What strap locks are worth a damn?

Sometimes the best tool is the simplest one. These don't stick out at all and don't require any mods to your guitar. Or strap.

DBQiZ9X.png

Twist around to make the hole big. Put strap on guitar, put this thing over the strap and strap button. Twist around again to make the hole small. Done.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-7000-Lok-Strap-Set/dp/B0032TN7DS/

Dunlops can seem latched and not be. Almost paid for that a couple times. when i tried schaller, i wondered why anyone else even bothered to make them..perfection.
I also like the rubber gaskets. Thise are perfect if yo u dont change guitars. I have a strap for each guitar but still prefer schaller

One thing I loathe about strap lock systems (ones I've used anyway - have not used them all), is having to manipulate/cut/enlarge the hole diameter in the strap just to get the damn strap lock in there. Infuriates me.
Yep. Bought a leather hole punch set for that reason when I was still using them.

I remove the strap button. Place a large washer (with hole smaller than button). Put strap back on. Screw button back in place with a drop of super glue in in the hole to keep it locked in. Don’t think it’s going anywhere. But can’t easily switch straps ;).

I've got a handful of types--new and old Schaller, Dunlop, DiMarzio clip locks, and D'Addario. I like the new Schallers the best, followed by DiMarzio. The Dunlop design always sketches me out just a little, but the recessed ones are super clean. I'm not really a fan of the D'Addarios because the pieces fit together loosely and are noisy, but they work well enough that I haven't bothered to swap them out.

the older Schaller strap locks works best to be honest..
1650411495486.png

I've tried a bunch of the new ones and they just didnt work properly. Mainly the nut locking the strap on the pin. The d'addario ones worked best out of all the new ones I tried:
1650411578765.png

Just my experience.. may differ for someone else.

Good luck

Yep. Bought a leather hole punch set for that reason when I was still using them.

That’s what I do as well. I snagged a (IIRC) 3/8” hole punch off Amazon. 1 whack with a hammer, and problem solved.

I’ve used the Schallers for years, and love them. The newer ones have worked loose on occasion, so I put a little dab of blue Loctite on the nut threads now. Never had one loosen up since.

I use old Schallers on one guitar and Dunlops on another and have no complaints.

Glad someone posted Ed's solution, it's usually the best one.

Back