Why is your rig the best?

Markedman

9/13/2021 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

*First of all, I play metal so if you play country or jazz, you will have a totally different set of guidelines and can go start your own thread about haunting mids, tan pants and woody warmth.*

This rig is the best there is and here's why in order of importance-

1) The low end - sledgehammer chest pounding tightness and it chugs like no other! I can spend hours playing morse code on my E string.
2) Gain - so much gain that turning it up to ten is stupid amounts o' gain and then some. Boost pedal, funny funny, hah hah, nope.
3) Compression - near zero, pick attack is most important, clarity and note definition is as important as hygiene is.
4) Artifacts like hum and hiss - no mother-fucking gate. It is the absolute stupidest pedal there is. It negates all the above. There is no such thing as zero latency, it can't be done, impossible. My rig is pretty much dead silent when idling at band volume and gain is very very high.
5) No tone sucking pedals - I can plug straight in to the amp and it sounds the same as through the pedals.
6) Two amps in one - Yeah. A Mark llC+ and a Mark III.
7) Light weight and easy to set up - I have a custom snake and it takes no longer to set up than a regular head/cabinet rig to get ready. The power amp is stereo and I can run 4, 8 ohm cabinets if I want, and I want.

A Dumble amp, what the fuck does a Dumble do for you? Nothing I'd want and it can't do this ^. I'd like to try a Larry some day because I've never tried one, but that's about all. I've owned or have tried just about every amp on the market so I do know tone and have been lucky enough, and rich enough to own several amps at once to do direct, in room, comparisons.

I'm positive you think your rig is better, so let's hear why.

This

BA6CFF96-E73B-4B03-8569-43ABD3F53670.jpeg

Into this:

5D47E28E-A875-4CDB-92D8-47E23DB0B79C.jpeg

Into that:

601C4579-F937-4D41-87D3-23675F5B02AF.jpeg

Is pretty much all the tones I could ever want.

This amp sounds fuckin bad ASS with all knobs at noon, but once you start tweaking it holy fuck. This thing is quiet like no amp I’ve ever had before, and the clean channel is the best I’ve played on a high gainer. Got a Telemaster here with some BKP Piledrivers in it and the neck pickup on that guitar sounds like a motherfuckin piano it’s that good.

Ch2+ is fantastic, just fuckin THUMPS you in the chest….it’s at the jam room and that channel on 2 starts the cymbals going, it’s crazy how much air it moves. Boosted? That shit is thrash heaven. Ch3 is liquid gain for days, it’s just magical, nothing I’ve tried can touch it.

Pedals are for flavor, just pushes it one way or the other….gotten heavy into sludge/doom the last few years due to an accident where I couldn’t play as fast or as long….I’m the only person I know playing 95% doom on a Diezel Herbert, so no one around here sounds like me, it’s great…these guys show up with their Oranges and Peaveys and Sunns and are fuckin stunned by what comes out of this amp.

Not too picky on cabs to my ears, built like a fuckin tank and can take some abuse.

I can appreciate your rig but for what I do? Mine is the fuckin BEST son!

Hahaha, people are just proud of what they have, nothing wrong with that. Although, what is far more impressive than having nice gear is what you can do with it! Anyone can have killer gear if they have money, but not everyone has killer chops.

I know, i didn’t mean it as negatively as it may have come across vs more tongue in cheek

The options are absolutely endless. So many rigs sound SO good at low to moderate volume with tons of squish for near effortless leads. And those sounds just seem to get swallowed whole by a bass rig and a kick drum. I’m all about the JCM800 with a TS anything in front of it. Tighten / loosen / fine-tune the finished product with cab and speaker choice, GB, Vintage 30, GT75. That rig will keep your leads honest and sound enormous in a mix, whether live or recorded.

This

View attachment 103020

Into this:

View attachment 103023

Into that:

View attachment 103026

Is pretty much all the tones I could ever want.

This amp sounds fuckin bad ASS with all knobs at noon, but once you start tweaking it holy fuck. This thing is quiet like no amp I’ve ever had before, and the clean channel is the best I’ve played on a high gainer. Got a Telemaster here with some BKP Piledrivers in it and the neck pickup on that guitar sounds like a motherfuckin piano it’s that good.

Ch2+ is fantastic, just fuckin THUMPS you in the chest….it’s at the jam room and that channel on 2 starts the cymbals going, it’s crazy how much air it moves. Boosted? That shit is thrash heaven. Ch3 is liquid gain for days, it’s just magical, nothing I’ve tried can touch it.

Pedals are for flavor, just pushes it one way or the other….gotten heavy into sludge/doom the last few years due to an accident where I couldn’t play as fast or as long….I’m the only person I know playing 95% doom on a Diezel Herbert, so no one around here sounds like me, it’s great…these guys show up with their Oranges and Peaveys and Sunns and are fuckin stunned by what comes out of this amp.

