Why Is This Amp Not More Popular Here?

angelspade

Watching some youtube videos today. Ended up doing a bit of a deep dive on the Peavey Invective. I have yet to try one, but why is this amp not more popular here? It generally strikes me a 5150esque head with all the features that the 5150 is missing. Great cleans, more flexibility, on-board boosts, noise gate...Seems like this amp should be wildly popular. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I'm one of those shallow guys who struggles to like an amp if it looks ridiculous, despite how it sounds 😂. I dig the OG 5150's so never bothered to look into these

he used to post here...still a member. You never hear much about them. Lots of hype when they first came out and then crickets. Would love to play one.

Because they literally are a 5150 with modern features. Nothing original to write home about.

Funny because my friend went to their show a little while back and Misha didn't even use one live. Also, he hardly ever records with it other than to use with overdubs. His main tone for the past 5 years has been a 2ch recto and a Dover DA50.

A 5150 with modern features doesn’t sound bad.

I remember there being something odd with a second level control on the back or something, which you need to make the amp sound best, but won’t activate unless you have the foot switch connected? Anybody have the story there?

I was incredibly underwhelmed when I played one. Didn’t really get a 5150 vibe from it either. I’d much prefer a 5150 over what I heard.

A 5150 with modern features doesn’t sound bad.

I remember there being something odd with a second level control on the back or something, which you need to make the amp sound best, but won’t activate unless you have the foot switch connected? Anybody have the story there?
From the videos I watched, it said that the amp really comes to life with the level boost level on the back of the amp engaged via the footswitch. Makes the overall feel brighter and more present.

From the videos I watched, it said that the amp really comes to life with the level boost level on the back of the amp engaged via the footswitch. Makes the overall feel brighter and more present.

What kind of level control is that on the back? Instrument boost at the input? Preamp level to the phase inverter?

I remember not liking it as much as the regular 5150/6505’s, which as is I thought were good, but not amazing sounding and not as popular here anyway, so it makes sense to me that the invective never got much attention here

I wanted one. Best bro bought both the little one, then the big one. Spent Thanksgiving at his house in Oklahoma and never plugged into either of them. Still kinda want the 100 watter, but not enough to actually buy even a used one. Weren't they supposed to be built in America, then got built in China instead?

I think by the time they actually started popping up in stores people already forgo about them. I seem to recall that launch taking forever and being quite sparse in the early days. I haven’t even seen one in person.

Just seemed to me like yet another 5150 variant. I’m not sure where the EVH heads were while the Invective was being designed, but with the 50-watt EVH’s having MIDI, that was my biggest “OH!” feature in the Invective, so fuck it.

Back