What cabs are you using these days?

Johan has tested this a lot. I actually prefer slants but I love mids.

You can hear the biggest difference on the room mic, there's definitely less top end on the slant cab, the straight cab sounds a tad more scooped too. You know, it's really not that big of a deal for me, I can rock a straight or slant cab no problems, I just prefer a straight cab ever so slightly.

You can hear the biggest difference on the room mic, there's definitely less top end on the slant cab, the straight cab sounds a tad more scooped too. You know, it's really not that big of a deal for me, I can rock a straight or slant cab no problems, I just prefer a straight cab ever so slightly.
And another thing I found interesting was that when close mic'd, the top speakers sounded different than the bottom speakers in both cabs. I thought the top speakers in the bottom cab sounded best when close mic'd.

Right cab for the right amp is always super important, but I tend to gravitate towards my Friedman be412 w/greenback top/v30 bottom combo, and, believe it or not, my crate blue voodoo v30 cab. That cab sounds incredible. Tight, punchy, sizzle on top but not too bright. Love it.

Regarding people speaking of the Deliverance cabs, I owned one and wanted to love it so bad, but that may have been my least favorite cab I've ever owned. #1, I'm not a fan of the p50e. I replaced them with k100's which I love, and the cab seems to just impart a weird hollowness no matter what speaker I threw at it. Woofy and hollow. Bummer.

Loving my Mesa OS 4x12 and Rivera open back 1x12 with Mesa 8 ohm V30. That speaker is the sound I grew up with and just “the sound in my head.”

I've had Fat Bottom and Deliverance cabs with p50es. Those speakers, as is the case with everything I've ever played that was made by Eminence, are complete crap. I absolutely hated those cabs because if them. When Fryette started putting Fanes in their cabs, I took a chance because I love my UL and wanted the half-stack to match. Now I have 3 of them and they're definitely my favorite cab. I've been through a lot of cabs including Bogner, Friedman, Diezel USA/German builds - FL and RL, Mesa, Mills Afterburner and traditional sized, scumback, Wizard, Avatar and Marshall.

G7Mh7p7.jpeg
I played an avatar not long ago that was one of the better cabs I’ve ever played!

I have one cab left, a bogner 2x12 with v30 and creamback. Great cab.

there is a killer bogner 4x12 in the classified at a great price.

Splawn 4x12, V30’s/Greenbacks and a Mesa Traditional slant with V30’s/75T. Just scored a Traditional straight today that’s a little rough so I’m gonna retolex it.

Last edited:
Splawn 412 with v30s right now... wanting to also get either a Mojo Tone British vertical 212 with WGS Veteran 30s or Mesa Rectifier Vertical 212.

Been looking everywhere. Seems they're discontinued. If you ever feel the need to sell please pm.
Will do... I was just browsing guitar center online, used section, someone snatched one. I'd keep an eye on GC used or FB marketplace as well.

Bogner 4x12 with RI Greenbacks on top, old v30’s on bottom. Killer cab. Never disappoints. Avatar 2x12 traditional that’s been an absolute workhorse for about 10 years. Put some 1981 G12-65 speakers in it that are fast becoming my favorite speaker.

Marshall JCM800 with Scumback M75s on top and J75's on bottom
Splawn 2x12 that I just pulled the small blocks from and replaced them with a pair of M75's :)

My old Mesa halfback 4x12 with c90s and EV12ms will kill you.

Still love my blue 30th Anniv Marshall with v30s though. And my Laney with 75s that is universally hated.

I had an evh 4x12. Hated the thing alone the whole time I had it. Only sounded good blended with the mills with v30s. Day I sold it, heard a guy play a sliver jubilee through it, and it was the most amazing sound I had heard. Now I wish i had that cab to try with the Warshall.

I put a pair of V-30s and a pair Creambacks in an EVH 4x12. I was heavenly. I regret selling that one, but I suppose I can always recreate it.

1968/9 Marshall basket weave with Pulsonic 25w greenbacks. The speakers are dated 12/68, so the cab is likely very early 69. It beats out pretty much everything else I have. The speakers are just magical.

The other cab I like a lot is a Friedman 4x12 with Alnico cream and v30 in an x pattern.

Splawn 4x12, V30’s/Greenbacks and a Mesa Traditional slant with V30’s/75T. Just scored a Traditional straight today that’s a little rough so I’m gonna retolex it.

Pretty much what I came here to say. My Mesa Trad Slant has 4- Mesa V30s and my Splawn has Small Blocks (like a modern Greenback). But yeah, don't forget about Splawn cabs. They are very well build and reasonably priced used.

You are familiar :yes:

zlR5dvQ.jpg

Pretty much what I came here to say. My Mesa Trad Slant has 4- Mesa V30s and my Splawn has Small Blocks (like a modern Greenback). But yeah, don't forget about Splawn cabs. They are very well build and reasonably priced used.

You are familiar :yes:

zlR5dvQ.jpg
Cool riser for the 2x12. I picked up a nice 2x12 recently (with old Marshall label G12-65s), and it'd be nice to get it raised up like that.

Back