Why Democracy Leads to Tyranny

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/declaration-transcript

In Congress, July 4, 1776

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

Click link for full transcript.

Fortunately, the United States is a democratic republic with a system of checks and balances. It is imperfect with a slowly swinging pendulum but I'm not smart enough to come up with a better system. Other than me as all powerful dictator, of course.

Reactions: PDC
Fortunately, the United States is a democratic republic with a system of checks and balances. It is imperfect with a slowly swinging pendulum but I'm not smart enough to come up with a better system. Other than me as all powerful dictator, of course.
I know you'll scoff but I think our system is better. I think your President is like an elected autocrat with too much power. I prefer our system where if the PM gets out of line he can be kicked out and replaced by his own party mid term. That's because we don't elect a President - we elect a party. Also if the ruling party gets too out of line the Governor General can dissolve parliament and call a general election. Checks and balances... very important. Stops people with swelled heads becoming autocrats.

I know you'll scoff but I think our system is better. I think your President is like an elected autocrat with too much power. I prefer our system where if the PM gets out of line he can be kicked out and replaced by his own party mid term. That's because we don't elect a President - we elect a party. Also if the ruling party gets too out of line the Governor General can dissolve parliament and call a general election. Checks and balances... very important. Stops people with swelled heads becoming autocrats.
Nope. I won't scoff because I don't know that much about it. I haven't studied UK government since I took a comparative politics course around 1990. I got my political science degree in 1992. I do like our system of judicial review, which again, isn't perfect but keeps the legislature in check. Actually where you're from, maybe it is Canada or Australia.

Nope. I won't scoff because I don't know that much about it. I haven't studied UK government since I took a comparative politics course around 1990. I got my political science degree in 1992. I do like our system of judicial review, which again, isn't perfect but keeps the legislature in check. Actually where you're from, maybe it is Canada or Australia.
Australia - but they are all pretty much the same in terms of what we are talking about. As you know in the UK they also turf out their PM like they change their undies when they aren't happy with him/her as well. In the UK it's not the Governor General that can dissolve parliament it'd be the King since our Governor General is basically a surrogate for the King. Canada's form of Government I know is almost identical, but I don't follow their politics as much. I don't think they change their PM as often - maybe they've had better luck, but I believe Canada is quite leftwing and not a big fan of that... However, I'm not sure they are leftwing because of their form of Government. Sadly, it's too leftwing for my taste in the UK and here too. I'm rightwing but not to the extent of fascism of course. I hate autocracies.

Last edited:
@Thumbpicker it’s interesting that you say you’re opposed to autocracies and offer Canada and Australia as an example of moderate states. Yet both these governments clearly abused their powers during the scamdemic. They become “Public health” autocracies if you will… What gives?

@Thumbpicker it’s interesting that you say you’re opposed to autocracies and offer Canada and Australia as an example of moderate states. Yet both these governments clearly abused their powers during the scamdemic. They become “Public health” autocracies if you will… What gives?
You see I completely disagree. The measures during the pandemic were sensible. We didn't run around infecting each other because "freedumb" like you. Public health measures during an epidemic to stop infection until people were vaccinated was sensible and you can see the result in our death rates vs the US which was an order of magnitude higher per capita.

If the black death came to the US these days you'd all run around and kill each other rather than endure a loss of freedom to protect people in uninfected areas. Fucking morons.

Quarantine has always been a thing in the past... even for diseases like TB. Until the disease can be managed it's sensible

You'd compare public health measures to Hitler and Mussolini... You are a complete wanker.
I’m abstracting from the specifics and focusing only on the application of political power you smooth brained koalatard. But for that matter Hitler claimed Jews were disease carriers.

I’m abstracting from the specifics and focusing only on the application of political power you smooth brained koalatard. But for that matter Hitler claimed the Jews were disease carriers.
Go suck up to your favourite mass murderer Putin. UnAmerican swill.

I’m not gonna play your psychologist @Thumbpicker , but it seems you might be suffering a wee bit of cognitive dissonance, which rears it’s angry little koala bear head in these occasional outbursts. Why not instead pursue truth and objectivity instead of dogma and tribalism?

Why make a comment about my supposed love for Putin then?
Why... because you on the one hand had a sling at me re: Hitler and Mussolini (which Australia is absolutely nothing like at all I might add so the comparison between those people and the Australian Govt is absurd even if I don't like everything about the Aust. Govt.) all the while you are simultaneously supporting a current despot in Putin. So too ironic for words.

You see I completely disagree. The measures during the pandemic were sensible. We didn't run around infecting each other because "freedumb" like you. Public health measures during an epidemic to stop infection until people were vaccinated was sensible and you can see the result in our death rates vs the US which was an order of magnitude higher per capita.

If the black death came to the US these days you'd all run around and kill each other rather than endure a loss of freedom to protect people in uninfected areas. Fucking morons.

Quarantine has always been a thing in the past... even for diseases like TB. Until the disease can be managed it's sensible
The U.S. had some states with very strict measures and some with little to none. The U.S. is a pretty huge country and in a way, is like 50 separate countries in one.

Comparing the U.S. and Australia in terms of Covid measures and outcomes is an apples/oranges comparison. The U.S. is about seven times the size of Australia with a population over 12 times larger than Australia. The U.S. has over 8 times the number of people per square kilometer than Australia. I would think those factors would have a large part in the disparity between the two countries in terms of Covid deaths per capital, maybe more so than any government measures. The U.S. Covid deaths count was distorted by attributing any death of a person with Covid as a Covid death. If someone died of a heart attack but also had Covid, it was accounted as a Covid death. Or if someone died in a car crash but had Covid, it was a Covid death.

When it comes down to it, shit has to get done regardless of the dangers in the world. When humans were hunter/gatherers, if all people stayed inside the safety of their dwellings to avoid getting eaten by predators, killed by other factions, or whatever other dangers there were, they would have starved to death.

The deaths caused by Covid measures in the U.S. will never be accurately accounted and there were deaths. Mental illness proliferated and there were no adequate resources for treatment. Drug addiction and alcoholism increased. Physical fitness declined as recreational facilities were closed, even outdoor facilities and people were encouraged to stay in their homes. Walking and hiking trails were closed. People were arrested for kayaking alone. Preventative medical screenings were out on hold as doctors offices were shutdown .

I won't even get into the economic impacts or the setbacks in development and education of children.

It was all fucking ridiculous and shameful.

Back