Why is setting up a Floyd Rose so hard for some people ?

Samhain

Banned
2137-1-main-parts-1600px.jpg

Just did a setup for a friend.
It was so far outta whack it took me about 3 hours to get the guitar up to speed.
Why is it so difficult for some ?

Never had an issue setting mine up when I had one. Watched a couple youtube vids, and it was like a 15-20 minute setup with string change from then on.

Some people aren't very handy and lots have no idea what they're doing and/or what a good setup entails. :)

I can set these up blindfolded. As a matter of fact, I miss having a FR equipped guitar. Love them! I actually prefer the one without the fine tuners.

The answer is, they never learned how. Which isn't an excuse now with the whole interwebs and 18 million videos on the subject.
I would also acknowledge that some people just are not handy or mechanically inclined .The simple act of a screw driver adjust is like watching a monkey fuck a football.

What makes people feel the need to go out of their way to anonymously tell random people on the internet what they are really good at doing?

When I was 15 I lived and learned how. Biggest mistake I made was taking off all strings not blocking. Now days. One sting at a time. Very minimal adjusting

Just did a setup for a friend.
It was so far outta whack it took me about 3 hours to get the guitar up to speed.
Why is it so difficult for some ?

3. h o u r s. l o n g t i m e. To me it is hard to find 3 hours to fix something that is frustrating like that, good on you.

I’ll tell you why, most people are not technically inclined. The fear of fucking something up beyond repair is the culprit.

It’s easy to say “I KNOW” I’m smarter than this piece of metal…” but the “what if” is still there.

I’ve literally never swapped a pickup, soldered anything, etc but am forcing myself to learn.

Same with pickups. I swapped out my first at 15. No idea what I was doing. Haha
Just had the guitar plugged into the amp. Kept moving the wires until it was clear and loud no buzz. That. Took me a while 🤣

I learned to do this stuff as a teenager growing up in the 80s and have been thankful with that I have learned over many years with regards to guitar setup and repairs. It's been a great side job to make some extra $$$. I have quite a few friends with very large collections and they are always calling or dropping off guitars for things to get done or changed.

Back