WTB Mark IIC+ Coliseum

Krull":xo1fgei1 said:
Yeah when you send $10K to someone online for an amp you haven’t played and heard, that’s ballsy.

I guess the idea, in terms of investment, is that it doesn't really matter how it sounds. As long as it is legit, it holds its value (or even appreciates).

But yeah, personally I've never been a collector and I buy amps for how they sound, not how much they are worth. But I can easily see how someone who's loaded would see this as chump change, and is more in it for the chase.

Dick Butter Nuts":s0je4zl2 said:
Racerxrated":s0je4zl2 said:
Dick Butter Nuts":s0je4zl2 said:
I'd rather put my $8500 in the bank vs. an amp sitting in a house that could be burglarized/burned/flooded then trying to get my homeowner's insurance to reimburse me for the amp.

$8500 in fuck around money on an amp you love to play? For those that can do that, more power to ya. But as an investment? Nope. Not for me anyway.
All you have to do is make sure you list your valuable contents, like jewelry/Gear/etc with your homeowners ins, and give your agent proof of ownership. Pics, serials, appraisals etc. As long as you do that you won't have an issue getting reimbursed. I do see your point though..I used to buy stuff to flip/gig with 10 yrs ago before I was here. I always had a different amp at each gig..it became funny to my bandmates. Lol. Now I don't care as much, I sold my Wizard for a little less than I paid for it when I realized I could pull off a C+ Coliseum..that was the one amp I'd always wanted.
:rock:

And it's up to the homeowner to have the pics, appraisals, and proof of insurance stored in a secure place that could not be burned, flooded, burglarized, or barfed on.

As to not having an issue getting reimbursed from the insurance company? I don't know and it's something I would rather not roll the dice on.

I would rather put my $8500 in the bank vs. an amp when it comes to investment strategy. Not gonna sell an amp online for anywhere near $8500 and rely on ebay/reverb/paypal/USPS/UPS/Fedex to make it right.

:)

I don't buy gear as investments. Never have and never will. I will buy knowing that I can at least break even, or come out ahead when I do sell. But even then, when GAS hits, I may take a loss if I HAVE to have something. Lol. As far as valuable documents, the smart thing to do is have a safe deposit box at your bank for your important papers. Good idea for everyone to have one.
Knowing what I have into my Coliseum, I'd easily make a killing on it if it were to sell for HALF of what this latest one sold for.
But it's not for sale. I play it nearly every day. That's why I bought one.

I called MESA/Boogie yesterday a I got an answering machine so I left a message with Mike who didn't call back, they must've closed down for a few weeks. I was going to ask him about transporting a Studio pre-amp's pre into a Mark 2 Coliseum to make a Coli C+? Possible?

Markedman":2kc3mdlo said:
I called MESA/Boogie yesterday a I got an answering machine so I left a message with Mike who didn't call back, they must've closed down for a few weeks. I was going to ask him about transporting a Studio pre-amp's pre into a Mark 2 Coliseum to make a Coli C+? Possible?
I would open up the Studio up and see what the pre board number is...if it does have an RP10 or RP11 (I've never heard they did; just that they can be made to sound similar) then it may be possible to have Mike swap the pre board into a 2B Coliseum. It can be be done.

But I only know of the 2C having the right pre board.

MARK2C":16w50qqa said:
Scumback Speakers":16w50qqa said:
exo-metal":16w50qqa said:
Please PM me and expect a smooth deal.
I just sold exo-metal a pair of Creamback G12M's. He called me, he paid me in five minutes. That seemed like a smooth deal to me.

Are you officially sanctioning homophobia ?
I officially think you should change your name from boogiebabies to crybabies. If you don't like what I have to say don't shit on my front lawn and expect not to hear it pussy.

Markedman":c1aq3vyw said:
Did you ever get any further with this? Interesting idea.

No. Mesa must've shut down.

I bought, um paid for a quad reverb and 50/50 power amp and the motherfucker motherfucked me by not sending it!!! It is through Reverb so I'll get my money back but, motherfucker! Sitting here all pissed off!! :gethim:

Markedman":2wfpxuwi said:
No. Mesa must've shut down.

I bought, um paid for a quad reverb and 50/50 power amp and the motherfucker motherfucked me by not sending it!!! It is through Reverb so I'll get my money back but, motherfucker! Sitting here all pissed off!! :gethim:
Reverb is now officially worse than Ebay.
:thumbsdown:

EXPcustom":aohfgidy said:
Krull":aohfgidy said:
EXPcustom":aohfgidy said:
Krull":aohfgidy said:
:LOL: :LOL: I’d rather keep my Mark III coli and about $8500 in my pocket.

