What is your go to amp, guitar, pedal(s) and speakers.

I play in 4 bands, a pop punk cover band (green day, blink 182, jimmy eat world), an iron maiden cover band, a bon joi cover band and a band that does 80’s stuff. My setup needs to be fairly versatile so I use a Bogner 3534 through a port city 1x12. I’ve trid a few speaker but I always end up with an evm12l although I might give a vintage 30 another go.

As for pedals I try to keep it simple as the amp does most of my drives so I use a H9 for modulation, a Mercury 7 for reverb and a waza dm2 for delay. I do have a couple of drives in a j Rockett the dude and Wampler Euphoria just to give me a different flavour.

Guitar wise I’ve been burning through a lot of different PRS models trying to find one that is versatile but has character, unfortunately that search continues and I’m currently waiting for a McCarty Trem to turn up.

I play original classic/power metal and sometimes in a few punk cover bands.

generally a Gibson les paul standard, a strymon volante for echo/delay, LPD tidal for chorus, v30s or scumbacks, and the star of the show, a Larry Dino.

Like manxman, I have a handful of drives but my amp handles the majority of the drive sounds.

Amp:
JCM800 or Plexi will take me through the end of the 60s through to the late 80s. So you get 20 years' worth of music between those two amps.
EVH 5150III for post-90smetal.

Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
EQ

Speaker:
Greenbacks
V30

My distortion pedals of choice are:
Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4-2
Friedman BE-OD

Probably the single most important thing I do is to load Line6 Helix/Native up and get profiles for stuff I want to play and read the rig chain settings they use.

Double-tracking and Wet/Dry recording are my favorites. That means more than one take, pan left and right, and use the dry tracks to apply profiles and IRs to give it a second amp tone in there.

ESP Viper/Ibanez RGA121
Diezel Herbert/Orange Dual Dark
EQD Plumes, PlxFx Bion boost, BAT Pharoah, MXR Carbon Copy
Suhr Reactive load IR

Playing mostly doom/sludge metal tuned to drop B but I have a couple guitars in drop C for that faster KSE type stuff.

E73B6CB8-53B3-4629-9BCD-E5D40D539955.jpeg

BC73DFBD-FFB4-439E-9380-B9087A489055.jpeg

8BB88B54-4709-44ED-B0E2-09071B1F65EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Boss GEQ (1/2 rack, cant remember #)
Marshall 100W Superlead (clone) variac'd to ~90vac
Fryette PS2
TC 1140 para EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
Marshall 1960A cabs w/70s greens/creams/blacks

Phasers/Flangers/Vibes all get in there occasionally but above is the core tone, sometimes with an Alesis Q20 for delay.

I'm all over the place regarding style/genre.

Last gig was in 2017. At that time I gigged with any one of these amps:
2002 SLO
1987 2205
1982 2204
1987 2554
Any number of these Charvels: 2008 Plum SoCal, 2006 pointy blue burst, 2006 pointy black 1H, 1988 Jackson strat.
All had Duncan Customs, 08 SoCal had (still has) underwound Afwayu.
1979 Marshall slant w/65s
Intellifex
Boss OD1X
Decimator pedal
Boss tuner
SM57

Classic/Hard rock covers; 70s-2000s. Also did a couple shows with a Maiden tribute act.

I play any type of rock or metal. Usually a 2204 with an SD-1. Greenbacks seem best for low or moderate gain. V30s have more chug.

When that gets boring I like a Recto with an OD808 or a Mark III. Both of those need V30s. I mildly prefer the Recto with a Recto cab and the Mark with a Marshall cab.

I'm almost always using one of two essentially identical guitars with Dimarzio Super Distortions.

Boss GEQ (1/2 rack, cant remember #)
Marshall 100W Superlead (clone) variac'd to ~90vac
Fryette PS2
TC 1140 para EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
Marshall 1960A cabs w/70s greens/creams/blacks

Phasers/Flangers/Vibes all get in there occasionally but above is the core tone, sometimes with an Alesis Q20 for delay.

I'm all over the place regarding style/genre.
Do you boost the 1959 with that 1140 EQ?

I've tinkered with using a parametric EQ to boost Marshall's within the Axe FX and it is very very cool. Can turn a Marshall into a flame throwing monster.

Our band does classic rock, blues\southern rock, and some old country. My Shiva is my go-to do-it-all amp for this gig, running it through a 212 bogner copy cab with a v30 and g75h. Occasionally run it through a 112 with a creamback. Pedalboard is pretty simple - HX effects in the loop, a wah, phase 90, maxon 808, Duelist, and Xotic Super Sweet in front in that order. HX does delays, reverbs, trem, chorus, and a noise gate. occasionally i'll put a boost on in it or eq.

Do you boost the 1959 with that 1140 EQ?

I've tinkered with using a parametric EQ to boost Marshall's within the Axe FX and it is very very cool. Can turn a Marshall into a flame throwing monster.
I use the Boss EQ in front and the 1140 right after the PS2. I'm hardly doing anything with it tho, just add a tiny bit of low muscle and shave off a tiny bit of fizzy highs. Boss EQ is typical frown.

Ozzy style covers or originals.

Standard Boss SD-1 running on 12V

Les Pauls of various pickup types anywhere from A2 magnet BB2s to EMG 81/85s.

A bastardchild Marshall 2203. 1959 dagnall transformers with a jcm800 board. The chassis/iron is 74, everything else is not. It’s modded but still 3 gain stage/cf.

Modern Greenback 25W reissues
1960AX or BX cabinets. Best cabinets I’ve used to date. Not as boomy as my splawns and better sounding than my 5150 cabinets. The basketweave grill cloth matters.

I keep a damage control timeline on at all times mixed parallel really low around 30% and with a wide ping pong delay to act as a doubler effect. I do this because that’s what most Marshall tones we love are on records - double tracked.

It’s not perfect, I’d like a proper chorus, proper doubler effect, and I need to get a pedalboard and assemble something useful.

Man that’s so tough. I own 7 amps and I’m fortunate to have found sfuff that works for me, and know I’ll never sell the 7 I have. They are all indispensable for me personally. But it just depends on my mood.

My go to right now is my rev F recto with a 1960BV cab. A tried and true combo that worked well in the 90s and has kinda been forgotten about until recently, but a recto with a Marshall cab just sounds phenomenal to me right now.

My desert island recording amp is probably my Diezel herbert. It’s just phenomenal when tracking and in a mix.

If I’m lost on what I want to do and want something that I know will work, it’s hard to not try my 5150 and recto cab, what’s there to say about that.

The scariest most out of control amp I own is my 1979 JMP Modded by mike morin, it’s just deadly, the absolute most unique high gain tone I’ve ever heard, and kills when mixed with other amps too.

Plexi/jcm800 style amps. I play country, blues, rock, metal. SD-1 for all but country, boss compressor for that. i like greenbacks

I have a lot of gear and mainly play late 70’s-early 80’s metal and hard rock. Also dabble in alt country/southern rock……but my go to classic metal rig:

R9 Les Paul w/stock Custombuckers

Fulltone Deja Vibe Mini> Boss SD-1>Friedman Golden Pearl

Morris XSIII (Boss DD-200 in loop)> late 70’s Marshall 4x12 with G12-65’s.

Back