which diezel amp do you find yourself playing more....

jayherbie

those here that have more than one diezel, ala vh4, herebert, hagen....

which do you find yourself playing more than the other...

just curious, i know a simple "i play them both the same amount", if possible, but just wondering if/what you find yourself plugging into more these days....

trying to decide on a new diezel, kinda narrowed it down to herbert & vh4,....but, dont really want to start a this vs that thread, just wondering what you guys been playin more.
:rock:

i'd like to extend the question to - which diezel amp do you find yourself playing more in the band mix with two guitars rather then at home in the bedroom with your bass maxed..

I had the big 3.... Herbert/Hagen/VH4

Just traded my Hagen to get Herbert again.

Herbert is my favorite amp of all time.

i'v owned about 5 herberts, actually i bought your herbert cujo a year or so back. they do kick ass, altho for whatever reason, the very first one i owned slayed the best....which, idk why, other than i played it with a gibson sg....which the other ones i played with different guitars, idk if it was just the pickups that made the difference.

im kinda curious about the vh4, how did yuo like yours?

jayherbie":3fhkycd5 said:
i'v owned about 5 herberts, actually i bought your herbert cujo a year or so back. they do kick ass, altho for whatever reason, the very first one i owned slayed the best....which, idk why, other than i played it with a gibson sg....which the other ones i played with different guitars, idk if it was just the pickups that made the difference.

im kinda curious about the vh4, how did yuo like yours?

I have had both VH4 (2005) and Herbert (2009) same time and I compared them soundwise for my needs. I preferred Herbert's clean and lead tones but the most important tone for me is crushing heavy rhythm tone that is Diezel's trademark. In that I prefer VH4's channel 3 over the Herbert's channel 2+. That is why I have VH4 (2011, blueface edition) now. But I have no experience with Hagen. IMO VH4 channel 3 is to die for :rock:

I have the pleasure of owning both VH4 and Herbert and if I would need to pick only one, it would be VH4 without any doubt. Much more character in the tone. Lovely stiff "roar" and plenty of articulation. Not to mention 4 channels with independent EQs.

jayherbie":3qb2kz93 said:
which cab do you prefer and why, front or rear loaded??

I have Diezel front loaded cab with V30 and K100 as X-pattern. Originally all V30's but replaced 2 x K100's and I'm absolutely happy with the result.

I have a 2007 VH4 and a 2005 Herbert
Before I started recording I used both equally, now I use the VH4 a bit more. I don't use clean channels on ether amp but I do have friends that come use the clean channels. Herbert's channel 1 is best compared to VH4 channel 1 IMO. Channel 2 on Herbert is better than Channel 2 on the VH4.
Channel 3 on the VH4 is unbeatable, nothing like it!
I use VH4 Channel 3 only all the time.
Herbert I use Channel 2 plus and Channel 3 back and forth.

Upstate NY isn't far off from me, I am thinking of selling one of the 2 off to pay some bills, hit me up if you are interested.

I played them all and I must admit there is something special about the Hagen. It responds great to my picking. There's one thing that needs to be taken into consideration though and it's the cab you play them thru. I tried 4x12 FL G12K100, 4x12 FL V30 and 4x12 RL V30 and the Hagen likes the G12K100 the best. I really translates fantastic through it. cujo mentioned somewhere he couldn't get it sound tight but with good tubes that are correctly biased the amp is tight WITH tone as opposed to other amps that are solely tight. All that said we should not rule out the D-Moll (through G12k100; it sounded fine with the RL V30's but not my cup of tea with the FL V30's). I'm kind of hesitant between the two amps the last couple of days. I mixed each of them with Fryette Pittbull Ultralead and I got 2 different flavours which I like although I favour the Hagen w/ the Pittbull combo better. The D-Moll / Pittbull combo reminded me of the Herbert / Pittbull in a way, probbaly in the low end and the mid cut twist you can get with it. Anyway, the Hagen is what I like the most these days.

Yea I did say that. I put new JJ 77 in it and yes it def was tight. But I'm telling you it's not as tight as Herbert n that's what I was after. I traded w Tim got Herbert home n bang there it was. Wicked tight !

That said. There is not a Diezel amp that sux or lacks. Peter just makes diff strokes for diff folks !!!!

I had a Herbert and a VH4 at the same time. Herbert sounded best alone, VH4 sounded best in a band mix. I sold the Herbert and kept the VH4.

I myself find that bullshit. Lots of guys use Herbert In band mix. Never have a problem cutting or being heard. Over use of mid cut u get swallowed.

Sometimes I feel like wanting a hagen.... sometimes I'd rather have the tightness of the VH4... but nothing can beat herbert and it's mid-cut !!!

At the end of the day it's simple. One needs all 3 TopDiezels:
VH4
Herbert
Hagen

Sad to the bank account, but true.

Uncle Mo

Ventura":18uh2dik said:
At the end of the day it's simple. One needs all 3 TopDiezels:
VH4
Herbert
Hagen

Sad to the bank account, but true.

Uncle Mo

I like the way you think Mo!!!!

Hahaha, I totally agree. Had the Herbert and VH4S, before the Hagen came. Sold the VH4S, wasn't getting exactly what I wanted from it. Now, have Herbert and Hagen and am wondering if the VH4S sounds differently from a 100watt VH4, opinions?

Either way, I just like the way you think :rock:

For the OP, I play Herbert more. Has been my #1 live in the band, rehearsal, etc. Then, I play through my Axe FX II at home (super easy for direct recording). Been using Diezel FL 4X12's, one cab with K100's on top and the other with V30's on the bottom. Love the tones I get :D

GtarLover":8qici34y said:
Hahaha, I totally agree. Had the Herbert and VH4S, before the Hagen came. Sold the VH4S, wasn't getting exactly what I wanted from it. Now, have Herbert and Hagen and am wondering if the VH4S sounds differently from a 100watt VH4, opinions?

Either way, I just like the way you think :rock:
I can say with 100% certainty that the VH4 and the VH4S respond differently. I've had several iterations of both, and personally, I like the mono head better. But that's not to say the 'S' is any bad amp - the panning/stereo effects were pretty awesome when playing - felt incredible, and there's no denying the "wall of sound" that's achieved with the independent power sections. But the mono for me was more immediate. More intense.

And seeing as all of them have just that little extra difference from one another, the only true way to be happy is to own 'em all. I'm not preachin' nuthin' but fact :D

Uncle Mo

Just playing at home but trying to record...so plying within a mix thru monitors.

I own a Herbert mk I and a Hagen. For now, I use the Hagen for the rhythm (ch 3 and 4) but I stick to Herbert Ch 3 for the lead.

Back