Youtube trolls...

GregM

I got this comment this morning from the account of an online music magazine (whose Youtube channel consists of bootleg cellphone videos of concerts)

Don’t try and top perfection! Why not actually do something original and write/perform your own songs! Nothing like redoing something that was done great the first time! It’s insulting to the true AiC fans. No fanfare here for trying to cover a song that doesn’t need to be redone(thumbs down, middle finger emojis)

I get that covers aren't for everybody but if this guy's on an anti-cover crusade on Youtube he's got a hell of a lot of work to do.

I just got this one yesterday:

"What would anybody want to copy somebody else? Not only will that kill a career, but it's embarrassing as hell."
All you can do is laugh, got love the haters :LOL: :LOL:

Douchebags will be douchebags.

I personally like to hear covers of songs I like, and I'm a huge AiC fan.

ZEEGLER":2vgcn50n said:
Douchebags will be douchebags.

I personally like to hear covers of songs I like, and I'm a huge AiC fan.

For me it depends on the cover. Usually I do not like them.

I remember someone posting on here a while back about some female singer who is some youtube phenomenon who does covers. She did a pantera song and it was absolutely horrible.

I can see where the commenter is coming from. Maybe OP's cover was not horrible and maybe said commenter was a bit harsh but yeah. You could have ruined his favorite song :LOL: :LOL: but do your thing.

The one cover I really liked is Bad Wolves version of Zombie and Nirvana man who and pretty much all Johnny Cash covers.

Edit: there is nothing wrong with doing covers and it is actually good to learn your favorite songs by other artists IMO. Hell some people make a great living from it but I would expect all types of criticism online. Not everyone is going to like it.

Stradazone":3hj710ko said:
I just got this one yesterday:

"What would anybody want to copy somebody else? Not only will that kill a career, but it's embarrassing as hell."
All you can do is laugh, got love the haters :LOL: :LOL:

Such a touchy subject and I know this has been debated 1,000's of times. TBH I am split down the middle but would probably lean towards the hater side of things as I have had music stolen from me and have seen countless bands blatantly copy others.

I disagree that it is a "career killer" as there have been bands who's sole reason for ever having a "career" was from a badass cover song. Yeah, as long as you are paying your royalties or whatever legal obligations there may or may not be it is ok, by law. BUT there will always be opinions and at the end of the day you are copying another artists work.

Now that is completely different than blatantly stealing another artists work and claiming it as your own and I understand that. That is why I am in the middle and do not care, and as I previously said I actually like some covers. But like it or hate it there will always be a few people who do not like it and are free to comment their feelings as you were free to post a cover song on youtube.

GregM":3uxjmga6 said:
I got this comment this morning from the account of an online music magazine (whose Youtube channel consists of bootleg cellphone videos of concerts)

Don’t try and top perfection! Why not actually do something original and write/perform your own songs! Nothing like redoing something that was done great the first time! It’s insulting to the true AiC fans. No fanfare here for trying to cover a song that doesn’t need to be redone(thumbs down, middle finger emojis)

I get that covers aren't for everybody but if this guy's on an anti-cover crusade on Youtube he's got a hell of a lot of work to do.

This coming from an armchair Youtuber zealot that probably couldn't tunafish with no musical ability. I enjoy all your covers that you do and appreciate the talent that you have, screw the haters!!!!! :thumbsup:

Seriously that guy's personal life must suck and he probably is just jealous of you or your gear.

As a AiC super fanboi and I probably had the first ever Layne Staley tribute channel on Youtube back in 06-07 I love your videos and they inspire me to improve my playing and AiC covers. I got to admit I still haven't had the balls to put a cover of me playing up but I will soon and your videos always inspired me to hurry up and get off my ass and post mine. Also I would never be able to do all the parts especially the drums like you do.

I hope my positive comment negates that haters. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words! I don't put anything up unless I'm confident I've done the song justice.

maddnotez":29b6ztm8 said:
Such a touchy subject and I know this has been debated 1,000's of times. TBH I am split down the middle but would probably lean towards the hater side of things as I have had music stolen from me and have seen countless bands blatantly copy others.

Now that is completely different than blatantly stealing another artists work and claiming it as your own and I understand that.

Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but what you say here makes me think of this story that I stumbled upon last night. I wonder how often musical theft happens, and we never even know it. (Not saying that playing covers is musical theft.)

This excerpt is from this site: http://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/murder.html

‘Clayton Perkins
(Lloyd Clayton Perkings), suicide. Member of the Perkins Brothers (which included Jay and Carl). In 1956, while on their way to perform Carl's composition, "Blue Sude Shoes" on "The Perry Como Show," the driver of their vehicle fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into a pickup truck. Sidelined, the brothers watched as Elvis Presley (see 1977), hijacked the single (simultaneously bolstering his phenomenal career). Jay suffered a fractured neck and internal injuries and continued to suffer the consequences of his injuries, finally succumbing in 1958. Clayton never recovered from the loss of his brother, and when Carl decided to continue in the music business alone, Clayton fell to alcoholism. On Chritsmas Day of 1973, Clayton was found in dead in his bed at the age of 38. He had shot himself with a .22-calibre pistol. (Carl died of throat cancer in 1998 at the age of 65.)’

