Yo Monkey man, can we flag necros so dumbasses like me...

Good question Matt. I've no idea mate, but I suspect not.

Added to my "to do" queue and will take it up with admin.

Admin's not aware of such a thing but he'll look into it when he gets a chance.

I'll keep you informed, Matt.

Thread moved from OTC to Rig-Talk Feedback.

I have a love/hate relationship with necros. On one hand; most of the time it's just more commenting without adding anything productive to an inquiry. On the other; Many questions go unanswered and should be answered if even 10 years later for the benefit of the lurker looking to resolve an issue or question. Sometimes misinformation is found and needs to be updated. Half the internet anymore is people repeating something incorrect for years on. We should come back to this in the 30's.

Necro bumps do serve a purpose. One might view a message board as a library of knowledge, that is always available to be updated. Maybe a hot topic arose, and later newfound information was uncovered. Websites such as Rig-talk contain a plethora of insight that might only be accessed through the search function, and therefore old topics. I feel as though dissuading a new member from "bumping" those topics would be a bad idea if new knowledge could be added, or gained.

No question they're valuable, Brother B.

This is just about a more-obvious indicator for those reading that a thread's old.

Somehow I don't think there'll be provision in the software for this off-the-shelf. We all learn eventually to pay attention to the dates attached to each post.

I've always thought being able to change the text color would be an idea.
As long as there's a Google, no post is out of reach. But if we see a post with orange text show up on the main page, it's over X years old.
I assume this feature would be something the site owner would have to propose to XenForuo.
My guess is yeah, it'd likely have to be a tweak, but I like that idea man.

Members could have a preference option to turn the feature off or on.

Still waiting for word from admin on whether or not there's any ability to flag such threads...

Reactions: ZFG
It's a 1st-world "problem" when it comes down to it. :dunno:

Mind you, that's not what the OP was saying; it's that often peeps read several pages before they realise it's risen from the dead and therefore feel like they've wasted a bunch of time.

Mind you, that's not what the OP was saying; it's that often peeps read several pages before they realise it's risen from the dead and therefore feel like they've wasted a bunch of time.
This right here. I like seeing the necros and like them occasionally resurfacing...I just thought a marker would be helpful.

Necrobumps are always interesting. It is either someone adding something valuable, or maybe even doing it for fun. Or, it is the opposite - someone regurgitating an old thread with a dumb question. Like, 'how do you like that guitar'? If it was from 10 years then what are the chances? Or a search of an answer that could have been found in another way, without bumping a 10 year old thread.

Then I think there are people that are just afraid to make their own thread with their question.

Last edited:
I love it when someone gives a long well written helpful answer to the OP‘s question …..only to later realize the post is 10 years old and the OP has been gone for 10 years. Priceless.

Back