Not too picky on cabs to my ears, built like a fuckin tank and can take some abuse.

I can appreciate your rig but for what I do? Mine is the fuckin BEST son!
I love my Herbert’s

9/13/2021 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

*First of all, I play metal so if you play country or jazz, you will have a totally different set of guidelines and can go start your own thread about haunting mids, tan pants and woody warmth.*

This rig is the best there is and here's why in order of importance-

1) The low end - sledgehammer chest pounding tightness and it chugs like no other! I can spend hours playing morse code on my E string.
2) Gain - so much gain that turning it up to ten is stupid amounts o' gain and then some. Boost pedal, funny funny, hah hah, nope.
3) Compression - near zero, pick attack is most important, clarity and note definition is as important as hygiene is.
4) Artifacts like hum and hiss - no mother-fucking gate. It is the absolute stupidest pedal there is. It negates all the above. There is no such thing as zero latency, it can't be done, impossible. My rig is pretty much dead silent when idling at band volume and gain is very very high.
5) No tone sucking pedals - I can plug straight in to the amp and it sounds the same as through the pedals.
6) Two amps in one - Yeah. A Mark llC+ and a Mark III.
7) Light weight and easy to set up - I have a custom snake and it takes no longer to set up than a regular head/cabinet rig to get ready. The power amp is stereo and I can run 4, 8 ohm cabinets if I want, and I want.

A Dumble amp, what the fuck does a Dumble do for you? Nothing I'd want and it can't do this ^. I'd like to try a Larry some day because I've never tried one, but that's about all. I've owned or have tried just about every amp on the market so I do know tone and have been lucky enough, and rich enough to own several amps at once to do direct, in room, comparisons.

I'm positive you think your rig is better, so let's hear why.
You actually claim ‘no compression’ with a straight face??
😂😂😂😂😂
No fucking chance. I love a good Mesa rig, and yours is cool but they are just as compressed as any other Mark, which is to say A LOT. Not EVH compression but every one of my C+ had a good amount of compression; I’ve played those preamps and unless they have some special sauce they ain’t close to a C+ tonally. Good that it works for you though.
I’ll tell you why my 72 SuperTrem shits all over yours: because of cut. I don’t care WHAT you add to that rig; you won’t even hear it when played next to mine. You’ll hear a low end rumble but that’s it. It’s all about the mids: your rig has none compared to a Marshall. And, I’m talking no boost straight in dimed everything. If I boost it your house gets flattened so that’s no good.

Haha I’m just kidding mostly; but I ran my C+ Coli with my 72 and I couldn’t even hear my Coli. Love my C+s and Triple F but if were gigging tonight it’s gonna be a Marshall for the cut.

😂😂😂😂😂
No fucking chance. I love a good Mesa rig, and yours is cool but they are just as compressed as any other Mark, which is to say A LOT. Not EVH compression but every one of my C+ had a good amount of compression; I’ve played those preamps and unless they have some special sauce they ain’t close to a C+ tonally. Good that it works for you though.
I’ll tell you why my 72 SuperTrem shits all over yours: because of cut. I don’t care WHAT you add to that rig; you won’t even hear it when played next to mine. You’ll hear a low end rumble but that’s it. It’s all about the mids: your rig has none compared to a Marshall. And, I’m talking no boost straight in dimed everything. If I boost it your house gets flattened so that’s no good.

Haha I’m just kidding mostly; but I ran my C+ Coli with my 72 and I couldn’t even hear my Coli. Love my C+s and Triple F but if were gigging tonight it’s gonna be a Marshall for the cut.
I was thinking the same thing. On what planet does a Mark have “near zero” compression? Lol
And he wouldn’t cut through butter with those EQ settings. Definitely a cool rig though! :thumbsup:

😂😂😂😂😂

I agree with all that, would just say though that my regular c+ hrg, has more mids and cuts a lot better than my coli’s, but of course Marshall is Marshall lol. Not gonna compete with that. I think my only amps that would be able to rival Marshalls for cut would be my ‘89 SLO, Purpleface, Schroeder and Alessandro. The latter 2 I’d have to hear in context to confirm, but I think they very well might be able to. At least in my room, nothing I have flattens those latter 2 and both are just 2 powertube amps. The Schroeder makes my Hiwatt and Wizard comparatively compressed

The Dumble though might have the most cut of what I’ve tried. I’ve even heard stories that Robben Ford used to have to play his Dumbles in other rooms because they were cutting too much over other instruments

To answer the OP’s question though, I think SBlue’s rig puts us all to shame lol

I would add also for low end or bigness like the OP mentioned, gotta try a Blueface VH4 or Beta. Those are probably the kings for that thing of what I’ve tried. And for low mid thickness Triple Rev F/C and Rev 1 Uber have been top there. I still think no amp or piece of gear truly has it all

Last edited:
Back