Mr. Willy":3pg4wyic said:
maddnotez":3pg4wyic said:

Now that is completely different than blatantly stealing another artists work and claiming it as your own and I understand that.

Not trying to sidetrack the thread, but what you say here makes me think of this story that I stumbled upon last night. I wonder how often musical theft happens, and we never even know it. (Not saying that playing covers is musical theft.)

This excerpt is from this site: http://www.angelfire.com/music5/archives/murder.html

‘Clayton Perkins
(Lloyd Clayton Perkings), suicide. Member of the Perkins Brothers (which included Jay and Carl). In 1956, while on their way to perform Carl's composition, "Blue Sude Shoes" on "The Perry Como Show," the driver of their vehicle fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into a pickup truck. Sidelined, the brothers watched as Elvis Presley (see 1977), hijacked the single (simultaneously bolstering his phenomenal career). Jay suffered a fractured neck and internal injuries and continued to suffer the consequences of his injuries, finally succumbing in 1958. Clayton never recovered from the loss of his brother, and when Carl decided to continue in the music business alone, Clayton fell to alcoholism. On Chritsmas Day of 1973, Clayton was found in dead in his bed at the age of 38. He had shot himself with a .22-calibre pistol. (Carl died of throat cancer in 1998 at the age of 65.)’

Before I comment I want to confirm lol : "Not saying that playing covers is musical theft" that is not what I was saying previously but anyway...

Wow that is a crazy story. I want to see the rest, what did Carl think about his song being stolen? Was it perhaps sold to Elvis company? Was there a lawsuit?

Not surprising and makes you wonder. I am sure it has happened a lot.

I wish I could site this but I cannot because I never cared to document the info but there is a big section of a Nile song that is 100% stolen from a classical piece that I heard on the radio. Note for note, undeniably stolen. In that case, if I am not mistaken there is actually a time frame for stealing music which is sad. I remember reading something that stated this so basically if the music is old enough, like some early classical. you can basically steal it, use it and claim it as your own. Not cool.

I also spoke with a client at work who claimed he was going to be paid a huge settlement as he was fighting the band Bon Jovi for stealing a song of his. At the time I was thinking yeah, ok buddy but it interested me enough to look it up and sure enough the guy was suing Bon Jovi and company for $400B dollars. The case was eventually dismissed but there were similarities and the guy was literally so dead set that they stole his song (and given his exposure it was possible they could have heard it and stole it) that he was either correct or completely insane looney tune.

Being in a tribute band I see this shit all the time. For every 100 nice comments we get there is 1 or 2 fuck off's or do your own thing bullshit. Can't please everybody. Use to bother me at first and I would reply. Now, I don't worry about it. I'll do what makes me happy you do you asshole.

maddnotez":3g5vlebg said:
Mr. Willy":3g5vlebg said:
maddnotez":3g5vlebg said:

‘Clayton Perkins

Before I comment I want to confirm lol : "Not saying that playing covers is musical theft" that is not what I was saying previously but anyway...

Wow that is a crazy story. I want to see the rest, what did Carl think about his song being stolen? Was it perhaps sold to Elvis company? Was there a lawsuit?

I wish I could site this but I cannot because I never cared to document the info but there is a big section of a Nile song that is 100% stolen from a classical piece that I heard on the radio. Note for note, undeniably stolen. In that case, if I am not mistaken there is actually a time frame for stealing music which is sad. I remember reading something that stated this so basically if the music is old enough, like some early classical. you can basically steal it, use it and claim it as your own. Not cool.

I also spoke with a client at work who claimed he was going to be paid a huge settlement as he was fighting the band Bon Jovi for stealing a song of his. At the time I was thinking yeah, ok buddy but it interested me enough to look it up and sure enough the guy was suing Bon Jovi and company for $400B dollars. The case was eventually dismissed but there were similarities and the guy was literally so dead set that they stole his song (and given his exposure it was possible they could have heard it and stole it) that he was either correct or completely insane looney tune.

That “Not saying covers is theft” wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular. I was just trying to loosely connect my post within the original context of the thread.

Anyway, I went and read more about Carl Perkins. Seems claiming Presley stole the song is a bit of a stretch as there’s more to the story. Kinda long, but you can read here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Perkins

Speaking of sad musician stories, how about Doug Hopkins from the Gin Blossoms. He wrote those songs that made them famous. They kicked him out of the band before that album with those songs on it took off. He had to watch from the sidelines as they got famous playing songs he’d written.

