CCV Bias why so high?

rokker

I wonder why CCV's are biased sooo high. Like 50ma or higher?
Is it because the Primary impedence is around 3.4 which would allow higher biasing than the 70% dissipation rule would indicate?

I am very interested to know if Brad, Dave F., Mark C. Or anyone else who may know would let me know i would appreciate it. I lowered it to 34 to be safe until i learn more about this.
If there is no reason for it why bias so high? Just trying to better understand this.
Thanks

From Marks mouth directly:

"I set the Bias hot because it sounds best to me. I designed the amp to run a hot bias on high power and that contributes to the tone I like. I have had no problems with premature tube failure with the hotter settings"

I lowered mine just a little bit yesterday and swapped some preamp tubes. I put a Sovtek LPS in v1, Ruby Chinese C5+ in v2/v3, C5 in v4 and a Penta Labs 12ax7B in the PI. I'm gonna order a quad of SEDs soon to try those out for the power amp.

snapped a naked picture...

dc51af57.jpg

mhenson42":ko5m9puv said:
I lowered mine just a little bit yesterday and swapped some preamp tubes. I put a Sovtek LPS in v1, Ruby Chinese C5+ in v2/v3, C5 in v4 and a Penta Labs 12ax7B in the PI. I'm gonna order a quad of SEDs soon to try those out for the power amp.

snapped a naked picture...

dc51af57.jpg

nice almost there... get some winged c's in there now....

PS - ive always ran my ccv around 40 - 45 mv .... hotter does sound better. never had any issues.... 3 years and counting owning my ccv....

Are those ARS re-branded Telsa tubes or JJ labeled? If they are ARS, I will buy your quads from anyone replacing them.

Steve

All I know is when Mark finished mine he said he didn't even measure it... Just by ear! And Wow was it high... This is over 2 years ago.

I set mine on 55ma in High cause man it just sounds so Dam Bass Ass like that! Timing is better fluidity is better... It's So Solid at that bias I do recomend Winged =C='s though :yes:

IT JUST SOUNDS FREAKIN AWESOME! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Roid

50 ma....each tube :scared:

el34 are 25 w plate dissipation, so with about 560 volt, 100 % current would be about 45 ma per tube...

....meaning that you guys are biasing at more than 100% ?!!!

Back