Whats the best solo of the 80s??

best solo of the 80s??

• Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • other

Votes: 29 93.5%

• Total voters
I wouldn't say it's "THE" best but the solo in Tears For Fears "Shout" is perfection in the context of the song and super underrated in my opinion

if someone said shout was the best song of the 80's i dont think id have an argument against

Even though it was released in '78 and might not be the most technical and fancy solo, I think this might be the best solo of that period in terms of vibrato, soul, tone, attitude and rhythm.

Ha! I already posted it bro'.

You've got good taste man.

Reactions: Geo
Agreed 100%. Those might be my 2 favorite Pink Floyd songs actually. I think that 1st solo in Comfortably Numb took me by surprise a little more and therefore may have been more chilling and moving to me of the 2, but both so good. I’m much more jealous of guys like Gilmour that can come up with musical ideas like those solos than the best technicians
Huge Pink Floyd fan over hear. I can't believe I forgot the solo on the comfortably numb. Shame on me 😃
The Pulse version however is where it's at for me. Gets me every time..
This and the song Echoes from the Pompeii live version back in the 70s. It could easily be the last song I'll ever heard.
The whole Dark Side of the moon album also.

Huge Pink Floyd fan over hear. I can't believe I forgot the solo on the comfortably numb. Shame on me 😃
The Pulse version however is where it's at for me. Gets me every time..
This and the song Echoes from the Pompeii live version back in the 70s. It could easily be the last song I'll ever heard.
The whole Dark Side of the moon album also.
Question for you regarding the solo in Another Brick in the Wall.
I dig this type of crossover stuff below.
I dig Korn too.
I think Head from Korn did a great job on this solo.
What are your thoughts? Go to the 3:11 minute mark

Question for you regarding the solo in Another Brick in the Wall.
I dig this type of crossover stuff below.
I dig Korn too.
I think Head from Korn did a great job on this solo.
What are your thoughts? Go to the 3:11 minute mark

Hey,

I sure dig some old Korn stuff.
I'm not into the nu metal thing at all but I respect Korn for the fact that they have their own musical identity (which is one of the most important & difficult things to achieve as an artist) and they are pioneers in this style of music.

About covers in general:
It's always a challenge for an artist who wants to do a cover of a song, because you have to put your musical identity into it and somehow make it sound like it was one of your own songs. But at the same time you have to keep its original flavor as well. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's not.

Hundreds of great examples:
Sepultura - Orgasmatron (Motorhead)
Guns n Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan) or Live and Let Die (Paul & Linda McCartney)
Nirvana - The Man who sold the world (MTV unplugged version) (David Bowie)
Metallica - Turn the page (Bob Seger) or Whiskey in the jar (Thin Lizzy)

About Korn's cover in particular:
Korn did a great job capturing the overall feeling with all these mystical guitar nuances/melodies and putting their signature style into it, except for the rythm part when the basic solo kicks in. In my opinion they could have done a better job than that, for sure.
I didn't care much about Head's solo to be honest with you. It sounds like he just tried to copy the original for the most part and was nowhere near the feeling you get from Gilmour. I think it would be better if he could come up with his own solo which would complement the overall feeling of their version of the song.
On the other hand, the part near the end of the song was so chilling and heavy/deep at the same time that made me feel a lot more than the original version..
When someone makes you feel this way, without having to play or say too much, that's pure talent right there.
That's my take on it 😉

Last edited:
Hey,

I sure dig some old Korn stuff.
I'm not into the nu metal thing at all but I respect Korn for the fact that they have their own musical identity (which is one of the most important & difficult things to achieve as an artist) and they are pioneers in this style of music.

About covers in general:
It's always a challenge for an artist who wants to do a cover of a song, because you have to put your musical identity into it and somehow make it sound like it was one of your own songs. But at the same time you have to keep its original flavor as well. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's not.

Hundreds of great examples:
Sepultura - Orgasmatron (Motorhead)
Guns n Roses - Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan) or Live and Let Die (Paul & Linda McCartney)
Nirvana - The Man who sold the world (MTV unplugged version) (David Bowie)
Metallica - Turn the page (Bob Seger) or Whiskey in the jar (Thin Lizzy)

About Korn's cover in particular:
Korn did a great job capturing the overall feeling with all these mystical guitar nuances/melodies and putting their signature style into it, except for the rythm part when the basic solo kicks in. In my opinion they could have done a better job than that, for sure.
I didn't care much about Head's solo to be honest with you. It sounds like he just tried to copy the original for the most part and was nowhere near the feeling you get from Gilmour. I think it would be better if he could come up with his own solo which would complement the overall feeling of their version of the song.
On the other hand, the part near the end of the song was so chilling and heavy/deep at the same time that made me feel a lot more than the original version..
When someone makes you feel this way, without having to play or say too much, that's pure talent right there.
That's my take on it 😉
Excellent review on that. Thanks :cheers:
+1 Metallica's 'Whiskey in the Jar'
I guess where we differ is I thought Head did a great job on the Gilmore solo. He is under-rated as a guitarist for one and getting anywhere close to Gilmore has to be difficult. For that reason I give him a strong pass. Kind of interesting how Pink Floyd was so ahead of their time. The chorus in Another Brick is so punk'ish. Great backdrop for a band like Korn to cover.

Last edited:
Excellent review on that. Thanks :cheers:
+1 Metallica's 'Whiskey in the Jar'
I guess where we differ is I though Head did a great job on the Gilmore solo. He is under-rated as a guitarist for one and getting anywhere close to Gilmore has to be difficult. For that reason I give him a strong pass. Kind of interesting how Pink Floyd was so ahead of their time. The chorus in Another Brick is so punk'ish. Great backdrop for a band like Korn to cover.
Agreed on everything :cheers:

Lay it Down = Ratt
I Remember You = Skid Row
Without Warning = Dokken
I'll Wait = Van Halen
Cherry Pie = Warrant (CC Deville actually did the leads). Edit: Ooops. Released 9/90
Eyes Without a Face = Billy Idol
Home Sweet Home = Motley Crue
More Than a Feeling = Boston
Dirty Movies = Van Halen
Ladies' Night in Buffalo = DLR/Steve Vai
Comin' Under Fire = Def Leppard
Judgement Day = Whitesnake
I Won't Forget You = Poison
Hungry = White Lion
Comfortably Numb = Pink Floyd
The Garden = Guns & Roses
Limelight = Rush
Orion = Metallica
Purple Rain = Prince
King of the Mountain = Kiss
17 = Kingdom Come
Centre of Eternity = Ozzy Osbourne
Take It on the Run = REO Speedwagon
Anyway You Want It = Journey
The Zoo = Scorpions
Shake It Up = The Cars
Time To Surrender = Winger
Rough Boy = ZZ Top
Brothers in Arms = Dire Straits
Surfing with the Alien = Joe Satriani
Texas Flood = Stevie Ray Vaughn
Cemetery Gates = Pantera

and yeah Rainbow in the Dark = DIO is killer
Good mention on the Prince the purple rain solo is epic

I thought this was a troll thread ha. Not even close for me. CCs tone and vibrato was garbage. Solo is not bad otherwise.

Some totally random solos that were better:

Extreme- Watching, Waiting (probably one of the best matches considering the subject matter —Jesus’ crucifixion)

Toto- I’ll be over you
Alias-I need you now

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo
Back