What is the most accurate Klon clone?

maddnotez

Banned
Yeah I know, there are a million of these threads and pedals but the ones I can find on TGP are focused on what sounds the best. I am looking to see which is the most accurate.

Any chance someone on here actually has a Klon and has compared others?

Edit: I have not researched this for years but from the videos I have seen the Ceriatone Centura sounded the closest but even that has a slight difference. Just hard finding good videos with a proper A/B.

The Ceriatone is a level of detail not seen from other builders. If the layout affects the tone in such a subtle sounding circuit then the Ceriatone is the only one to replicate the original PCB layout.

But honestly, looking down and seeing the right enclosure will click with your brain and make you like the pedal more than any slight circuit change.

Member here scottosan, had one up for sale on a local facebook group page. Have not heard it but, by the looks of it it looked like an EXACT copy, even the case, and silkscreen.

He might still have it.

I found this one as well. Seems pretty damn close to me. Hard to tell though because the loop has 2 different guitars one after another.

There are a lot to choose from. At this point most are super close sounding to the originals. Thing is, those 1n34a germanium diodes all sound different, so chances are each unit will sound different.

psychodave":39b87kvz said:
There are a lot to choose from. At this point most are super close sounding to the originals. Thing is, those 1n34a germanium diodes all sound different, so chances are each unit will sound different.
That is a pretty good point. In the video he got a specific diode to match that specific Klon. :confused: makes that $18 China Klon sound like a better idea :D

I have a Tumnus, and it sounds good- but adds a slight bass boost. The RYRA Klone has been the one that sounds the closest to me ears.

Simon Dorn":20ns0o47 said:
Did you check out the Maxon OD820 ?
I used to own one and it didn’t really sound like a Klon. I remember it being like a more subtle, open, higherheadroom transparent tubescreamer. I thought it was decent, but preferred other stuff I had at the time

I haven’t tried them all, but currently own an original Klon Centaur and have owned a KTR, Mythos Mjolnir, EHX Soul Food and tried the Tumnus and none of them quite matched up to the real thing IMO when AB’ed. The KTR and Mjolnir were very close but just not as organic or musical, which is what makes the Klon Centaur so special IMO. With the KTR it was like AB’ing a reissue Marshall to the old one (just not as organic in comparison), but the voicing was there. Maybe the other Klones mentioned like the Ceriatone Centura are closer, but I’d be skeptical since even the KTR wasn’t quite there. The KTR was also a little brighter and stiffer feeling than the original

I heard from Ludlow Music that there was one Klone briefly made that was so close to the real thing that it was able to sell in the $700’s and that Bill Finnegan (Klon) sued them. I think they said it was JHS who made it, but not 100% sure. I heard the story a while ago. Maybe just one happened to sell in the $700’s, but again I’m not really sure

To answer the OP’s question, I’d say the KTR was both the closest and best sounding one of the few I’ve tried, but because it still lacked that organic quality of the Klon that makes the leads so great I sold it. If I ever find a pedal that can match the Klon’s super musical/organic lead tone I’d sell it instantly (even if it wasn’t accurate to it in other ways). For me that’s the key thing that makes the klon special, but I’ve had over 60 od pedals (tried countless others) (have 10 currently) and none of the others had it. I’d actually say the Thorpy Gunshot was probably the closest pedal I’ve had to being as organic/musical to my Klon. Obviously, different style pedal (more of a tubescreamer/RAT hybrid), but about equal in being organic and tonally complex. I still like my Klon better though, so I sold it

For what it’s worth, I’ve tried 3 original klons (including mine), all silver, no horses, and they all sounded the same from what I remember, but never AB’ed any admittedly

I actually use some of my other pedals (like my Timmy V1 and Ethos) more often since they’re more versatile, but IMO the Klon is unmatched at what it does and a keeper unless I everfind something that matches or exceeds it

braintheory":1701qav1 said:
Simon Dorn":1701qav1 said:
I used to own one and it didn’t really sound like a Klon. I remember it being like a more subtle, open, higherheadroom transparent tubescreamer. I thought it was decent, but preferred other stuff I had at the time

I haven’t tried them all, but currently own an original Klon Centaur and have owned a KTR, Mythos Mjolnir, EHX Soul Food and tried the Tumnus and none of them quite matched up to the real thing IMO when AB’ed. The KTR and Mjolnir were very close but just not as organic or musical, which is what makes the Klon Centaur so special IMO. With the KTR it was like AB’ing a reissue Marshall to the old one (just not as organic in comparison), but the voicing was there. Maybe the other Klones mentioned like the Ceriatone Centura are closer, but I’d be skeptical since even the KTR wasn’t quite there. The KTR was also a little brighter and stiffer feeling than the original

