Setting up the Herbert with Xpression and MF-2 footswitch

some say it's too noisy..they say it makes clipping noises at stage volumes...
then they say it eats and dirts the signal :( and that's what i really don't want.

other say it's better to get a g major...

you told me it's better this than the g major.
right?

It doesn't "eat" the signal at all. The concept of the Xpression is to add the effect to the original amp sound. It doesn't even provide it's own distortion - it doesn't have one. All it does is add a desired effect.
I can't comment on stage volume, but it's just fine for anything below 12 o'clock in my opinion. I don't really know how it would add clipping noises at higher volumes (besides the fact that 12 o'clock is beyond ridiculously loud), as it's concept is just to add an effect and not to change the tone...maybe someone else can chime in if they've played an Xpression with a Herbert at above 12?
The G-Major adds it's own sounds afai remember - it changes the tone quite a bit, and it sucks tone. I thought the Herbert didn't sound like a Herbert anymore with the G-Major.

another midi question for you scotthph :)

you use the Columbus, an it is plugged into the herbert by XL, ok.

i use the Nobels Mf1 powered by phantom power of the Herbert ( Midi In of the Herbert into the Midi Out of the Mf1 )

using the Xpression where should i connect midi cable? Midi Thru of the Herbert onto the Midi In of the Rocktron Xpression? right?

is it possilbe to power both MF1 and Xpression by phantom power from the Herbert??

form the xpression manual i see it could power by pahntom power the mf1.
but, can i power by phantom power the Xpression that lately will power by phantom power the Mf1?

Not sure man - you're gonna have to try it. The Herbert and the Xpression should (can) be hooked up like I said in the vids. The Herbert gives phantom power thru the XLR to the Columbus, but it does not have a phantom power plug like the Xpression has, so I'm pretty sure you can't power the Xpression with the Herbert.

scottph":2uq0hpa5 said:
Not sure man - you're gonna have to try it. The Herbert and the Xpression should (can) be hooked up like I said in the vids. The Herbert gives phantom power thru the XLR to the Columbus, but it does not have a phantom power plug like the Xpression has, so I'm pretty sure you can't power the Xpression with the Herbert.

The way I have mine hooked up is like this. I have the midi out from the MF-2 into the midi in on the Herbert, then I connect a midi cable from the midi through on the Herbert to the Midi in on the Xpression. The MF-2 is phantom powered by the Herbert. So far so go, Scott's vids are spot on.

yes i guess that is the set up to follow.

i tought the Xpression coull be powered on by P phower, but it needs its own AC adaptor.
ok
problem solved :)
thanx :) :thumbsup:

hello scottph, fdo you know if it is possible with the Xpression to do a whammy effect using a volume pedal? how ?
just to know it.. i'm not a big fan of the whammy effect :p

i mean, using the pitch shifter for example 2 otctave down, is it possible thru a volume pedal to raise and lower the pitch like you could do with a whammy pedal? :thumbsup:

diezel&gas":2tsh71k1 said:
i mean, using the pitch shifter for example 2 otctave down, is it possible thru a volume pedal to raise and lower the pitch like you could do with a whammy pedal? :thumbsup:

I need to figure out how to use my whammy with the MF-2 hehe :rock:

diezel&gas":3qy3m8m6 said:
i guess you can with no problems at all :)
the mf1 can't.

you have 4 relays.

Yeah I think I can even power the pedals from the MF-2 but I could be wrong. I have to check it out.

for scottph:

are there any other ways to plug the Xpression on the Herbert, switchable loop apart?
is this mode the best to preserve the sound of the amp?

then, do you have to correct the the input and output settings of the Xpression, raising the volume of the amp? are the volume levels ready playing it at home volumes and to rehearsal volumes or an adjustment is needed?

thanx!

I have the input level at 12:00 and the output level at 13:00 on the Xpression.

I guess you could put it in any loop if you wanted to, but the combination I use is the best for me.

do you hear any noise when activating a midi preset, switching from the total dry amp sound to the loop&Xpression effected signal on?

ok thanx!

i'll see what happen on mine when it'll arrive.

it has less option than the g-major but i care the most to preserve the original sound of the amp ;)

i hope to find a right toy :p

Realistically you probably don't need all the options the Xpression comes with, let alone the G-Major. I use about three different effets, and if I feel really adventurous I'll use seven at the most. Delay with lead, reverb with rythm, maybe some flanger for shits and giggles, chorus for cleans, and that's about it. Sometimes I use some effects on ch. 2 - - try "Rock God" - it's pretty neat. :)

Back