Setting up the Herbert with Xpression and MF-2 footswitch

stinkfist

Hi guys, I just got my Mf-2 and Rocktron Xpression and Im a total noob with midi and setting it up. What I have done so far.

I have a cable going from the Switchable loop send -----> Xpression Input R-mono. A cable from the parrallel loop return -----> output R on the xpression. Not sure if this is right or not?

The MF-2 has the midi out into the herbert midin in and another midi cable from the herbert midi through to the xpression midi in. I do have phantom power so thats good.

Now for the noob questions...

1. Do any of you guys have experience setting up the mf-2 with an Xpression? Again Im a noob and Im trying to go through the manuals but at this point Im overwhelmed and have no idea what im doing :doh:

2. What is the best thing to do to understand this and set it up the best way? Do I have to read all of the manuals to understand this. Even if I do a lot of it is greek to me.

I don't even know if Im asking the correct questions.

Any help or ideas would be great it seems a lot of you guys have a lot of experience with this type of thing and wanted to know the best (easiest) way to set this up.

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

I'm not sure I even have the omni mode set up right. The manual says to hold the "mute" switch down and activate the master 2 switch quickly and then release the mute switch. When I hold the mute switch down the midcut, master2 loop and store lamps stay lit but they don't blink like the manual states. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for your help. Again when i hold the mute down now all the lamps stay lit, does that mean its in omni mode?

:doh:

I'm gonna make a video - hopefully this weekend - where I explain how my setup works, which is: guitar -> Herbert with Columbus on the XLR and Xpression in the loop -> cab.

Maybe that will help you...it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

scottph":1c9166cu said:
I'm gonna make a video - hopefully this weekend - where I explain how my setup works, which is: guitar -> Herbert with Columbus on the XLR and Xpression in the loop -> cab.

Maybe that will help you...it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

This would be a great help. Please let me(us) know when you have it ready. I'm sure it's easy once you do it a few times, it's getting past the manual and learning how to apply it correctly that has me stuck.

Not sure about the omni-mode - I did my setup for omni when I got my Columbus which was over a year ago, but if I remember correctly Herbert is by default in omni.

scottph":34btfqfz said:
Not sure about the omni-mode - I did my setup for omni when I got my Columbus which was over a year ago, but if I remember correctly Herbert is by default in omni.

yes default is Omni i see.

on the manual there are those instructions either to put on Omni and so Mood mode.
hold on the mute, push V2, release it then release mute too.

diezel&gas":wj4j5t8u said:
scottph":wj4j5t8u said:

yes default is Omni i see.

on the manual there are those instructions either to put on Omni and so Mood mode.
hold on the mute, push V2, release it then release mute too.

That's what I did and nothing started flashing but when I hold the mute down again. The mid cut, v2, loop, mute and store lamps stay on. So I'm asuming that its telling me that it is in Omni mode because those lamps are on?

scottph":26594k6q said:
I'll try to get it uploaded by saturday man - will post the link here once it's done. :)

Until you get the vid ready for me did I at least set up the connections correctly for the audio. Here is what I have done and only used 2 cables.

have 1 cable going from the Switchable loop send Herbert -----> Xpression Input R-mono. A cable from the parrallel loop return Herbert -----> output R on the xpression.

some of the diagrams for the Xpression have another cable coming from the output (L) back into the AMP, do I need this as well?

I'm sure this will all be in your Vid so no worries.

thanks for your help! :rock:

Yeah I did. What I prefer about the Xpression is that it doesn't taint the tone of the Herbert since it only colors the original signal without adding any ie distortion to it. :)

Oh yeah, it has pretty much everything you could want like Chorus, Flanger, Reverb, Delay, Hush, Mixer, EQ, Tremolo, Phaser, Pitch shift, etc.

scottph":1eq8r8vk said:
Alright. I made two short vids on how I set up my Herbert with the Rocktron Xpression and the Columbus footswitch, as requested.

Sorry for the shaky vids. :(

Anyhow, the first vid is in english, the second one in german:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyYDW9DTmWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCCLudzfhOk

ScottPH! Great Videos, thanks for doing that. Would you be able to do a another one showing how you create and save your patches using the foot switch, Herbert and Xpression? It seams like you have to edit the existing patches on the Xpression and save them as a new patch?

The way you have it set up you need to have the switchable loop engaged to hear the effects correct? If so then all of your patches will need to include the loop switch(on) and saved that way. My biggest learning curve is figuring out how to use the MF2 with the Herbert and Xpression to create the patches or sounds I want.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this, you have helped a lot. I hope to return the favor at some point :D

Have you ever used a Mf-2 footswitch?

Back