I'd rather invest my 8500 into a better sounding amp that I will be able to sell for exponential amount of money in ten years.

That’s cool man. You do that. Sounds better? Debatable. I have a iic+ and in the end after playing them loud for 10 minutes your ears start to compress to the point that you can’t hear a noticeable difference.

The 2 amps are basically the same, with a few trace differences on the circuit board and some components that cost a few dollars.

You also assume in 10 years people collecting gear will either still be alive or even care.

I've heard IIC+s that sound like shit so not going argue but I doubt all gen-Xers will be dead in 10 years unless Corona is that bad.

I just don't see the crazy demand for MkIIIs if they sounded just as good because their would be and the price would reflect it.

If you think in 10 years no one will care about gear is nuts, it's like saying in 10 years no one will care about vintage cars or WWII airplanes or history in general. An industry as big as vintage gear isn't like beanie babies were it' just a fad that dies. :doh:

Years ago mentoneman had a beautiful MKII Coli, wicker/wood, eq, rev and it NEVER sounded as good as my MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head on the Lead channel. Clean tone was great/Just as good. We Tried EVERYTHING we could think, when A/B testing-- to no avail.

I got my MKIII Coli new in '86 and it's been a work horse for me. Great Amp! One of my favorites, but for that kind of coin-- I'd actually consider someone making that kind of an offer very seriously for about 2 seconds-- before I sold it to them.

Sounds like either Mesa boogie mark series amps are not very consistent or we all have a differing preference on tone. I A/B’d my Mk III coli and mkiic+ again yesterday and now I prefer the iic+. Meh.

Zachman":1x08hsm0 said:
EXPcustom":1x08hsm0 said:
Krull":1x08hsm0 said:
EXPcustom":1x08hsm0 said:
Krull":1x08hsm0 said:

I'd rather invest my 8500 into a better sounding amp that I will be able to sell for exponential amount of money in ten years.

That’s cool man. You do that. Sounds better? Debatable. I have a iic+ and in the end after playing them loud for 10 minutes your ears start to compress to the point that you can’t hear a noticeable difference.

The 2 amps are basically the same, with a few trace differences on the circuit board and some components that cost a few dollars.

You also assume in 10 years people collecting gear will either still be alive or even care.

I've heard IIC+s that sound like shit so not going argue but I doubt all gen-Xers will be dead in 10 years unless Corona is that bad.

I just don't see the crazy demand for MkIIIs if they sounded just as good because their would be and the price would reflect it.

If you think in 10 years no one will care about gear is nuts, it's like saying in 10 years no one will care about vintage cars or WWII airplanes or history in general. An industry as big as vintage gear isn't like beanie babies were it' just a fad that dies. :doh:

Years ago mentoneman had a beautiful MKII Coli, wicker/wood, eq, rev and it NEVER sounded as good as my MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class head on the Lead channel. Clean tone was great/Just as good. We Tried EVERYTHING we could think, when A/B testing-- to no avail.

I got my MKIII Coli new in '86 and it's been a work horse for me. Great Amp! One of my favorites, but for that kind of coin-- I'd actually consider someone making that kind of an offer very seriously for about 2 seconds-- before I sold it to them.

I am going to open another can of worms but if it was a short head vs long head I would rather have the mk.III long head col. vs a IC+ loaded short head.

EXPcustom":2l4xh3op said:
Zachman":2l4xh3op said:
Krull":2l4xh3op said:
Krull":2l4xh3op said:

I am going to open another can of worms but if it was a short head vs long head I would rather have the mk.III long head col. vs a IC+ loaded short head.
:confused:

I get that you feel the long head vs short head has tonal differences...but the Mark III has a completely different preamp board than the C+; which leads to a completely different tone. The clarity and bouncy feel of the C+ is not even in the same ballpark as a III. Not knocking a III Coli as all Coliseums are flat out sonic destruction...I've had 2 prior 2B Coliseums and they killed. But the difference in clarity between the Mark III (I've owned 2) and the 2C+ is night/day. From my experience anyway.

Racerxrated":2xzvjpls said:
EXPcustom":2xzvjpls said:
Zachman":2xzvjpls said:
Krull":2xzvjpls said:
Krull":2xzvjpls said:

I get that you feel the long head vs short head has tonal differences...but the Mark III has a completely different preamp board than the C+; which leads to a completely different tone. The clarity and bouncy feel of the C+ is not even in the same ballpark as a III. Not knocking a III Coli as all Coliseums are flat out sonic destruction...I've had 2 prior 2B Coliseums and they killed. But the difference in clarity between the Mark III (I've owned 2) and the 2C+ is night/day. From my experience anyway.

