Your thoughts on the EVM12L

This. My best results have been mixing EVM12L’s with Celestion CL80’s and WGS ET90’s. EVM12L on its own is pretty sterile but has tons of clarity so spice it up a bit with something British.

Aren't the CL80's and the Mesa C90's very similar? If so, that'd make a lot of sense. Like I said above, they work great that way.

Aren't the CL80's and the Mesa C90's very similar? If so, that'd make a lot of sense. Like I said above, they work great that way.
Yes, they are very similar. I've mixed 12Ls in 4×12 cabs with CL80s, some Eminence Red Coats and even a pair of G12H100 with good results.

This. My best results have been mixing EVM12L’s with Celestion CL80’s and WGS ET90’s. EVM12L on its own is pretty sterile but has tons of clarity so spice it up a bit with something British.
This. I’ve had 3 412s (Boogie EV/C90) and 1 212 all EV. The C90 combination is a great sound; but they need serious wattage to get there. Like Coliseum wattage. Then, it becomes one of the best heavy tones I’ve ever heard. But only the Mark series as Rectos, Marshalls didn’t care for the cabs.
The EV 212, was ok. Needed volume to sound ok; low vol didn’t sound very good.
Mesa knew what they were doing with the Mark Coli + EV/C90 imo.

I have an old metal grill Mesa 4X12 cabinet with C90s in the top and 300 watt EVs in the bottom. I'm not sure of the difference between the old and new EVs though.

Heavy is a good word, that cabinet weighs as much as a small car even with only two! I use them with my Mark IV and I do like them. As others have said, they are very clear, neutral and I'll add detailed speakers. You definitely hear every single note. And of course LOUD!

I'd say they are bright, but that is probably and aspect of the amp and I feel like I can dial them how I want. I'll also add versatile because, due to their nature and depending on your amp, pick ups, etc., you can really play any style of music with them.

If you want a speaker that has sizzle, character, break up, imparts its own voice etc., probably not for you. If you want a speaker that is neutral, detailed, versatile and loud as f***, then you may want to check them out.

Probably and tone-wise since V30 almost sound like bees in a can. 🐝

I've never been much of a V30 fan either. I've heard people talk about needing to break them in, mixing them with 75's, etc. I'm sure there's a combo out there that I could get along with just fine, but it's always seemed like more work than just using other things that worked out of the box easier.

V30's remind me a bit of JB pickups. Lots of people love them, but I find both have this piercing upper mid thing going on that I just don't get along with all that well.

This. I’ve had 3 412s (Boogie EV/C90) and 1 212 all EV. The C90 combination is a great sound; but they need serious wattage to get there. Like Coliseum wattage. Then, it becomes one of the best heavy tones I’ve ever heard. But only the Mark series as Rectos, Marshalls didn’t care for the cabs.
The EV 212, was ok. Needed volume to sound ok; low vol didn’t sound very good.
Mesa knew what they were doing with the Mark Coli + EV/C90 imo.

Also, my old 2x12's have the close bottom/thiele deal with the EV's and open back with the C90's. It's a surprisingly balanced cab from everything from heavy to clean. I run a pair with the my Mesa Rack system. I'd dread hauling the thing without a roadie or two!

I've never been much of a V30 fan either. I've heard people talk about needing to break them in, mixing them with 75's, etc. I'm sure there's a combo out there that I could get along with just fine, but it's always seemed like more work than just using other things that worked out of the box easier.

V30's remind me a bit of JB pickups. Lots of people love them, but I find both have this piercing upper mid thing going on that I just don't get along with all that well.
V30s are picky with any Marshall not named Jubilee. With 1 exception-my 88 800 cab with the first version Marshall Vintages. Killer with all my amps. But any other V30 I’ve had-Mesa, Bogner, Fender Tonemaster cab from 91, or the 90s 16 ohm vintages forget about it. Grating to me.
Now, any and every Mesa I’ve had LOVES any V30 I throw at them.
Matching amps / speakers is huge.

Yea… v30s….bees in a can….‘super unpopular speaker….. definitely not used anywhere by anyone ever without sounding like a can of bees.
Right?

