What attenuator(s) are you using for your NMV amps these days?

I’ve been using my Ho attenuator for at least 15 years now. I did recordings with the amp wide open vs the attenuated tone and the attenuated tone was about 98% spot on the non attenuated. The attenuated tone just a tad less bottom, and thats an ez fix. So I’ve stuck with that one.

I've owned the following: THD Hotplate, TAD Silencer, Fryette PS-2 Powerstation, Aracom P-150, Scumback DBLimiter (aka Alex Attenuator). From my own experience I preferred the Scumback/Alex over the rest of them. The Aracom was great but I wish it had a treble boost function for the highest levels of attenuation like the Scumback. The PS-2 was a bit weird in the feel and sound when it was really quiet. I'd still like to try the Toneking Ironman.

I'm thinking more along the lines of bringing a cranked NMV amp down to 100dB or so, not whisper quiet don't wake the baby bedroom levels.
I tried that route with a big Marshall for gigs but personally think an amp/speakers more suited to that dB range is the better choice especially now that some of the more premium attenuators cost as much as a new amp. A 20-35 watt amp with some lower efficiency speakers and an OD will get you in that ballpark too IME.

zl9AcrY.png

I use a Pulse Attenuator....basically a Jettenuator clone(by Soldano). Works great. I like the tone better than the PS100 I had...go figure. The PS is a great piece of kit though, and does soo much like adding a loop, use as a WDW power amp, etc.
But I just didn't like the tone when used as an attenuator. Pulse sounded better to me. I also have a separate WDW mini rack so no need for the PS in that regard.

On board compressor, reverb, delay, EQ and boost, plenty of IR slots and all MIDI controllable. Waza TAE does more than everything else so that’s the box I’m using at the moment. Haven’t dealt with a delay pedal, fx loop or 4cm live in 5yrs

This. If I have to play quietly it sounds a lot better running an amp through my Suhr RL and then into my DAW with an IR loader while I listen on headphones, vs through a cab. Quiet cab levels don’t sound as good.
Pretty sure he was suggesting actually re amping the signal with another amp. This is what the power station does for example. I don’t know how it would achieve a better sound, but I don’t really understand the difference between a load box and an attenuator. My rock crusher can function as a load box, so I just guessed the attenuator feature simply allows some of the signal through. But maybe they are totally different things. 🤷‍♂️

I had the Two Notes Torpedo, but the attenuation was only two settings and that didn't make me happy.
Bought that more for headphone capability which I never employed.

I then went to the Mesa Powerhouse attenuator, which was decent and small, but it did kill some tone. If I remember correctly, it had a warm switch and another treble switch that helped though.

I then moved on to the Powerstation PS2A which is fantastic.
Then sold it because I had a Friedman. MV and loop.

Had trouble with the Friedman head, sold it.

Built a couple amps, and my JTM45 has no master nor loop.
Repurchased the Fryette PS2A and couldn't be happier.
I think it works perfect for my needs.
I like my amp to have a decent amount of breakup, but yet can roll back the guitar volume to clean it up at a lower overall volume.
And the loop sounds great, especially after so many replied to not add the loop to my JTM.

Last edited:
Back