What's everyones backup rig?

bikerdude2

My Atma blew a fuse as I was ready to play last night. Ended up playing thru one of those 4x4 pedal/power amp things...Super clean...Was horrible but made it thru the gig. Those mini XTC's sound pretty good. Thinking of one of those knowing I can just mic my Bogner cube, but open to other suggestions other than another tube backup head. Something small to keep in the car.

My Boss Katana head has saved the day for me twice. Last few gigs I brought a Hughes & Kettner 18w mini head. But I had it at band practice yesterday and it could not hang when totally dimed and felt like I could fry an egg on it. So the Katana will remain the backup head.

I have a Krank Nineteen80 Jr. 20 watt amp head for these kind of situations. I learned the hard way when my Marshall 6101 combo amp speaker cable shorted out before a show. My bassist who lived in town, drove home, and grabbed his combo amp. I ended up using an all tube Crate Turbo Valve 2x12 combo amp which actually sounded really good. I've never seen or played one before until that night, but it saved our show and motivated me to buy a proper back up amp. The Crate Turbo Valve amp is all good with me! (y)(y)

Guitar George

Last edited:
20W 6505MH mini 5150. Cuts well and has a great working clean channel, all tube character and easy to carry around.
Also if I could do it again, I’d grab the fender EVH LBX II that has the green and blue channels in one head. It wasn’t out when I bought my 5150 mini.

An old modded Marshall 1959 slp. I had to use it a week ago. My Friedman had a blown fuse during soundcheck. I still don't know what caused it because all my tubes were OK after checking it the next day. Since then I had 2 rehearsals with the Friedman and nothing strange happened.

An old modded Marshall 1959 slp. I had to use it a week ago. My Friedman had a blown fuse during soundcheck. I still don't know what caused it because all my tubes were OK after checking it the next day. Since then I had 2 rehearsals with the Friedman and nothing strange happened.
had this happen with my 101b a couple of years ago, ended up being dirty power at the venue.

I always brought along a 6505+ as a backup. I think I only needed it once. Kind of out the window now they're the skyrocketing in price, but you used to be able to get a USA model under $700.

I keep a Quilter pedal and a Tech 21 Sansamp in my bag just in case. Fingers crossed I never have to use it ha

Ksr ceres with mesa d800 power amp sounds excellent

If the ceres dies I can use the boss ms3 as well into the d800...

I use the ceres with the ms3 into my 100 watt toaster fx return with a boogie 2x12. Great compact rig sounds massive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211004-082035_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-082035_Photos.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20211004-134328_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-134328_Photos.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20211004-134706_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-134706_Photos.jpg
    985.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20211004-134725_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211004-134725_Photos.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I picked up a Hughes and Ketner Spirit of Rock amp. Its 25 watts, and sounds damn good through a cab. Its about the size of a brick and I keep it in my cable bag. I haven't had to use it yet, and I'm hoping that I didn't just jinx myself by replying on this post..haha. 11 gigs coming up, so fingers crossed..

I have a Walrus Audio acs1 on my board, if I get caught in a pinch I’ll use that direct through the pa along with a JHS at+ to give me my drive sounds. I also use this setup for rehearsals as well. I used to have spare amps but I hate the thought of good gear not getting used so went down the modeller route as my backup.

I stack 2 Marshall Studio heads on top of one another onstage, one SC and one SV. Looks cool, they are small, they don’t weigh anything and they both take delays and ODs the same way. One goes down, use the other.

I always use a Powerstation with my Sound City head - if the head would happen to break down I'd use my lil AMT R/S Lead pedal straight in to the Powerstation

Back