I heard from Ludlow Music that there was one Klone briefly made that was so close to the real thing that it was able to sell in the $700’s and that Bill Finnegan (Klon) sued them. I think they said it was JHS who made it, but not 100% sure. I heard the story a while ago. Maybe just one happened to sell in the $700’s, but again I’m not really sure

To answer the OP’s question, I’d say the KTR was both the closest and best sounding one of the few I’ve tried, but because it still lacked that organic quality of the Klon that makes the leads so great I sold it. If I ever find a pedal that can match the Klon’s super musical/organic lead tone I’d sell it instantly (even if it wasn’t accurate to it in other ways). For me that’s the key thing that makes the klon special, but I’ve had over 60 od pedals (tried countless others) (have 10 currently) and none of the others had it. I’d actually say the Thorpy Gunshot was probably the closest pedal I’ve had to being as organic/musical to my Klon. Obviously, different style pedal (more of a tubescreamer/RAT hybrid), but about equal in being organic and tonally complex. I still like my Klon better though, so I sold it

For what it’s worth, I’ve tried 3 original klons (including mine), all silver, no horses, and they all sounded the same from what I remember, but never AB’ed any admittedly

I actually use some of my other pedals (like my Timmy V1 and Ethos) more often since they’re more versatile, but IMO the Klon is unmatched at what it does and a keeper unless I everfind something that matches or exceeds it

This is how I feel about the KOT. Most organic and musical pedal I have ever played but I sold it since it had way too many options and was not ideal for metal which is what I play. I will be getting another when my name comes up though.

I just want to try a Klon to see what the fuss is about but I will never try an original so I wanted to see what is the closest.

maddnotez":2g4xw141 said:
braintheory":2g4xw141 said:
Simon Dorn":2g4xw141 said:

This is how I feel about the KOT. Most organic and musical pedal I have ever played but I sold it since it had way too many options and was not ideal for metal which is what I play. I will be getting another when my name comes up though.

I just want to try a Klon to see what the fuss is about but I will never try an original so I wanted to see what is the closest.
You may find the Klon then not ideal for metal either, but since it seems the klones are the close, it should probably at least give you an idea if it’s your thing or not

For metal I mostly use my Timmy V1 and Ethos. They’re both tighter than the Klon and more open and the Timmy is way more transparent, neutral voiced. I also use my VFE Standout if I want something super tight or an upper mid djent, it’s like a better version of the Fortin 33, so very specific in its use. The Ethos can actually get as tight (but no upper mid djent), so now I don’t use the Stand Out much unless I want that upper mid thing

The Ethos was meant to be a Dumble style pedal, but IMO is incredible as a boost for metal and my top 3 favorites along with my Timmy and Klon. I didn’t like the later version Timmy as much. It sounded looser and just not as well voiced

Also, I just looked on reverb and it seems the KTR’s are going for a lot more now. I bought mine new for $270 and sold it for around $250 like 2 years ago. Should’ve kept it. I haven’t at all been keeping up with the KTR prices, but still at least much more justifiable than the Fortin 33. I sold my 33 once I got my VFE Standout, outdid the 33 at its own thing and can do more

Yeah I don't think I would like the Standout if it like the 33. I have wanted to try a Timmy though. Will check out the Ethos, never heard of it.

Ideally I would like just 1 boost to rule them all. Right now I am stuck between the koko and the D&M because each one works better depending on what room I am in lol.

The struggle.

motorboy1":3v3yz7on said:
Simon Dorn":3v3yz7on said:

PLUS 1 :thumbsup:
I'm a huge fan of this pedal. I've never played a real Centaur, but I a/b'd it with a KTR and whatever the Protone clone was. The OD820 was a little bigger & warmer sounding with a more organic/dynamic feel. The KTR & Protone were less dynamic and had a very different response in the treble. I found the Protone to be the most aggressive & strident. Like a more "metal" version of the KTR.

The KTR and Protone sounded more similar to each than they did to the OD820. The trick to getting the OD820 in the ballpark is to keep the gain off or close to it since it functions as a mix. That way it keeps the low mids fuller. Still though, I found the treble response to be quite a bit different between the OD820 and the KTR & Protone.

I've never tried the other pedals, but i like the 820 for it's touch sensitivity, less midhonk, more bass compared to the other tubescreamers.
That beeing said, i use a Maxon OD9 to boost a ST9Pro+ to really boost my amps ;)

ceriatone.

aluminum falcon early big box version.

tumnus deluxe for modded klon.

od820 was thinner sounding to me.

archer was pretty good for mild overdrive.

my favorite use is the always on buffer and clean boost.

for that the aluminum falcon and the ceriatone are neck and neck.

Back