probably les than 1600 Herbert's in the world and I don't think Peter would get a very good discount buying them in such small quantities. A deal like Marshall has with Dagnall would be great for Peter.

So,

1. Re-Designed Transformers
2. Vandalism Input Mod on Ch.1 (for those slamming the front end with 30K pickups)
3. German Bundestag Electrical Regulations on no external user adjustments
4. Says, "MKII" on front.
5. Still Says Herbert on front

It's a herbert.... :rock:

I've owned both the Mk1 and Mk2. They sounded pretty close on ch. 2 and ch 3. Enough so that it wouldn't matter.

Back