Who uses a 7 or 10 band EQ in the loop with their splawns?

Just curious to here from anyone that does this or have tried. I tried it last night with an MXR 10 band and I like the results. Depending on the venue and speakers (I have several 2x12 and 4x12 cabs) the low and high mids are sometime “honky” and too prominent in the mix to my ears. I dipped some 4K and 250 last night at a gig and the mids set really well in my opinion. This might be an always on thing from here on out.

I used to use one with my Super Sport to do almost exactly what you're doing , but once I switched speakers to Scumback M75's
and retubed to NOS Mullards and RFT's I don't feel the need for it anymore.
I've had that MXR 10 band in the loop of every amp I've run since 2001 :) great tool

Another vote for the MXR 10 band in the loop (Street Rod combo with matching cab, Creamback in the combo, Greenback in the cab). I don't have it doing much, boosting 4K a bit and cutting 1K a bit. If I have new strings on my guitar I really don't need it.

Edit: It's kind of funny, you're playing through a great amp and you think "I don't need anything else" but you can always make improvements. :cool:

Pedalboard_10_2021.jpg

Another vote for the MXR 10 band in the loop (Street Rod combo with matching cab, Creamback in the combo, Greenback in the cab). I don't have it doing much, boosting 4K a bit and cutting 1K a bit. If I have new strings on my guitar I really don't need it.

Edit: It's kind of funny, you're playing through a great amp and you think "I don't need anything else" but you can always make improvements. :cool:

View attachment 92628
Absolutely. Good tool for adjusting to different rooms

Don’t forget to try it out of loop . Especially for recording, sometimes it’s magical on certain amps

So at my last gig I noticed that my usual settings didn't cut through indoors ad they do outdoors , and my Splawn 2X12 was sounding a bit dark, so I found a Used J75 and swapped out one of the M75's and added my MXR 10 band back into the loop.
I just saw my older post above in this thread, funny how things can change.
I couldn't believe how these slight changes opened up my sound. I have the 2M75/J75 mix in my 4X12 and it sounds amazing so I figured I'd go back to it in my 2X12 (I had that in there before I got the 4X12) Cutting those lower mid frequencies and just slightly boosting those 2 middle sliders really brings the amp "to the front" if you get what I mean, much more "present". I can't wait for my next gig (in the same room ) to
hear the difference. My settings on my amp are here as a reference. I'm in "old" as I find it adds a nastiness I like :)

XRoXx1x.jpg

SqhnQoM.jpg

So at my last gig I noticed that my usual settings didn't cut through indoors ad they do outdoors , and my Splawn 2X12 was sounding a bit dark, so I found a Used J75 and swapped out one of the M75's and added my MXR 10 band back into the loop.
I couldn't believe how these slight changes opened up my sound. I have the 2M75/J75 mix in my 4X12 and it sounds amazing so I figured I'd go back to it in my 2X12 (I had that in there before I got the 4X12) Cutting those lower mid frequencies and just slightly boosting those 2 middle sliders really brings the amp "to the front" if you get what I mean, much more "present". I can't wait for my next gig (in the same room ) to
hear the difference. My settings on my amp are here as a reference. I'm in "old" as I find it adds a nastiness I like :)

XRoXx1x.jpg

SqhnQoM.jpg
Interesting. I still haven’t tried any Scumbacks yet but I definitely need to. Currently my favorite is WGS Green Beret and Man O War in an X pattern. Small Blocks for 2x12. Other cabs have WGS ET65 and creambacks in an X pattern

XRoXx1x.jpg

SqhnQoM.jpg
Your settings are pretty close to mine but I have more gain. Are you using a boost pedal too? I am really digging the Bad Monkey. Also, have you tried the 'Treble on 0' thing. I feel it opens the amp up more without removing treble. '08 Quick Rod user.

Your settings are pretty close to mine but I have more gain. Are you using a boost pedal too? I am really digging the Bad Monkey. Also, have you tried the 'Treble on 0' thing. I feel it opens the amp up more without removing treble. '08 Quick Rod user.
I think the "treble on 0" mojo is only in the older QR's. I know when I zero the treble on my Street Rod it just takes away treble, no mojo. I've heard the newer QR's are the same in that respect, not sure what the cutoff date was for that "feature".

I know its a personal preference for everyone.. but anytime I put an EQ in the loop, I ended up tweaking more and more and more.. spent more time tweaking than playing.. and I always go back to just the amp's tone by it self.

for leads, yes Love pedal in the FX8
I'm playing Rock not metal with these settings on Gear 1 all the time, I've never even gone to gear Two at a gig yet.
Now when I break out the 7 string guitars gain goes to about 2:00 gear 2 and the boost, sounds killer
the Treble on Zero does not do what it does to the older ones, just sounds like no treble.
**** edit**** funny how things change now at gig volume I stay in "New" as old can get 'boomy" at loud volumes, that was part of the reason I was having trouble cutting through as it makes the sound a little "muddy" at higher volumes. I only use it for home low volume noodling now. and use "new" when gigging

Last edited:
+1 for 0 treble on newer QR’s. I use a 2016 fully loaded and tend to run treble between 11 and 1 given the room and speakers. And as far as boosts goes, Buxom Boost is great. Won’t color your tone unless you want it to by bypassing the EQ. I have tried the BEOD but it’s too hot for it. In the future I want to try the Small Box pedal. I don’t like the thought of using Friedman pedals through Splawns because they seem like rivals of each other but their pedals are so amp like so they make great boosts

+1 for 0 treble on newer QR’s. I use a 2016 fully loaded and tend to run treble between 11 and 1 given the room and speakers. And as far as boosts goes, Buxom Boost is great. Won’t color your tone unless you want it to by bypassing the EQ. I have tried the BEOD but it’s too hot for it. In the future I want to try the Small Box pedal. I don’t like the thought of using Friedman pedals through Splawns because they seem like rivals of each other but their pedals are so amp like so they make great boosts
Ya, the BEOD is really "Hot", I tried it with mine as well as the Bogner Red and Blue pedals. didn't really like either of them, the OD models in the Fractal are great, I just wish they would update the Firmware with some of the newer pedals the y have in the Axe FXIII, but that ain't gonna happen :(

I meant to say no “0 on treble” for the newer QR’s lol my bad. +1 for the older models. I’ve tried it with a 2012 Street Rod. Works good!

Been using 10 band EQ in the loop since I started playing guitars and that was with a 5150. I had the tubes biased properly and with the10 band EQ, i undersatood really quickly how frequency were working and to not based my opinion on internet review since the 5150 biased with eq was a totally diferrent animal than the sterile stock 5150.

I want to use a loop in my 2008 Nitro now but the loop PCB is defective, big cracking noise at 0 volume, and its not tube bueffered so its not the tube, and amp is working perfectly without teh loop engaged, wayy too bassy but still as intenteded ( I guess!)

I've been considering adding the Mesa EQ pedal in my loop lately. Just to get a different sound.

Back