What happened to the price of tubes?!

Russian tubes have gone sky high but some Sino tubes are still reasonable…ish. Russian tubes have gone high enough that I only had to spend a little more than the price of a new pair of EHX 6V6 to get NOS RCA blackplates.

Preamp tubes are downright nuts. I have a bunch of Chinese 12Ax7’s and JJ ecc83s because I just don’t like them that much. I hVe thought about selling to fund buying a smaller supply of NOS/good used preamp tubes that aren’t completely nuts pricewise like Matsushitas and Tunsgram.

If it hadn’t been mentioned, a good place to buy Chinese tubes is Nesstone. They sell rebranded Chinese tubes, supposedly unique to their specifications but I don’t know if that’s true or not. I do know I have used their Nesstone EL34’s, KT88’s and 6L6’s and was happy with them.

Yes it is; while western Europe and North America continue to be invaded unchecked.
um Russia invaded Ukraine and did a really shitty job.
Nobody else is being invaded unless you watch Faux Knews in which case Hillary is eating babies and coming for your guns.
Don't know if you have traveled to Mexico or Canada recently as there are plenty of officials who will "check" you.

Last edited:
Soooooo, where are people buying from these days?

Looks like StewMac or Tube Depot have the cheapest EHX EL34s I can find (~$83 for a pair).

um Russia invaded Ukraine and did a really shitty job.
Nobody else is being invaded unless you watch Faux Knews in which case Hillary is eating babies and coming for your guns.
Don't know if you have traveled to Mexico of Canada recently as there are plenty of officials who will "check" you.
looks like the propaganda worked great on you.

but that's a discussion for OT :thumbsup:

View attachment 296312
View attachment 296315

Biden the Clown - Etsy
I trade commodities futures for energy companies professionally

I almost wish global markets of supply and trade were as simple to understand and explain as some of you uneducated idiots seem to think

A simple world view for simple people

My recent impression is that prices on tubes normalized a bit. But that just me and I don`t follow the market every day.

During the coof there was probabbly short suply in materials for the factories to produce tubes. Then there was the shutting down of the chinese manufacture and the sanctions on russia, which are now evaded by importing them from different countries that don`t have any sanctions.
TAD jumped into the gap and brought out their own line of tubes. Even Mesa uses them now.

The price rise you see now is probably the common inflation in your country

It's crazy what happens when you shut down businesses for over two years and flood the streets with trillions of dollars in printed money. Who would've thought???!! The foxes are in the henhouse and all it took was a couple of $1200 checks to silence the idiots.

Also, if you think the President of the United States has no bearing on the price of oil, think harder. I've been working in the oil and gas industry for over 20 years now and I can tell you that they absolutely do. US policy has a ripple effect across the whole market.

President Nixon closed the gold window in August 1971 ending the dollar's redemption for and backing by gold. Up until 1971 the price of gold was fixed, since 1971 is has “floated.” Today the US Mint does mint gold coins but they are not really US currency.Jun 18, 2023

Nixon a Republican did away with gold tendered US currency 53 yrs ago. Thank him for that.

I almost wish global markets of supply and trade were as simple to understand and explain as some of you uneducated idiots seem to think

It's good to know you know it all thanks to trading commodities futures for energy companies!

Of course adding any content to enlighten the serfs would be beneath you, since us simple folk wouldn't understand it anyway, right?

Here's @PaintChipsAreVegan and his coworkers back at the commodities trading desk, looking down at the serfs:

aristocrats.jpg

It's ok, I create AI systems (for a few decades) for all kinds of companies in all kinds of industries around the world; my main focus areas include finance, banking, insurance; executive information systems (c-suite); logistics/ shipping; manufacturing; military/defense; and we have others focused on other industry solutions.

You may have noticed a few retail brokerages / investment banks already have AI solutions, and are expanding; so do futures commodity trading companies, many going back decades.

I've simplified human knowledge worker tasks and/or completely eliminated the need for human workers in every AI solution I've worked on. The only exception was an early neural network solution for fraud detection which the legal department would not approve because of potential litigation challenges (most jurors would not understand the math, neither did the legal department). edit: this is known as "explainability" - where an AI system is able to "explain" how it arrived at a decision.

TL;DR, anyone working in trading / markets will be replaced by AI eventually. It's actually easier / less costly to replace white collar workers who work with data such as analysts, traders, etc., than it is to replace blue collar workers such as plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc.

Let us know when AI takes your job!

here's an RFC from earlier this year that may interest you: https://www.cftc.gov/PressRoom/PressReleases/8853-24

Last edited:

If you can predict the future id like some sports betting info when you're not too bust eating paint chips.
Must be difficult making a living by guessing.

• Haha
Reactions: Geo
If you can predict the future id like some sports betting info when you're not too bust eating paint chips.
Well, of all the many many folks who like to make predictions these days, at least energy traders put their money where their mouth is. Or their employer’s money anyways 🤣

you're better off predicting the future with AI :D

https://www.techopedia.com/gambling-guides/ai-sports-betting-predictions-sites

a word of caution, not all AI is created equal; some AI systems suffer from what's known as hallucinations - incorrect or misleading results, but they also seem plausible. ChatGPT, for example, suffers from hallucinations, and bias (though Google's Gemini wins the AI bias prize!)

Back