Do the tighten up

MrDowntown

OD type pedal, or EQ, Front end or loop it?
What is your preferred method between those two for tightening things up a bit?

OD in front

EQ in the loop

Sometimes both depending on many things but to "tighten things up" OD in front is the first thing that comes to mind and not an EQ.

Seems lots of guys here dig the Maxon...usually the OD-808. Is that (sort-of) the defacto pedal?

MrDowntown":2b93dcbe said:
Seems lots of guys here dig the Maxon...usually the OD-808. Is that (sort-of) the defacto pedal?

The od-808 is definitely my favorite boost. The Fortin Grind is a really close second for me and sounds amazing in front of a Rectifier. But I like the 808 in front of just about anything.

MrDowntown":3v2s7lre said:

I would say yes. IMO it is the standard, much like a 5150 is a standard for metal. I used to swear by the Maxon and still do but it just depends on the amp.

For the VHT I had nothing could beat it however it did not make my board with my Bogner.

If you are able to do so and like to experiment I would say get the Maxon as your reference pedal and then start testing others. Buy one and if it doesn't beat the Maxon then sell it to buy another and just keep doing that until your ears bleed :)

MrDowntown":2d6f2s6i said:

To simply tighten up an amp, I use a Timmy. It has treble and bass controls and doesn't give that dreaded mid-bump. If I were to use a TS type pedal, I'd use the Cusack Screamer.

Either or up front. Some amps respond perfectly with an EQ pedal(SLO) or others with a boost pedal (Marshalls). Try them both...and then double up on them for some real fun.

Right now my 2 favorite pedals for tightness are the airis savage and cussack screamer v2 that I just got yesterday. I've also owned several protones including 2 versions of the bulb and had a Timmy and a vfe focus and didn't like them anywhere near as much. I also have an airis proto drive and airis tight that are also very good for tightening but are more subtle effects

There are a lot of pedals that can tighten an amp up. The EQ option is great as well in the loop or in front...depending on needs and amp. No better EQ than an Empress Para EQ for the job.

Current fave is Maxon ST9 Pro+ but usually have used Maxon OD808.

I also have a Grind and the ST9 Pro+ seems like a blend of the Grind and Maxon OD808, to my ears on my gear anyway.

OD then EQ in front. EQ first in line in the loop.
I'm in love with the Savage Drive. It's made my others jealous. It has a Tight control too :)

So what would you guys recommend to tighten the low end up on an SLO? The SLO has those thicker lows and low mids than a more Marshall style amp.

Back