Whoa!!!! The price of Mesa amps has gone nuts!!

mooncobra

I was just on reverb looking at Mesa Mark Iv for my buddy and the prices have more than doubled over the past year. My friend collects Mesa Mark iv, as well as 2 and 3’s, and used to buy off Craigslist but it’s been scarce. He is not a computer savvy guy, so I help him with online gear acquisitions.

Anyhow, I told him there were a handful of Mark iv’s and told him the prices and he was convinced I was messing with him. Last one he bought was about 9 months ago for $1100 off of Craigslist. Now some are as high as 3k!!!! Most are at least $2500. He came by and I pulled up reverb and showed him and he was blown away and said it looks like he can’t collect Mesa Mark series any longer.

Yep it’s nuts. Once the supply increases for them the prices will come down. I have seen the occasional IV and III at GC and Music Go Round for under 1500, even 1200 within the last few months. Have to stalk those sites though as they get snapped up fast. Once guys start trading older stuff in more often, the prices will go down.

Yeah I was needing some money and considered selling my Mark IV. Then a friend asked me if I had priced them lately to which I said no. Once looking it changed my mind really quick as I wouldnt be able to replace mine.

I love this amp and would definitely want to buy it back. I was also wanting a Mark III but I have given up on that pursuit.

Yeah, there’s a mk Iv in the classifieds…that’s a $1600 amp. There’s not a really good reason for the gouging that’s happening. And, I get ppl wanting to get top dollar and jumping on the train, but the doubling of long-time standardized prices is kind of silly. I think folks may have a hard time moving things with unrealistic price expectations.

Yeah, there’s a mk Iv in the classifieds…that’s a $1600 amp. There’s not a really good reason for the gouging that’s happening. And, I get ppl wanting to get top dollar and jumping on the train, but the doubling of long-time standardized prices is kind of silly. I think folks may have a hard time moving things with unrealistic price expectations.
I saw that, it’s sort of scummy to try to capitalize on fellow guitar players, especially the forum boys. I hope nobody buys

There's a $2300 unmodded Mark III Red stripe 100W combo on the CL classifieds in Chicago. 5 years ago, those were sub $1K... in the $900 range.

I see Trem O Verbs going for $2K. I got one in 2014 for $700 on eBay. I regret selling it. It really is insane. The only amp I still lust for is a Trem-O-Verb, and man... I can wait on that. Not worth it to me at these prices.

That's capitalism... supply and demand. There aren't many of these amps being listed, and those that are are selling at these prices.

I am very curious what will happen to the overall market for these amps, though. There's a finite--and ever decreasing--supply of these amps out there, and some of these amps are crossing the threshold from being amps to play, to being amps to add to the collection.

About ten years ago, we started seeing the price of 2204 and 2203 amps start increasing, and that hasn't really slowed down. I wonder if we're going to see that continue with these late '80's through '90's Mesa DR and Mark amps

I totally agree that prices are over inflated as of late, but I think the current prices are closer to the true value of these older Mesas than the prices were before the hike. These older two channel Rectos and Marks, up to and including the IV, wipe the floor with 90% of the newer production amps available IMO. There’s no good reason for vintage Marshalls to command top dollar and not the old Mesas.

I have never played a Rec. I would like to grab one but no way am I even tempted now. Maybe when and if they come back down. I want a JP2C but Ive heard from quite a few that I should just stick with the IV.

I totally agree that prices are over inflated as of late, but I think the current prices are closer to the true value of these older Mesas than the prices were before the hike. These older two channel Rectos and Marks, up to and including the IV, wipe the floor with 90% of the newer production amps available IMO. There’s no good reason for vintage Marshalls to command top dollar and not the old Mesas.

I agree here. I've had a MKIII blue and MKIII green stripe and they were incredible amps. Even at inflated prices, they still blow the doors off many modern amps. I only paid $700 or so for the blue and the green was $1800ish but had just been serviced by Mike.

How could it be gouging? If it sells it sells. It’s an amplifier, not plywood with a hurricane coming.

I want a JP2C but Ive heard from quite a few that I should just stick with the IV.

I had a JP2C for a bit. The red III beat it out pretty easily.
I even preferred a Mark V:25 to it.

Attachments

• heads.jpg
    heads.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 30
I have never played a Rec. I would like to grab one but no way am I even tempted now. Maybe when and if they come back down. I want a JP2C but Ive heard from quite a few that I should just stick with the IV.
If you come across a Multi Watt Dual for a good price, grab it. My buddy has one and it absolutely kills.
Sticking with the IV is a good call. Those amps are incredible and totally hang with the earlier Marks, they’re just tighter and a little more compressed.

I just made a pretty penny on a very nice, very early blackdot HRGX selling to someone overseas.

I did replace it with that 1974 Monomyth SLP tho (and a Ceriatone 2204 JEl Spec clone) 🤘

god I used to buy and sell II's in the $700 range without even trying a few years back
Sadly I didn't keep any or any of my Mark IV's :(
I wish Mesa would just re release the Mark IV B. It still smokes everything that they've released since.

There's a $2300 unmodded Mark III Red stripe 100W combo on the CL classifieds in Chicago. 5 years ago, those were sub $1K... in the $900 range.

I see Trem O Verbs going for $2K. I got one in 2014 for $700 on eBay. I regret selling it. It really is insane. The only amp I still lust for is a Trem-O-Verb, and man... I can wait on that. Not worth it to me at these prices.

That's capitalism... supply and demand. There aren't many of these amps being listed, and those that are are selling at these prices.

I am very curious what will happen to the overall market for these amps, though. There's a finite--and ever decreasing--supply of these amps out there, and some of these amps are crossing the threshold from being amps to play, to being amps to add to the collection.

About ten years ago, we started seeing the price of 2204 and 2203 amps start increasing, and that hasn't really slowed down. I wonder if we're going to see that continue with these late '80's through '90's Mesa DR and Mark amps

I had a Trem O Verb and it was the best Mesa I have ever heard, or played. It was a Great and versatile amp. It was orange leather with green power lights.

and what wasnt around even 5 years ago like it is now to cause this?? influential youtubers that have hundreds of thousands of followers doing vids on all these amps. Ola and Fluff made my randall century i paid $350 for in the 00's now worth $5k, i doubt i could have gotten $1k for that five years ago but them geeking out on them got every pantera fan foaming at the mouth for one.

and what wasnt around even 5 years ago like it is now to cause this?? influential youtubers that have hundreds of thousands of followers doing vids on all these amps. Ola and Fluff made my randall century i paid $350 for in the 00's now worth $5k, i doubt i could have gotten $1k for that five years ago but them geeking out on them got every pantera fan foaming at the mouth for one.
Yeah, even the RG100ES is selling for a lot these days. I kept mine around since I got it cheap and it sounds killer. I’d sell it, but it would be tough to find another one for cheap. I still use it often.

Yeah, even the RG100ES is selling for a lot these days. I kept mine around since I got it cheap and it sounds killer. I’d sell it, but it would be tough to find another one for cheap. I still use it often.

i have one of them as well, might have to bust that thing out actually, i havent played it in forever and got a few new cabs and speakers since ive played it last. with a boost they can hang with anything

Back