Your thoughts on the EVM12L

When anybody says “V30” my first thought is “Which one and what year?” Those speakers have varied a ton over the years and between Marshall/Mesa/Celestion/Orange/etc. I know I’ve had some that I thought sounded great and others that were an instant fuck no.

IMO the EV12L has its place. It’s at the other end of the ‘great sounding’ spectrum as a Greenback. Greenbacks are colored and seem to add blur and crunch. EV12Ls are neutral and seem to add detail. Ask too much of a Greenback and it caves but an EV12L keeps on giving more.

Never gets mentioned but I kind of like having the terminals like that. Easy peasy and I’ve never had a problem.

I don’t know what to tell you then. All of mine are almost 30 years old, crisp and sparkly, in a good way.
“I don’t know what to tell you then”
?????????????? WTF ?

Can anyone have a different opinion than you?

You have lost all your credibility to post about opinions on gear. Go back to your soap opera thread and continue to embarrass yourself.

I don’t know what to tell you then. All of mine are almost 30 years old, crisp and sparkly, in a good way.
This Mesa OS cab I have is from the 90’s. It records well but it is on the dull side. Bought some V30’s in the 2000’s and they were very nasal at first. Then after breaking in they were very dull.
This new v30 is not bright, have to pair it with a redback to get some highs and lows.

I am just not a v30 person.

?????????????? WTF ?

You have lost all your credibility to post about opinions on gear. Go back to your soap opera thread and continue to embarrass yourself.

LMAO hahahahahah…. Fuck you @thegame …. What a piece of shit…. Hope you get railed by the next guy that rips you off for being an asshole!!!

That was “probably” an 8 ohm Marshall vintage im guessing… the 16 will be much brighter.
The 4-12’s were both 16 ohm. One horrbly bright, friends is very dull.
That Jubilee was when they first came out around 90 I guess. 50 watt 1-12 combo. I think it was 16 ohm but for sure vintage 30 is what the speaker said.

This Mesa OS cab I have is from the 90’s. It records well but it is on the dull side. Bought some V30’s in the 2000’s and they were very nasal at first. Then after breaking in they were very dull.
This new v30 is not bright, have to pair it with a redback to get some highs and lows.

I am just not a v30 person.
I had a Mesa OS cab from the 90’s also. I took the V30’s out and put in G12H30 anniversary speakers and it was a vast improvement to my ears. The low end from those OS cabs is awesome.

Regarding the OP, the EV that I had in my 2C+ combo I hated. That was my only experience with one, but it wasn’t my cup of tea. I’m sure a proper 4x12 loaded would be a different experience.

I had a Mesa OS cab from the 90’s also. I took the V30’s out and put in G12H30 anniversary speakers and it was a vast improvement to my ears. The low end from those OS cabs is awesome.

Regarding the OP, the EV that I had in my 2C+ combo I hated. That was my only experience with one, but it wasn’t my cup of tea. I’m sure a proper 4x12 loaded would be a different experience.
Yes when I run my Triple thru it the bass knob is on zero. No need for that much bass…

also have a Mesa 1-12 semi open back with EV12 in it, the 200 watt version. It sounds pretty good, no speaker distortion or loose bass. I can’t imagine 4 in a cabinet…not gonna wanna lift that!

The 4-12’s were both 16 ohm. One horrbly bright, friends is very dull.
That Jubilee was when they first came out around 90 I guess. 50 watt 1-12 combo. I think it was 16 ohm but for sure vintage 30 is what the speaker said.
Then it was a straight up Celestion V30, not the Marshall OEM Vintage. The Marshall OEM doesn't have a 30 on the sticker. Jubilee came out in 87; they made them in Black tolex in 88/89. The 80s Marshall Vintages were mostly 8 ohm; and are more like a 65 to my ears. AFAIK they stopped making the 8 ohm version in 1990; only 16 ohm after and they were MUCH brighter. Night and day difference between the first Marshall Vintage 8 ohm vs the 1991 or newer 16 ohm.

Then it was a straight up Celestion V30, not the Marshall OEM Vintage. The Marshall OEM doesn't have a 30 on the sticker. Jubilee came out in 87; they made them in Black tolex in 88/89. The 80s Marshall Vintages were mostly 8 ohm; and are more like a 65 to my ears. AFAIK they stopped making the 8 ohm version in 1990; only 16 ohm after and they were MUCH brighter. Night and day difference between the first Marshall Vintage 8 ohm vs the 1991 or newer 16 ohm.
I’ve never owned the Marshall OEM Vintage. Would you recommend the early ones vs the later?

I’ve never owned the Marshall OEM Vintage. Would you recommend the early ones vs the later?
Early ones by a country mile. For me anyway. They are like a V30/65 cross; fat sounding with none of the grating mids of a regular V30. The later 16 ohm version got much much brighter which is cool for metal but I prefer the earlier 8 ohm version for Hard Rock tones. Trouble is they are hard to find; either an 87 Jubilee cab or a 800 cab with a 280w sticker

Yes the Jubilee combo was for sure a vintage 30.

These newer Vintage cabs, the dull one is about ten years old, the bright one newer than that.

Personally I believe different speakers react differently with different amps.
Not all speakers work great on all amps.
I do not care for gt75 but with my Vai legacy head they sounded great to me.
But that is a dark Amp and I believe the gt75's made it liven up a bit.
As far as v30's go I have a mid 90's bogner slant cab with all v30's and it kills !
I do find the evm12l to be one of the most neutral speakers I have played.

I’ve only tried them in Mesa’s Thiele cabs.

To me , most Celestions either add their own breakup to the amps breakup or shift the eq to change the character of said breakup.
With that said, the character of Celestion eq shift or breakup is what rock n roll sounds like to most of us.

The CL80 would be Celestion’s most EV like speaker though it sounds much thinner to me.

With most amps I like the 12L with clean to mild breakup. You can clearly make out the nuances in playing and hear the natural chime of the guitar without it being overbearing.

High gain is another thing , for amps that can be extremely saturated, ie Diezel , Bogner .. I appreciate the clarity the 12L adds , it completely holds together while still sounding very full. These amps have their own 3-D thing going on in the preamp when you add a speaker like the Celestion Greeback it can sound overcooked, with way too much going on.

Achieving a classic rock sound with a classic amp is not going to happen with an EV, they’re a different beast.

If I could only have one speaker it would be the EV12L.

?????????????? WTF ?

I go way back with Greazygeo. He knows no insults were intended. We’ve always cordially disagreed on the merits of V30s.

Back