What's the most you've spent on a piece of gear.

$1,400 on a Digitech 2101 Artist back in the 90's. That's WAY more in today's money.

Spent $1,200 in 2003 for a Zinky Mofo and 2x12.

Would be cool to have a VH4 and stuff but my current gear gets me exactly where I want to be, so it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Geo
My 51 Esquire was my most expensive guitar when I bought it. I've paid $3500 for it.
A few years later I bought my, by then, most expensive guitar, for $10K, and that was my 56 Strat.
My most expensive amp was my 65 JTM45, for $5k.
Then, I've got three amps modded by Dumble, these were modded for myself, that were quite expensive too. One of them, for a bit more than the JTM45, and both the two other mods for way less than the JTM45.
For all of these, most everyone told me I was either insane or stupid, for spending that much money on a piece of gear.
I still have all of these, and I guess I didn't do bad at all with buying and keeping them.
Best playing, best sounding and best investment I ever done in my life.
God you have good taste my friend. My Zinky was voiced around an early 50's esquire!

Yup, just didn't grab me at all. Shame since i really enjoyed the VH4 and Lil Fokker i had before it.

Whenever I see Herbert I think Billy Corgan tone from "Bleeding the Orchid" off Zeitgeist, but I'm not sure that's exactly what was used.

I find it perplexing that most people balk at spending a lot on a high quality hand wired tube amplifier but will fork out 3 times as much on a custom shop Gibson or some other high priced guitar. I'm the opposite. My self imposed limit on a guitar is $2500 USD but I'll spend whatever it takes on an amplifier. I can get "my tone" on almost any decent playing guitar but certainly not on many amplifiers. The amp trumps the guitar on overall tonal importance.
Agreed. I think it’s because having a fancy guitar is easier to show off and have wow factor than an amp. Sadly most guys today, even the luthiers themselves don’t seem to actually care much about the tone itself of the guitar. They will be meticulous about literally everything else like playability, fretwork, aesthetics, fit, finish, little build details, but tone? Who cares about that. Really sad. Just give it a fancy looking top, thick poly finish to castrate any potentially good tonewood used and guys seem to want it. All those terrible half hour youtube video reviews where maybe 20 seconds will be about the guitar’s tone

Hands down my Master built Mike Shannon all mahogany, short scale, single hum, string-though Jackson King V, $4k and runner up is my C+/++ KG for $3k

Last edited:
Around $2200 for a NOS Orange Dual Dark.

Everything else I own was less than that. Worth it to me, it’s what I want to sound like, it’s the tone in my head.

$4100 for my 76 Les Paul Custom + refret + replacement hardware + bone nut. Most I’ve ever spent on a guitar but it nails the tone I was looking for that my other Les Pauls couldn’t.

$5200 on a new Wizard MTL2. Im
Ok with that price because it definitely does something no other amp does for me . I have 3 diezels , 2 boogies , Bogner , EVH and man I love the wizard

I bought at $2500 Martin Acoustic about 10 years ago...was living in the Philippines at the time. Flipped it for about the same. Had a Marshall Vintage Modern that I had mod'd by Fortin....sold it on here. I have finally come to accept that I will never me more than a glorified bedroom rocker....I dont need such expensive gear really. I have scaled down to a couple LTDs, a Chibson (actually plays great) and my go to Edwards LP. Still have GAS...just dont act on it as much

Actually after I pay off my Larry PMM that will take the cake . It’s like $7500 after it’s all done . But you get years to save lol

My treat for paying off student loans was to get a wood/wicker fully loaded IIC+. Took me a couple years to find one and 14 hours in the car and $4500 later…. still use it often 👍🏻
Carpe Diem!

Back