What cheap tube amps do you like?

rsm

rsm

Well-known member
I have two 70s Fender Super Twin 2x12 combos, one needs work; got each for around or under $600.

I upgraded the speaker in my Marshall Origin50C to a Celestion G12M-65 creamback, and added a PRS 1x12 closed back Archon cab with a Celestion V-Type. Sounds better than it should given the price. Power scaling works great. using it with and without effects.

I purchased the Origin new, the creamback new, and the Archon new, probably around $1200 total.

I have a TC Electronic Impulse IR Loader pedal on the way, it has several Celestion cab/speaker IRs preloaded. I plan to run the send from the Origin into this IR loader pedal, then into a mono input on my VP4, then stereo out to a pair of powered PA cabs for W/D/W rig

Also got my Marshall JCM 900 SL-X for $1000K

What cheap (under $1500) tube amps do you like?
 
There's a million great cheap amps these days.

Peavey 1992

Engl Artist 50

PRS MT100

PRS Archon

KSR Orion

New hot rod deluxe

For under 1000 bucks

Orange dual terror

Engl Ravager

MIG 50

used hot rod deluxe

That's just immediately off the top of my head and not counting all the insane shit you can buy used

I'm sure there are dozens more

People are blessed to live in one of the best tone timelines of all time
 
I've been very happy with my Fillmore 25 - I bought based on @Bxlxaxkxe 's demo on Youtubes. It has a lot of tonal variation, good loop, decent reverb and is light as hell. I like the 6v6 crunch.

Although awesome, it is currently for sale cause I'm an amp whore 8') (& also because I've got an MGL on the way).
 
PV 5150/II
PV VTM 60/120
PV XXX
PRS MT15
Orange Dark Terror
Vox Night Train G2
Marshall Vintage Modern
Marshall JCM900 MKIII/SL-X
Hughes & Kettner Warp X
Ceriatone Chupa/Yeti/King Kong
Randall RG100ES
 
Randall RH100 hands down for me. Loved that amp and still do searches every now and then for one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsm
Randall rd1h
That Epiphone 5w tube head they had
Pretty much anything Tech 21 combo
Fender Frontman MIM combos from the 90's
(Whoops realize 2 arent tube related)
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsm
Almost every tube amp I’ve ever amp I’ve ever owned or own cost me less that $1500.

Actually all except my D-Style amp were all under $1100.

I think every Fender tube amp in this pic was under $1000.

I loved all the Fenders I owned in the below pic, and wished I still had most of them.

This includes all those Bassman heads. Super Reverb, Vibroverb, Pro Reverb, Deluxe Reverbs, Vibrolux Reverb, Princeton Reverbs,
Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb, and Vibrochamp
IMG_3140.jpeg


I still own all 3 of of these amazing Boogie amps.

The ‘84 Bubinga/ Wicker MKIIC+ loaded combo came with a road case cover and switch pedals for $1100

The ‘84 MKIIC+ 60 watt Black combo came with road case, cover, and switch pedals for $900

The ‘83 MKIIC loaded head I got for $600

IMG_4290.jpeg
 
Most of them tbh; I don't think I've ever played a tube amp I actively hated


I'll give the Peavey Prowler an honorable mention though I really don't know how cheap those are these days
 
Most of them tbh; I don't think I've ever played a tube amp I actively hated


I'll give the Peavey Prowler an honorable mention though I really don't know how cheap those are these days
Peavey Prowler, I just wonder how many of those amps...if we took out the butt hash Sheffield speakers, and just put in anything better...would have been good?
 
Two Absolutely best deals on the used market for rock / metal:

Marshall DSL100HR - $500 - $700

EVH 5150 Iconic - $600 - $800

From a guy who as owned many boutique amps...These two are unbelievable for the price
 
i like my gear like my women and bourbon
the cheaper the better.
not a tube amp but cheap and in almost 40 yrs never gave me an issue
20220828_104613.jpg


gigged though this.

20200420_194637.jpg
 
Peavey Bravo. Great little amp. 2 x el84's and 3 x 12ax7's. Sound even better with speaker upgrade.


 
Peavey Delta Blues has been my favorite cheap amp; bought it for $350 in 2019, played plenty of bar gigs with it, then it became my main home amp for years. Good for clean up to 70’s rock gain levels straight in, hit it with with a tube screamer and you can get borderline heavy with it.Sold it for about what I paid, after a few years of it taking a back seat to to my Mark V 25.

The classic 30 or classic 50 are based around the same design and also great.
 
I have two 70s Fender Super Twin 2x12 combos, one needs work; got each for around or under $600.

I upgraded the speaker in my Marshall Origin50C to a Celestion G12M-65 creamback, and added a PRS 1x12 closed back Archon cab with a Celestion V-Type. Sounds better than it should given the price. Power scaling works great. using it with and without effects.

I purchased the Origin new, the creamback new, and the Archon new, probably around $1200 total.

I have a TC Electronic Impulse IR Loader pedal on the way, it has several Celestion cab/speaker IRs preloaded. I plan to run the send from the Origin into this IR loader pedal, then into a mono input on my VP4, then stereo out to a pair of powered PA cabs for W/D/W rig

Also got my Marshall JCM 900 SL-X for $1000K

What cheap (under $1500) tube amps do you like?
I like my 2203x which was around 1150.-€ and a bit on the expensive side. For my '83 i had a while ago i paid 750.-€
I hope that's cheap enough. :D
 
The DSL series gets my vote
I had the 6505 mini head and that was super fun.
Not a popular opinion, but my Blackstar HT5 was fun as well.
 
Peavey Prowler, I just wonder how many of those amps...if we took out the butt hash Sheffield speakers, and just put in anything better...would have been good?

Mine was converted in to a head when I bought it so I never had that issue :LOL:
 
Back
Top