Yngwie Shreeding on a 1959 Les Paul

All the greats that came up in the 80s, Shrapnel records players ALL owe their inspiration from YJM.

A bunch of them for sure, but there were a number that stood out on their own.
Michael Lee Firkins, Ritchie Kotzen, Shawn Lane, and Jason Becker of course.
They could all blaze neo-classical runs, but that was far from their main thing.

Both Friedman and Batio had recorded for Varney before Malmsteen did with Steeler.

Last edited:
They could all blaze neo-classical runs, but that was far from their main thing.

Both Friedman and Batio had recorded for Varney before Malmsteen did with Steeler.
A big influence for me other than those mentioned is Criss Oliva. That guy was so good and hardly got any recognition.

Awesome track, love it. Yngwie is still the King IMO....still the last of the greats.....stuck to his guns....I DO wish he'd go back to heavy hitting band members....the Last great Malmsteen Record(though there's still some good shit after it like Attack) is Alchemy, which is IMO the pinnacle of his works....some inhuman chops on that record, even had some new licks.....he was on fire at the end of the 90's.....Malmsteens peak records chop wise(when he gives a fuck the most I think) are Trilogy, Fire and Ice, and Alchemy.

Malmsteen predates those...he’s older and was recorded with Alcatraz or Steeler when he was 18/19? Not sure if you’re dates are correct.

A big influence for me other than those mentioned is Criss Oliva. That guy was so good and hardly got any recognition.

I remember him. RIP.
That period was the pinnacle of electric heavy rock guitar. I use to get Guitar World and Guitar for the Practicing Musician
back then and it seemed like every issue you were learning about someone new who just had chops from another world.
Both of those rags released their own compilation CDs with all of those guys just freaking going nuts with no constraints.

419n7-brgpL.jpg

@Racerxrated I was talking specific to Varney. The Steeler record was definitely like his 4th or 5th release.

Malmsteen predates those...he’s older and was recorded with Alcatraz or Steeler when he was 18/19? Not sure if you’re dates are correct.

Also, it would be interesting to ask each of those players who their main influences were. We know Gilbert’s is YJM...YRO on the first RacerX album( Yngwie Rip Off)

I think Gilbert had a healthy respect for Akira Takisaki from Loudness too. That guy has killer chops AND writes great riffs and has tone to die for.

Yngwie was shredding like he does in Sweden back in 78 before he came to the states.

How is it that all of the Varney shredders emerged all at the same time though? Certainly whoever the first shredder was, inspired most of them.

For example, if Yngwie was the first and most known shredder to emerge, besides EVH, then everyone who was exposed to him and wanted to be like him, would have probably taken years to develop their own style, skill, technique, after seeing the first shredder. But YJM MAB PG SL all emerged around the same time on the Varney label. Did they all just happen to be practicing shredding at home, separately and simultaneously, without knowing about or hearing anyone else,, and reached peak skill all around the same time to get noticed by Varney all at the same time? It seems so.

I've been trying to shredding like those guys for 20 years and can't come close. But they all developed amazing shred skills all at the same time.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, this is what greatness is, watch this and weep. Focus never played this song the same way, ever! It is true improvising at it's best, no two alike.

Yngwie has noted Jan Ackerman as one of his influences.

I would have liked this thread better had it not gone off the farm, debating the dudes career and the who mattered or was first. The best part is the ops clip, not all the accomplished songwriters here who it bores, like they are Lennon haha

Last edited:
I’ll add to the debate. Full Disclosure, I discovered Yngwie during his Alcatrazz stint and then ordered Steeler on Vinyl before the original Rising Force album came out in ‘84. I lived and breathed Yngwie through the late 80s. And have cringed along with the other devoted disciples at his less impressive efforts of late. So I am biased. In ‘78 Ed literally changed the guitar landscape. That does not minimize or trivialize the blistering works of Frank Marino or Pat Travers or Gary Richrath etc. But Ed changed the game. Everything that came out between ‘78 and ‘84 was someone attempting to move (some successfully) the boundary that EVH established on the first VH album. The guitar landscaped changed again after the ’84 Rising Force album in the same way that the landscape changed after the first VH album in ‘78. Vinnie Moore, Tony Macalpine, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Steve Vai, etc. In no way am I suggesting that these guys would not have been monster players had Yngwie never come along - but Yngwie’s whole ‘thing’ provided both artistic inspiration and a commercial ‘lane’ for what these guys did. Hendrix - Edward - Yngwie. These guys mark substantively different ‘eras’ of the then existing state of the art of electric guitar. That doesn’t minimize any other players’ contributions. But I think those 3 are fur sure Mt. Rushmore players.

Not everyone on this forum was into the scene back in ‘84, but watch this 5 minute clip - remember he was 19 or 20 when he played this - and ask yourself, was this more of the same of what was going on in 84, or was this just qualitatively different than anything and everything all those tapping in Ed’s wake were doing at the time:

Absolutely. Well said.

Reactions: PDC
Such a guitar god.

I hear more Yngwie in today’s modern guitarists then EVH or Hendrix, etc. I’m one of them. I sat for hours upon hours learning all of the songs to the first 4 Van Halen albums. Once I heard Yngwie I was hooked. I still play some VH stuff, but I play way more Yngwie influenced stuff...

I wish Yngwie would lose that leather pants, boots and opened button down shirt look and just dress casual. That whole rock star look is dated.
No way! He's like Peter Pan, never grew up and always stayed true to the cause. He's got that musketeer in gold chains vibe going and you have to love the frilly shirts. I suppose Yngwie toning the dress down a bit could look more like Joe Stump. Acceptable as long as he kept the mane.

Agreed. And case in point; he did a cover of "Mistreated" with Jeff Scott Soto IIRC, and during the first part of the solo, Yngwie plays not too fast and his phrasing is beautiful and tasteful. But then, ego kicks in, nitro kicks in and wooosh, natural minor arpeggio's in 64ths.

It's almost like trying to tell my 3 year old not to run outside... starts out great but then well....you know what happens. I think if you want to appreciate anything Yngwie does now, you need to slow the playback down so you can hear it at fast rather than the speed that lives between fast and Batio.

You can hear the Les Paul influence in there for sure but it still sounds like Yngwie. I think his strats offer more calrity however. I would love to hear a recorded album with that Les Paul tone. The rhythm would be amazing without to much of a loss lead guitar wise.

Back