Yngwie Style Shredding.

Amazing that it’s mostly thumb joint/finger movement and so little wrist. Similar to Yngwie. That’s a precision tool that right hand.

GTF outta my way middle pickup!

Amazing that it’s mostly thumb joint/finger movement and so little wrist.
To me it actually looks like it's mostly wrist and little to no thumb and finger movement. Thinking he might have a movement pattern similar to Igor Paspalj. I don't really see any flexing of the thumb or fingers for the speed picking, it seems to all happen around the wrist. What do you see that signals "finger" picking?

Paspalj, for reference:

To me it actually looks like it's mostly wrist and little to no thumb and finger movement. Thinking he might have a movement pattern similar to Igor Paspalj. I don't really see any flexing of the thumb or fingers for the speed picking, it seems to all happen around the wrist. What do you see that signals "finger" picking?

Paspalj, for reference:

That looks totally different to me. If I just focus on the wrist joint the guy in the op looks freakishly stationary yet the pick is flying. Then look at his thumb-hand joint, it’s oscillating back and forth like a machine.

Both have amazing right hands tho.

That looks totally different to me. If I just focus on the wrist joint the guy in the op looks freakishly stationary yet the pick is flying. Then look at his thumb-hand joint, it’s oscillating back and forth like a machine.

Yep, it can be a bit hard to tell with the wrist movements kinda blurring the thumb/fore finger movements but I agree.

I spent a very brief amount of time going over that Troy Grady pick slanting shit, I can understand how it works for some guys, but I tend to go in the opposite direction; my pick pretty much stays straight up and down and when I start getting into faster runs, my thumb/forefinger are doing all the individual picking while my wrist is just getting me to the next string and providing support.

Far more Petrucci-like in that it’s basically anchored in place and rather than the pick hitting the string and sliding off it, I push straight through it, which for me, gives the notes a bit more attack at higher speeds.

hey if you guys check out his Instagram page he has some detailed vids about his thumb vs wrist picking with some good angles

Never thought of getting that middle pickup out of the way like that.

I read in an Yngwie interview years ago, that he doesn't use/like the middle pickup and lowers them down flush with the body on all his Strats, so they won't be in his way.

This guy is great. I went down a rabbit hole last night after seeing this thread and watched several of his videos. He's like an idealized version of early Yngwie (pre car accident).

I agree that it overall looks different, I only included it because of the specific way Igor is flexing his wrist, which (exaggerated) is like this movement I believe: :gay:. The guy in the original video has his hand rotated so that palm is facing into the guitar more, but it looks like he's doing the same or similar wrist movement but with his wrist anchored around the bridge and smaller movements. If I anchor my right hand to the table along the pinky side and then make that wrist movement while keeping the side of my hand and wrist stuck to the table, I get a very similar looking movement where my wrist looks very close to stationary from the backside of the hand despite the fact that I'm flexing my wrist, possibly with a little rotation as well.

Fantastic but you are right about the picks and what I notice about my picking when I use those and a sharper edge. A lot more squawky attack which YJM doesn't have because of the 1.5 mm picks he uses. You have to watch how much you dig in with the thinner picks.

Back