What is the best Les Paul you have ever played?

My Ruokangas Unicorn. I had almost given up on this style of guitar. This one changes everything. All three positions are perfect. 7.9lbs with zero weight relieving. Jumbo SS frets, better balance, ultra strong headstock, solid and clear low end, just enough “air” around the notes without chambering. They really nailed the recipe with this one.

286E5C31-A2AE-4A97-90A3-8CBE7F45013C.jpeg

My ‘82 Standard. Heavy as hell but sounds amazing!

Best I've ever played was a 70's standard with P-90s or mini hums, whatever they came with, That guitar just had "it".

Best I've owned, believe it or not, was a late 80's or early 90's studio. I regret selling that one.

My 77 standard weighs a ton and has been through hell, but it's a good player with a great sound.

The one in the middle. Its a stock 79 LPC and it is the best playing and sounding LP that I have played. I was told Slash tried to buy it from the previous owner.

Attachments

• P2070116.JPG
    P2070116.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
View attachment 88588
My ‘82 Standard. Heavy as hell but sounds amazing!

THAT's exactly the same LP I fell in love with, in 1989! 1982 Tobacoo Sunburst LP Standard!
Got it used at Hollywwood Guitar Center for 400 bucks. It had a hole under the bridge as some maniac had put (and removed) a Floyd Rose in it.
Went straight to a luthier and had the hole filled with mahogany and maple to restore it... and put Seymour Duncan 59 (N) and Allan Holdsworth (B) pickups on it.
MAN... that guitar was just unbelievable! Really fast neck with NO action fingerboard.... butter to play and hear.... magnificent Les Paul!
I believe those beauties originally came with Gibson Tim Shaw pick ups... a great PAF replica... the first ever tried actually. I have them on my 1984 ES335 DOT. Not sure my 1982 LP had them on board... who knows what that maniac did to it....
I miss it!

I had a 2006 59 VOS that was incredible but the best is the one I had built to my specs by my very good friend that is a luthier, it's been my number 1 guitar for almost 10 years now.

Attachments

• 20130727_074033.jpg
    20130727_074033.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
THAT's exactly the same LP I fell in love with, in 1989! 1982 Tobacoo Sunburst LP Standard!
Got it used at Hollywwood Guitar Center for 400 bucks. It had a hole under the bridge as some maniac had put (and removed) a Floyd Rose in it.
Went straight to a luthier and had the hole filled with mahogany and maple to restore it... and put Seymour Duncan 59 (N) and Allan Holdsworth (B) pickups on it.
MAN... that guitar was just unbelievable! Really fast neck with NO action fingerboard.... butter to play and hear.... magnificent Les Paul!
I believe those beauties originally came with Gibson Tim Shaw pick ups... a great PAF replica... the first ever tried actually. I have them on my 1984 ES335 DOT. Not sure my 1982 LP had them on board... who knows what that maniac did to it....
I miss it!
It did come with the original Shaws, still have them. I put a 59 in the neck and a Custom in the bridge. Killer sounding LP with a little natural growl.

Back