Diezel VH4 changes over the years

Louder

Hello!

I was wondering if there have been any changes to the VH4 over the years? I a, looking at buying a 2007 VH4 and wanted to see if there have been any changes compared to a new 2012 amp.

Thanks!

- Paul

Here is a reply from Peter from an inquiry I had sent him some time ago before I bought my 2007...

"Hello there,

we made small changes over the years,
but nothing dramatic."

Best,
Peter"

please delete the signature with email etc. it's bad to post it like that because el. spam-agents will search the internet to gather email adresses for spam.

Louder":1yw4g3cl said:
Hello!

I was wondering if there have been any changes to the VH4 over the years? I a, looking at buying a 2007 VH4 and wanted to see if there have been any changes compared to a new 2012 amp.

Thanks!

- Paul
[Changes] Mostly gain structures and compression. Further to this, the original was the Blueface, a 6L6 format circuit, then came the Silverface, with a bias switch to incorporate both 6L6 and EL34. Outside of some caps and resistors (I'm assuming), this is it. Personally, I like the latest iteration of the VH4 as its Channel 3 is noticeably different than the earlier version. As is 4, and I think, unless I'm tone deaf 1 is slightly crisper and 2 a little more gritty. Could be wrong. But overall, it seems as though the later version offer more "more" if that makes any sense.

Uncle

Haven't played a '12, but I owned an '07 and played an '11 (and I currently own a '98, but that seems unimportant to your question). The '11 seemed more dynamic (even Channel four cleaned up with the guitar's volume knob and soft picking). But very very similar. Difference get more apparent wih some of the older amps (bluefaces).

Thanks for the info. I am going to pull the trigger on a 2007 Silverface with Diezel 4x12!! Sould have it Monday!!

Ventura":3k7mgmyk said:
Peter Diezel":3k7mgmyk said:
Please let me know when you love it

Fixed that for you Sir.

Uncle Mo

PS - best to Young Max and Sawaki ;)

There NOW it's fixed. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure we'll see that post around Monday or Tuesday. Depending on if he can pry himself from the amp long enough to make a post.

Peter Diezel":1zrogn5z said:
Please let me know if you like it

I got it a day early! All I can say is: WOW. This amp is a monster! I really cannot believe the amount of gain the amp has and how tight it sounds. I only got to play it for about an hour so far, but here are my first impressions:

The VH4 did not seem to like being paired with the M75 loaded Orange PPC412 I have. I found it to be really dark sounding and overall just kind of wrong (to my ears of course). But as soon as I plugged it into my Mesa Boogie 4x12 (oversize) the VH4 came to life!

Of the four channels, channel three was my favorite (no surprise there from what I have read on the forum). Channel two was very cool, it definitely surprised me and I found myself switching back to it and really loving it for chords and bluesy riffs. Channel two was very clear as well, you could really hear every note in the chord, it was great for Van Halen! Channel four was just insane - I could not believe the amount of gain available making pinch harmonics and Floyd tricks really sing. Channel one was interesting, I don't think I would use it for cleans, I found it sounded good with my big box Clark Gainster and a Tube Screamer when I had the channel gain near max, but I don't see me using it much.

I was wondering when I bought it if it would lead me to sell my CAA PT100. After playing the VH4 I plugged into the PT and it really had a different feel and sound. I love the PT100 and it is not going anywhere. I am very happy to be able to own both, the VH4 is really its own world and very different to the point that I can easily justify owning both.

In short the VH4 lived up to everything people are saying. It is a MONSTER amp with unreal gain and it is so tight and focused that I'm going to have to up my practicing!

PETER YOU ARE A GOD!!!!!!

Here is family photo with the VH4:

photo-5.jpg

Please tell me the serial number of the amp and
maybe we can get some more presence and less
compression out of it.

Peter Diezel":3lzcg4d9 said:
compression out of it.

To be honest, I wouldn't want change a thing about the amp. It kills! But I can forward you the serial number.

Louder":2bhmu28c said:
Hello!

I was wondering if there have been any changes to the VH4 over the years? - Paul
Yo Louder, you do know what the "VH" stands for in front of the "4", right?

It's kind of similar to what "ESX" stands for following "VMware".

Louder":vt3pp4zo said:
Peter Diezel":vt3pp4zo said:
compression out of it.

To be honest, I wouldn't want change a thing about the amp. It kills! But I can forward you the serial number.
Super stoked for you Louder - this is great news... What is the Mesa loaded with, V30s? Great stuff - and don't forget about the loop in the VH4, it's one of if not the best in the industry. Takes everything nicely, especially a delay or 'verb to fatten up solo playing.

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

King Crimson":cjgalvjb said:
Louder":cjgalvjb said:
Hello!

I was wondering if there have been any changes to the VH4 over the years? - Paul
Yo Louder, you do know what the "VH" stands for in front of the "4", right?

It's kind of similar to what "ESX" stands for following "VMware".

Well the "ES" is Elastic Sky, not sure what you're getting at?

Ventura":34ltvb38 said:
Louder":34ltvb38 said:
Peter Diezel":34ltvb38 said:
compression out of it.

Super stoked for you Louder - this is great news... What is the Mesa loaded with, V30s? Great stuff - and don't forget about the loop in the VH4, it's one of if not the best in the industry. Takes everything nicely, especially a delay or 'verb to fatten up solo playing.

Thanks! The Mesa does have V30's and I may add a Diezel cab in the near future if I can make the finances work. I use a Dr Scientist RRR in the loop on the plate setting and it sounds awesome. I use it for my PT100 as well. I am thinking of getting a Wet Reverb for the VH4, I definitely like a touch of 'verb.

Louder":1owhkiqz said:
Ventura":1owhkiqz said:
Louder":1owhkiqz said:
Peter Diezel":1owhkiqz said:
compression out of it.

Thanks! The Mesa does have V30's and I may add a Diezel cab in the near future if I can make the finances work. I use a Dr Scientist RRR in the loop on the plate setting and it sounds awesome. I use it for my PT100 as well. I am thinking of getting a Wet Reverb for the VH4, I definitely like a touch of 'verb.
You'll find the loop on the VH4 incredible - totally dead silent and perfect for reverb and DD, or AD. The V mics super well too - just need to lay off the gain when close mic'ing. What's it loaded with as far as power tubes? EL34s? And stock high grade chinese 12AX7 preamps? Just checking - I've run the gamut of different glass in my Diezels and usually fall back on the usual suspects.

Keep at 'er, and again, super stoked for ya!! :thumbsup: :rock:

Uncle Mo

Back