From Wikipedia:
“Hopkins' writing credits included the hits "Hey Jealousy", "Found Out About You", "Hold Me Down", and "Lost Horizons". His penchant for somber lyrics, matched with catchy guitar hooks and notable melodies, underscored his memorable style. Hopkins had suffered from chronic depression since childhood and had been battling alcoholism for several years. However, in 1990, the Gin Blossoms were one of the hottest local bands in Tempe and the surrounding areas, and they signed a contract with A&M Records.

He was resistant to signing to a major label, feeling like its property, and reacted with stubbornness and more drinking. When the band recorded its second studio album New Miserable Experience in February 1992, it was reported that Hopkins was unable to stand during his recording sessions. Faced with the prospect of firing Hopkins or being dropped by A&M, the band terminated Hopkins. Doused in aftershave and mouthwash to cover the effects of his days-long drinking binge, he was flown back to Arizona.

He was replaced by Scott Johnson. The band then withheld $15,000 owed to Hopkins until he agreed to sign over half of his publishing royalties. Hopkins was also required to relinquish his mechanical royalties to Johnson, his replacement. Hopkins reluctantly agreed to these demands because of his dire financial situation.While New Miserable Experience did not make a strong debut, it went on to become a multi-platinum album.

As the Gin Blossoms experienced mounting success performing songs he had written, Hopkins became increasingly despondent. Although he had always dreamed of having a gold record, when he received one (for the song "Hey Jealousy"), he hung it up for two weeks before taking it down and then destroying it. Nine days later, during an intake consultation in the detox unit of Phoenix's St. Luke's Hospital, Hopkins snuck out and bought a .38 caliber pistol. The next day, December 5, 1993, Hopkins committed suicide.”

Not necessarily theft, but man. How heartbreaking would it be to watch your old band get rich and famous off songs you’d written while you’re on the sidelines? Granted, he had his issues, but still. Heartbreaking.

Mr. Willy":mtquj237 said:
maddnotez":mtquj237 said:
Mr. Willy":mtquj237 said:
maddnotez":mtquj237 said:

‘Clayton Perkins

That “Not saying covers is theft” wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular. I was just trying to loosely connect my post within the original context of the thread.

Anyway, I went and read more about Carl Perkins. Seems claiming Presley stole the song is a bit of a stretch as there’s more to the story. Kinda long, but you can read here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Perkins

Speaking of sad musician stories, how about Doug Hopkins from the Gin Blossoms. He wrote those songs that made them famous. They kicked him out of the band before that album with those songs on it took off. He had to watch from the sidelines as they got famous playing songs he’d written.

From Wikipedia:
“Hopkins' writing credits included the hits "Hey Jealousy", "Found Out About You", "Hold Me Down", and "Lost Horizons". His penchant for somber lyrics, matched with catchy guitar hooks and notable melodies, underscored his memorable style. Hopkins had suffered from chronic depression since childhood and had been battling alcoholism for several years. However, in 1990, the Gin Blossoms were one of the hottest local bands in Tempe and the surrounding areas, and they signed a contract with A&M Records.

He was resistant to signing to a major label, feeling like its property, and reacted with stubbornness and more drinking. When the band recorded its second studio album New Miserable Experience in February 1992, it was reported that Hopkins was unable to stand during his recording sessions. Faced with the prospect of firing Hopkins or being dropped by A&M, the band terminated Hopkins. Doused in aftershave and mouthwash to cover the effects of his days-long drinking binge, he was flown back to Arizona.

He was replaced by Scott Johnson. The band then withheld $15,000 owed to Hopkins until he agreed to sign over half of his publishing royalties. Hopkins was also required to relinquish his mechanical royalties to Johnson, his replacement. Hopkins reluctantly agreed to these demands because of his dire financial situation.While New Miserable Experience did not make a strong debut, it went on to become a multi-platinum album.

As the Gin Blossoms experienced mounting success performing songs he had written, Hopkins became increasingly despondent. Although he had always dreamed of having a gold record, when he received one (for the song "Hey Jealousy"), he hung it up for two weeks before taking it down and then destroying it. Nine days later, during an intake consultation in the detox unit of Phoenix's St. Luke's Hospital, Hopkins snuck out and bought a .38 caliber pistol. The next day, December 5, 1993, Hopkins committed suicide.”

Not necessarily theft, but man. How heartbreaking would it be to watch your old band get rich and famous off songs you’d written while you’re on the sidelines? Granted, he had his issues, but still. Heartbreaking.

Wow that is horrible. They now have to live with his suicide everyday and hopefully it haunts them.

Now, I understand their position. They kind of had to fire him. I also do not know the situation, as it was probably the label but basically Suge Knighting him into giving up his royalties. He definitely should have fought that. If that part was the band and not the label then shame on them.

About Carl Perkins. I guess it ties this thread altogether.

I did not read the whole thing, only skimmed but it seemed Elvis did a cover of Carl's song on live TV. They did shows together, etc. etc.

Back