Yeah I finally got it

I got the latest strain a month back and I was out of work for 2 weeks feeling like I was dying on the couch. 101 temp first few days, awful sore throat, shit in my chest. I’d hack shit up in the middle of the night and spit it in a cup and lay back down. It was fucking awful. I lost 8 pounds the second week alone. Now I have bronchial spasms on the tail end of it but every day is better. My blood ox dropped as low as 89. I told my wife if it goes to 85 or lower I’m going to the ER. Shit was scary because it was all I could do to make sure I kept hacking that shit out of my chest every day. It was brutal. Started feeling better around day 5 then tanked again. I tested positive through day 10. Started improving around day 8 or so, I can’t remember as that was the brain fog area. I lost all sense of taste and smell. Just last week, 3 weeks after exposure, my sweat tea tasted like hand soap and actual hand soap smelled like gasoline. The gas smell was so bad from the hand soap that it gave me a headache. Speaking of which I still have headaches that last 3 days or more. Bastards won’t go away. Virus fucked me two ways to Sunday.
glad you came out the other side brother. yup the cron drilled me and the missus. i flopped back and forth on a couch in our garage unable to sleep, honking like a goose, miserably uncomfortable, zero appetite, pounding tylenol trying to keep my temp under 100 and basically dying.

for those who haven’t experienced it:
mistake #1-sleeping flat on my back. don’t do that.
mistake #2-went outside to sit in the sun for a little fresh air. temp spiked to 103 and O2 dropped to 92. won myself an ambulance ride to the ‘spital.

this last variant thing was super minor for me—i get more congested after a day of surfing—but coffee tasted like putting a dirty penny in my mouth and i couldn’t smell jack.

Hey man I believe Dan would be right in on that conversation, the first person that we know of that got sick and died from this shit was Splatter. I think its a disservice not to discuss it. I believe at 50% of the population are in denial about this bullshit. It took Dan from us.
Man, you guys would have jumped on the chance to "discuss" with Jesus the benefits and utility of crusifiction after his resurrection.
Just leave it and let's get back to grieving a lost member.

I would say he has dealt with more than the average guy here :dunno:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/found-one-lost-mailman.170165/
Whenever I hear war veterans with multiple types of cancer, plus I recall him talking if about getting pancreatitis, I immediately think about those nasty burn pits the military used in Afghanistan and Iraq. I see this all of the time. Meanwhile our politicians would rather focus on changing the names of racist bridges and roads, animal gender studies, and political witch hunt instead of taking care of our vets who were pawns. Sorry to go political, but most veterans don’t serve because they’re Democrat or Republican, but because they felt the calling to serve. As I stated before, Dan was a combat vet who took a bullet to the chest. I can tell you first hand, the VA medical system is broken and inefficient and civilian hospital systems are strained due to the uninsured and people abusing the system. I recall chatting with him when the pandemic started in 2020 and he was telling me that all of his VA appointments were cancelled. Again, sorry, but Dan deserved better!!

Last edited:
Whenever I hear war veterans with multiple types of cancer, plus I recall him talking if about getting pancreatitis, I immediately think about those nasty burn pits the military used in Afghanistan and Iraq. I see this all of the time. Meanwhile our politicians would rather focus on changing the names of racist bridges and roads, animal gender studies, and political witch hunt instead of taking care of our vets who were pawns. Sorry to go political, but most veterans don’t serve because they’re Democrat or Republican, but because they felt the calling to serve. As I stated before, Dan was a combat vet who took a bullet to the chest. I can tell you first hand, the VA medical system is broken and inefficient and civilian hospital systems are strained due to the uninsured and people abusing the system. I recall chatting with him when the pandemic started in 2020 and he was telling me that all of his VA appointments were cancelled. Again, sorry, but Dan deserved better!!
your damn right. we talked about that a lot. SHAMEFUL.....

Not being disrespectful about Dan`s death but sometimes things need to be said imo cause this shit is fucked up. There has been alot of members on here that dissappeared , who knows they may have got took by it also. 98% of people on here dont know each other, so you never know.

But that would be saying that the vaccine caused these deaths and he was according to others, vaccinated. As others said it isn't the place to argue but I think ultimately the best defence to covid no matter what your views, is to try and be as healthy as you can be. Unfortunately some people with conditions out of their control don't get that chance. The whole thing is random. Vaccinated or not. I was with a bunch of people who tested positive after a wedding last weekend. I didn't get it. They did.

glad you came out the other side brother. yup the cron drilled me and the missus. i flopped back and forth on a couch in our garage unable to sleep, honking like a goose, miserably uncomfortable, zero appetite, pounding tylenol trying to keep my temp under 100 and basically dying.

for those who haven’t experienced it:
mistake #1-sleeping flat on my back. don’t do that.
mistake #2-went outside to sit in the sun for a little fresh air. temp spiked to 103 and O2 dropped to 92. won myself an ambulance ride to the ‘spital.

this last variant thing was super minor for me—i get more congested after a day of surfing—but coffee tasted like putting a dirty penny in my mouth and i couldn’t smell jack.
For sure a huge piece of overcoming this virus is sleeping flat on your stomach and actually your feet slightly elevated. You’ll cough the shit out of your chest and your lungs will drain. It’s uncomfortable as hell but I took beendryl at night so I could sleep. It worked.

