Your thoughts on the EVM12L

Achieving a classic rock sound with a classic amp is not going to happen with an EV, they’re a different beast.
While not having the jangly crunch of a low wattage (<30W) Celestion, with an open back cab, an EV12ML can sound plenty crunchy and characterful for classic rock.
It's actually the reason I sold a Mesa 1x12 cab (open back), because it was more on the classic rock side of the spectrum than my two Thiele cabs, but I was/am striving for something more allround, yet punchy enough for tight metal.

I agree that the EV12ML isn't the most exciting speaker in terms of character in a closed back cab, but they provide the necessary thump to make my little Mark V:25 punch above its weight.

Somewhat related, (since there was a polarizing shitstorm brewing in parallel in this thread...#midtermfrenzy much? :unsure: :p ) my 90's Mesa V30's are some of the finest speakers I have and they pair beautifully with vintage T75's and G12-65's. (y)

Haven't had them since the 80s...but loved them then.
Bullet proof. Consistent. Very linear,which was a major advantage for a touring bar band back then. Tour worthy for sure.
Now days there are so many choices for guitar speakers. Back then there wasn't.

If you use the EVM12L with any other speaker in a closed cab you can get very bad results. The reason being the throw of the EVM12L is so big it sucks back the other speakers. Causing very unusual sounds.

Basically if the cab is closed it needs to be in its own chamber or separate cab.

This only happens when you get loud enough. At low or medium volume this doesn't happen.

If you use the EVM12L with any other speaker in a closed cab you can get very bad results. The reason being the throw of the EVM12L is so big it sucks back the other speakers. Causing very unusual sounds.

Basically if the cab is closed it needs to be in its own chamber or separate cab.

This only happens when you get loud enough. At low or medium volume this doesn't happen.
Good observation. Mesa got it right with the halfback cabs as the bottom EV portion is sealed off from the upper half containing different speakers.

Good observation. Mesa got it right with the halfback cabs as the bottom EV portion is sealed off from the upper half containing different speakers.
I have a 80's Peavey cab that is a very similar cab. I usually prefer the top chamber closed also. It's my favorite 2x12.
Currently has a Mesa Vintage 30 top and G12K-85 bottom.

I have two EVM12L that haven't been in a cab in awhile.

I find a lot of 2x12 cabs can be woofy / boomy (whatever you want to call it. We all know this sound). But somehow not enough bass at the same time. Obviously there is a lot of factors in this within the entire rig.

I have a mesa metal grill 412 cab with MC90s in the top and EVs in the bottom. sounds great with whatever amp I put through it, very versatile in that respect. I used to run the top section closed, then open, now I have a panel with about 1/3 open and to me its the best of both worlds. I have this opinion that EVs need some volume to sound there best, but my 412 cab sounds great at all volumes.

A Drip edge fender bassman through a thiele 112 with an EV at band practice is still one of the best tones I have gotten.

I have a 80's Peavey cab that is a very similar cab. I usually prefer the top chamber closed also. It's my favorite 2x12.
Currently has a Mesa Vintage 30 top and G12K-85 bottom.

I have two EVM12L that haven't been in a cab in awhile.

I find a lot of 2x12 cabs can be woofy / boomy (whatever you want to call it. We all know this sound). But somehow not enough bass at the same time. Obviously there is a lot of factors in this within the entire rig.
I think that phenomenon happens when mixing M and H magnet Celestions in the same cab as well, though not to the same extent as when EVs are part of the blend. I believe it’s because the EV’s magnet mass (and sound dispersion throw) is quite a bit more than any Celestion, while the disparity between those factors between M & H Celestions is not as large.

It's been years since I heard one outside of a 1x12 Boogie cab - anyone running one in a quad box? (If I use this term enough it may just catch on, though I'm not optimistic).

It's a bit of a hassle to try as I have a spare 8Ω one in a sea of 16Ω cabs, but thought it might be a cool recording option or to at least shoot an IR.

Your experiences?

For what it’s worth, I just can’t get into the at all. I almost bought this cabinet that had 4 of them in it and a plexiglass back years ago. Can’t remember who made it, but I’m glad I didn’t looking back. They are just far too clean to me. Also, I’m going to state that again. To me. Because people forget that people are allowed to have different opinions.

Almost every high wattage speaker I’ve used just sounds too Incredibly clean to me. Im not a fan of very low wattage speakers either that get farty and fall apart either, but the super high output speakers to me just don’t have the push and slight distortion I like and get from lower wattage speakers like v30s, creambacks etc.

I have liked the EV for a long time because it is very true to the sound of your guitar, BUT you have to set said guitar AND amp up for the EV's. That includes electronics in the guitar, and preamp tubes and the 6L6/6CA7 combo in the MESA 2C+. The EV does not like a dive bomb on the 750 Hz EQ slider. I like the vintage style Celestions for a more Marshall-flavored amp.

Early ones by a country mile. For me anyway. They are like a V30/65 cross; fat sounding with none of the grating mids of a regular V30. The later 16 ohm version got much much brighter which is cool for metal but I prefer the earlier 8 ohm version for Hard Rock tones. Trouble is they are hard to find; either an 87 Jubilee cab or a 800 cab with a 280w sticker
This is the truth. Those old Marshall V30’s sound killer. I don’t understand why Celestion doesn’t capitalize on this and offer this version more readily.

I have liked the EV for a long time because it is very true to the sound of your guitar, BUT you have to set said guitar AND amp up for the EV's. That includes electronics in the guitar, and preamp tubes and the 6L6/6CA7 combo in the MESA 2C+. The EV does not like a dive bomb on the 750 Hz EQ slider. I like the vintage style Celestions for a more Marshall-flavored amp.
That's basically the point with any piece of equipment. If you're listening with your eyes instead of your ears the results won't be worth writing home about.

Back