Wizard MTL darker than other Wizards?

I have an original Uber too and a 2016 MTL (considered MK1 I guess). Although other Wizard's are brighter with less lower mids than the MTL, I find it to still be a pretty bright amp overall and definitely brighter than my Uber. It is less modern to me than the Uber. I agree that both the MTL and MC I had did have a certain roundness to the sound in a way that I actually don’t prefer. The '96 MC I had had more mids and uppermids, but they both have the overall Wizard sound. They both have this somewhat hollow quality in the mids. I set my presence at 8.5-9/10, treble 6/10, bright 4/10. I tend to often like things bright, but I wouldn't got more than that on my MTL. Maybe the MK2 version is darker? Is yours the EL34 version? If it's 6L6 or KT88's I can also see that making it rounder or darker possibly

I have an original Uber too and a 2016 MTL (considered MK1 I guess). Although other Wizard's are brighter with less lower mids than the MTL, I find it to still be a pretty bright amp overall and definitely brighter than my Uber. It is less modern to me than the Uber. I agree that both the MTL and MC I had did have a certain roundness to the sound in a way that I actually don’t prefer. The '96 MC I had had more mids and uppermids, but they both have the overall Wizard sound. They both have this somewhat hollow quality in the mids. I set my presence at 8.5-9/10, treble 6/10, bright 4/10. I tend to often like things bright, but I wouldn't got more than that on my MTL. Maybe the MK2 version is darker? Is yours the EL34 version? If it's 6L6 or KT88's I can also see that making it rounder or darker possibly
Thanks for your thoughts here mate, great to hear from someone who has both these amps.

I think you're right in that the Uber is more modern at the end of the day.

Not that it's a bad thing but I think I might be expecting the MTL to get to that level of 'modern-ness' which it may not be capable of. Not a bad thing, just different.

I know what you mean about the MTL mids, definitely different and unique.

Mine is the EL34 version.

I think the hugeness and roundness of the MTL makes it less up front and in your face, less focused and modern.

Still learning a lot about the amp and how it behaves.

The Uber on the other hand is instant gratification, I barely touch the knobs

Mesa 4x12 w/ V30s

I get the brightness with my other amps, no problems.

I'll keep playing around to get it more 'present' and up front.
I would consider getting another cab with GBs or H30 Anniversary speakers; or maybe the Creamback 65s as they will handle the power better. Those speakers or a combination will have a brighter response vs the Mesa cab.

When I had my Wizards, I had a C+ and also a Mesa cab to go with it. The Wizards liked the Mesa V30 cab far less than my GB, 65 or H30 cabs. Greenbacks or similar sounded far better to my ears.

Treble, presence and bright should be at 3:00+ mids noon or less and same for basss and depth. Mid sweep at 1:00 if a mk3
I agree with Matt's suggestions here. I have a MTL mk1 and mk2 ...... Bright at around 3:00 really opens the amp up and gets that brightness you are looking for. Presence around 3:00 tightens up the lowend , its not harsh set this way. Be moderate with the bass and depth. Keep the sweep set 1-2:00. Keep the shift pushed in.Mine sounds incredible this way through v30s.

If you have a Mesa traditional cab I would say thats part of the darkness, lol. I have one of those cabs also. If you have a recto cab then not so much, those cabs have more treble response. If your amp sounds like a transistor radio set this way I would start experimenting with tube rolling. JJ preamp tubes are dark and warm sounding tubes, you might want to try a few Chinese in there. Lastly, are you boosting the amp in front ?

I agree with Matt's suggestions here. I have a MTL mk1 and mk2 ...... Bright at around 3:00 really opens the amp up and gets that brightness you are looking for. Presence around 3:00 tightens up the lowend , its not harsh set this way. Be moderate with the bass and depth. Keep the sweep set 1-2:00. Keep the shift pushed in.Mine sounds incredible this way through v30s.

If you have a Mesa traditional cab I would say thats part of the darkness, lol. I have one of those cabs also. If you have a recto cab then not so much, those cabs have more treble response. If your amp sounds like a transistor radio set this way I would start experimenting with tube rolling. JJ preamp tubes are dark and warm sounding tubes, you might want to try a few Chinese in there. Lastly, are you boosting the amp in front ?
Great info mate, thanks.

I'll try to record some clips tonight and share back where i get to

I thought mine sounded a little dark and hollow but once I got over the “set it all at noon” bias and bumped the bright (about 2:00-3:00 for me) and presence (also 2:00). I also got an MCII for the same reasons you listed and in the hopes that it would be an either/or scenario. The MCII has a more prominent high-mid focus that I love. It complements the MTL perfectly so my “either/or” plans were foiled and I’m keeping both.

I thought mine sounded a little dark and hollow but once I got over the “set it all at noon” bias and bumped the bright (about 2:00-3:00 for me) and presence (also 2:00). I also got an MCII for the same reasons you listed and in the hopes that it would be an either/or scenario. The MCII has a more prominent high-mid focus that I love. It complements the MTL perfectly so my “either/or” plans were foiled and I’m keeping both.
Nice expensive way to do it haha

Ok you guys have convinced me to try the bright cranked up again so i'll give that a go 👍

Here's some clips to show what i'm hearing.

The Uber seems to have something else going in the mids that gives it a more aggressive cut.
MTL still sounds great but not quite as angry as the Uber.

The presence, treble and sweep is cranked very high on the MLT in these.

That is strange, because my W800 would be hard pressed to sit back in any mix..
Yep you're hearing what I'm hearing too.

That's why I started the thread and I have a feeling because the MLT is stronger in the lower mids, the highs/high mids don't sizzle quite as much.

Not a bad thing, just a different flavour.

It's like the Uber mids sit a little higher and that helps the cut and being more up front.

Back