Looking back on some of my PMs, he was pretty ill back in 2015. He told me he had almost checked out back then. This really sucks!

There is no rhyme or reason to how people handle it, trust me my wife (a nurse) and I have tried to find a pattern.

I've had it twice and am Mailman's age and have a few health things, nothing serious. With me:
- First time: 2030 and started getting pneumonia and three weeks straight of a headache and a bunch of other stuff.
- Vaccine: Felt like shit for 2 days
- Booster 1: Felt like shit for about 24 hours
- Booster 2: Felt like shit for 3 days
- Covid a few weeks ago: Sore throat and Nadal and some cough but healthiest "sick" I've ever had. Was barely noticeable

I work with 1000s of people in my building. Some haven't felt a thing, some horrible experiences, and some deaths. But they all vary, even between young, old, variant types, etc. Just crazy.

I think Dan had the first variant right before I got it but can't remember. He was one of the first here to get it. Splatter had a bunch of lung stuff but doctor recommended he get put on a vent. Dan's situation is crazy because I've only seen situations where there is a decline. His seemed sudden but he may not have known. I tested negative and then three days later I was positive. I thought it was just a cold.

For sure a huge piece of overcoming this virus is sleeping flat on your stomach and actually your feet slightly elevated. You’ll cough the shit out of your chest and your lungs will drain. It’s uncomfortable as hell but I took beendryl at night so I could sleep. It worked.
They were putting patients this way ( or told too anyway) as one way to deal with the virus but I know for me with a back problem, I wouldn't be able to do it for hours on end. Maybe if they drugged me up but at home, I wouldn't like my odds. Vitamin D also supposed to help, been on it now since beginning of pandemic. Who knows..can't hurt.

They were putting patients this way ( or told too anyway) as one way to deal with the virus but I know for me with a back problem, I wouldn't be able to do it for hours on end. Maybe if they drugged me up but at home, I wouldn't like my odds. Vitamin D also supposed to help, been on it now since beginning of pandemic. Who knows..can't hurt.
I’ve got mild scoliosis so I can relate. I self drugged myself with a Benadryl to fall asleep. I always woke up coughing anyway but at least it was productive coughing. I’m 3 weeks from testing positive and still have wet coughing. My blood ox levels are 99 though so it’s just residual fluid.

I’ve got mild scoliosis so I can relate. I self drugged myself with a Benadryl to fall asleep. I always woke up coughing anyway but at least it was productive coughing. I’m 3 weeks from testing positive and still have wet coughing. My blood ox levels are 99 though so it’s just residual fluid.
Did you have a history of any asthma or respitory issues before the vid?

Hey man I believe Dan would be right in on that conversation, the first person that we know of that got sick and died from this shit was Splatter. I think its a disservice not to discuss it. I believe at 50% of the population are in denial about this bullshit. It took Dan from us.
Damn splatter too? I remember him from the old days.

Very sad.

My wife spent 15 days in the ICU and 6 weeks total in the hospital with severe covid pneumonia in Nov-Dec 2021. On the day they admitted her, the doctor told me she “Might have a 25% chance on a good day”. Fortunately she survived, but is still on oxygen and still gets “wiped out” by exertion but she is improving.

Don’t overthink it guys. He had severe Covid, it wrecks you. My wife still has brain fog and will struggle at times to remember words. It even changed her hand writing and signature. She shuffles like Ozzy now. I would not be surprised if Covid affected how Dan was writing.

When it goes bad with Covid, it happens quickly. My wife went from “on the mend” to respiratory failure overnight.

Sucks this happened to Dan. Prayers to his family.

Last edited:
The hospital pushed proning hard with my wife.

You should NOT take sudafed, benadryl, etc. It “dries up” fluid in the lungs. The doctors were adamant about this. They told my wife, “it will cause you to have thicker mucus in the lungs that is even harder to expel, and Covid mucus is already extremely thick and hard to expel”. Use an expectorant instead.

I didn't know Dan, but enjoyed his posts and banter with everyone. Sux that he's gone.
Covid sux. No rhyme or reason to it.
I've had healthy 20 yr old pts not make it, and older folks with health issues come out of a long battle, basically back to baseline. We never know how it's going to go.
A friend of mine in her mid 30s was on a vent for months, finally improved, can't really do much like walk or shower, basic stuff, on her own.
Mine, back at Christmas thru New years 2021, was rough. On the 7th day of being wiped out, coughing my throat inside out, fever, taking all the meds and laying prone as much as possible, it hadn't let up. I thought, well if it doesn't get better tomorrow I'm probably in trouble.
The next day I finally felt a small improvement, and the fever started to let up. It took quite a while to feel close to normal, and nearly a year before I felt like my cardio was what it used to be. I do PFTs on myself to QA our equipment, and they have never been as good as pre covid, so there's some permanent damage there.
this happened so fast.. incredibly sad. My brother in law is in ICU going through the same thing now.
Hope he makes it.

Back