You know you're right on one thing, I went back to check and look at pics when me and my friend who was teching with Slayer at the time did the comparison. It was a IIC+ but was lacking simulclass vs the loaded coli mkIII head. Other than that we did side by side comparisons of loaded mkIII and IIC+ long heads using an ISO cab and the IIC+ always won hands down. One thing that stood out to me was the lower frequencies the III just lacked. I really wish I had recorded clips of those tests/comparisons we did at my friend's home studio at the time.

The III is where the power section was changed. Makes sense. The IIC+ longshell simul is unreal no doubt it settles it but I'm pretty drunk right now....

exo-metal":dtjrlnv1 said:
The III is where the power section was changed. Makes sense. The IIC+ longshell simul is unreal no doubt it settles it but I'm pretty drunk right now....
According to Mike B, the power section of the 2B Coliseums are a little 'beefier' than the the following 2C/C+, and the III Coli power section was changed a little bit as well. In other words they became slightly 'tamer' over the evolution of the Coliseum. Doubtful anyone would notice though...esp at volume.

EXPcustom":2xy2ev2x said:
Racerxrated":2xy2ev2x said:
Zachman":2xy2ev2x said:
Krull":2xy2ev2x said:
Krull":2xy2ev2x said:

You know you're right on one thing, I went back to check and look at pics when me and my friend who was teching with Slayer at the time did the comparison. It was a IIC+ but was lacking simulclass vs the loaded coli mkIII head. Other than that we did side by side comparisons of loaded mkIII and IIC+ long heads using an ISO cab and the IIC+ always won hands down. One thing that stood out to me was the lower frequencies the III just lacked. I really wish I had recorded clips of those tests/comparisons we did at my friend's home studio at the time.

One huge and obvious difference is the iron, when it comes to Mk II vs Mk III...not only is the preamp circuit WAY different (totally different board) but the transformers are half the size! Fun fact also...did you know the 2C+ and prior 2B Sixty watt (SRGs) transformers would end up being the Mark III transformers? Used on all models except for the Coliseum. PT only. That alone tells me all I need to know about the differences between 2Cs and IIIs.
The only model Mark III that gets good consistent reviews when compared to a 2C is the no stripe with the 105. Iron matters.

Not at all saying the Mark III is a 'meh' amp or anything, just pointing out some glaring differences. Couple those with my own experience with 2 Mark IIIs and I just can't see anyone ever seriously comparing a III with a 2C/C+. It was like a 'blanket over the speakers' difference...
I'm sure the III Coli is closest though. Same transformers used with some filtering differences over the years.

Racerxrated":cuid7obr said:
EXPcustom":cuid7obr said:
Racerxrated":cuid7obr said:
Zachman":cuid7obr said:
Krull":cuid7obr said:
Krull":cuid7obr said:

One huge and obvious difference is the iron, when it comes to Mk II vs Mk III...not only is the preamp circuit WAY different (totally different board) but the transformers are half the size! Fun fact also...did you know the 2C+ and prior 2B Sixty watt (SRGs) transformers would end up being the Mark III transformers? Used on all models except for the Coliseum. PT only. That alone tells me all I need to know about the differences between 2Cs and IIIs.
The only model Mark III that gets good consistent reviews when compared to a 2C is the no stripe with the 105. Iron matters.

Not at all saying the Mark III is a 'meh' amp or anything, just pointing out some glaring differences. Couple those with my own experience with 2 Mark IIIs and I just can't see anyone ever seriously comparing a III with a 2C/C+. It was like a 'blanket over the speakers' difference...
I'm sure the III Coli is closest though. Same transformers used with some filtering differences over the years.

Im actually going to A/B a MK3 with 105 and a MK3 with the newer/smaller transformer (both black/no stripe) today.

danburton":1lrdnmbc said:
Racerxrated":1lrdnmbc said:
EXPcustom":1lrdnmbc said:
Racerxrated":1lrdnmbc said:
Zachman":1lrdnmbc said:
Krull":1lrdnmbc said:
Krull":1lrdnmbc said:

Im actually going to A/B a MK3 with 105 and a MK3 with the newer/smaller transformer (both black/no stripe) today.
Looking forward to your review.

Back