I've been going down the Mesa V30 rabbit hole, buying & trying different years. At this point I have no interest in any of the ones that are ~2004 or newer. Something changed & not in a pleasing way. I think a lot of guys have negative opinions on them based on newer units that really don't sound as good. ALTHOUGH, word on the street is Celestion recently fixed it & the brand new 2022 ones are voiced more like the old school ones. I have not tried them for myself yet, though.

This is a very good analogy! I've played JB for years and thought they were great pickups before I went a completely different route for quite a while and then after going back to the JB I just couldn't stand them anymore.

I've been going down the Mesa V30 rabbit hole, buying & trying different years. At this point I have no interest in any of the ones that are ~2004 or newer. Something changed & not in a pleasing way. I think a lot of guys have negative opinions on them based on newer units that really don't sound as good. ALTHOUGH, word on the street is Celestion recently fixed it & the brand new 2022 ones are voiced more like the old school ones. I have not tried them for myself yet, though.
Celestion moved majority of the production to China around that time but I don't think I've ever even had chinese Celestions let alone a '22 one so I could probably never really compare them. But there were already alternatives by other companies developed before Celestion moved production for those guitarists thare were fed up with or were not looking for that V30 fingerprint that seemed to be in all those cabs back then. Alternatives like the VHT P50E or the Soldano X12000. Those were marketed as intentionally deviating from the typical Celestion/V30 recipe.

Edit:
Btw. just don't believe anything this proven liar and thief writes and you're doing fine.
https://www.guitargearforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50945
VESmedic said:
Wow… another terrible sounding speaker, the p50e.
Just an irrelevant attention seeker.
VESmedic said:
VHT/Fryette 2:90:2, into a VHT/fryette Deliverance 4x12, because VHT/Fryette makes arguably the best tube power amp on the planet, and if you heard it, you would know why
VESmedic said:
I am a VHT fanatic
VESmedic said:
WITH FRYETTE CABINET :) miss my old ultralead

Last edited:
This is a very good analogy! I've played JB for years and thought they were great pickups before I went a completely different route for quite a while and then after going back to the JB I just couldn't stand them anymore.

Celestion moved majority of the production to China around that time but I don't think I've ever even had chinese Celestions let alone a '22 one so I could probably never really compare them. But there were already alternatives by other companies developed before Celestion moved production for those guitarists thare were fed up with or were not looking for that V30 fingerprint that seemed to be in all those cabs back then. Alternatives like the VHT P50E or the Soldano X12000.

Wow… another terrible sounding speaker, the p50e. I take it back. Please don’t contribute anymore.

Right?

I just recently bought a new v30 to replace one that went bad in my old mesa cab. Sounds about the same. Typical all midrange sound. Never had a v30 that had any high end, always a pretty dull sounding speaker.

I just recently bought a new v30 to replace one that went bad in my old mesa cab. Sounds about the same. Typical all midrange sound. Never had a v30 that had any high end, always a pretty dull sounding speaker.
Then you should check out the Marshall V30. Nothing dull about it.

Jake E Lee used them exclusively through Ozzy and the Badlands years and his tone is far from sterile...but he always played extremely loud and actually got the speakers moving. With that being said I tried the EVM12L's in my 4x12 with my Marshall's and they weren't pleasing to my ears as much as I love Jake tone with them. I couldn't pull them out fast enough... so on one hand Jake's tone is not sterile yet my tone was.........:dunno::yes:

Maybe not completely sterile I think my ears are just tuned to Celestion 12H-30's 75Hz and 55HZ these speakers never let me down and always deliver good tone. I'm sure there are many that can make a EVM12L sound glorious...I just wasn't one of them.

Then you should check out the Marshall V30. Nothing dull about it.
I have tried a couple. One in an old Jubilee combo…it was dull.
Is that what they put in the newer 4-12’s that have a vintage badge? If so, we had one in the store and it was horribly bright. Buddy has one he has had for probably ten years..it is pretty dull.

Is that what they put in the newer 4-12’s that have a vintage badge? If so, we had one in the store and it was horribly bright. Buddy has one he has had for probably ten years..it is pretty dull.
I don’t know what to tell you then. All of mine are almost 30 years old, crisp and sparkly, in a good way.

That was “probably” an 8 ohm Marshall vintage im guessing… the 16 will be much brighter.

Back