NPD Hey bastards listen to the new mix Aldrich vs AHB3..lol

Mark Day

I put a set of Suhr Aldrich's in my Modern this weekend. I did a before and after comparison with several rhythm licks.

Used the same amp an DAW settings, same mics and positions. Same basic licks.
Mostly high gain, because that's what I dig :) There is some clean stuff as well. No chorus or delay.

My thoughts are that I like both sets of pickups very much and could easily bond with both. The Aldrich's have a chimey quality to the cleans that I like very much.

I will keep the Aldrich's in the guitar :)

Mark

New MIX

Mark,

Great Demo As always...

I thought the Blackouts Were Fuller, and had more Heft (my preference).

The Aldridges are more Articulate, and have more definition...

I have Both... And out of 12 guitars, it just seems like I aways reach for the guitar with the Blackouts in it.

Royd

RoidRage":2mhosjb1 said:
Brad,

Great Demo As always...

I have Both... And out of 12 guitars, it just seems like I aways reach for the guitar with the Blackouts in it.

Royd
Uh... the video was made and posted by Mark Day, not Brad. ;)

BTW Mark, sounds excellent my friend! This video is definitely making the wait for my Modern harder to endure...

Corrected!

That's strange... Wonder why I did that possibly the CCV demo for Brad that I've been looking at...

Or Maybe too much Roids! :D

Thanks,

RR

Got to admit Mark, the Suhr's do sound
great but the Blackouts just sounded fuller
in the Modern. The Blackouts had more bite
but the Suhr's were smoother. The passive's
sounded more pristine on the clean channel,
but who the Hell plays clean?

RoidRage":t36vvgtl said:
Mark,

Great Demo As always...

Royd

Thanks for the compliment, I did spend allot of time on this demo. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Brad

King Guitar":1d4tatzl said:
RoidRage":1d4tatzl said:
Mark,

Great Demo As always...

Royd

Thanks for the compliment, I did spend allot of time on this demo. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Brad

Lol, I didn't even get an In and Out Burger for this one..lol, and your getting the credit for it.

Mark

Mark Day":vuyyx2i5 said:
King Guitar":vuyyx2i5 said:
RoidRage":vuyyx2i5 said:
Mark,

Great Demo As always...

Royd

Brad

Lol, I didn't even get an In and Out Burger for this one..lol, and your getting the credit for it.

Mark

51SS18GK4ZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Great demo ... I think i am partial to the Aldrich's, a little more clarity to me.... i had an old pair of Original Blackouts in one of my charvels I took them out after about 6months as the sound got very fatiguing .. the ahb3s sound way better

Clean there's just no comparison, Aldrich's HANDS DOWN !

w/Gain it's a toss up, I agree the Blackouts did seem just a bit fuller. But hell, the tone in your fingers is fat enough, you can afford to give just a little there. I think the Aldrich's were aggressive enough, yet just a tad smoother in the highs ....

They are tuned for Mahogany ..., aren't they !

Great comparison video man. I wish the pup companies would do them like this. I definitely preferred the Suhr's. Much more character. Blackouts sound kind of flat in comparison. The Suhr's have a ripping mid-range that sounds like a chainsaw in comparison. Are you still using the EMG SPC boost?

Beyond Black":2l4ar5r7 said:
Great comparison video man. I wish the pup companies would do them like this. I definitely preferred the Suhr's. Much more character. Blackouts sound kind of flat in comparison. The Suhr's have a ripping mid-range that sounds like a chainsaw in comparison. Are you still using the EMG SPC boost?

Yes I kept the EMG SPC control in. Sometimes during the demo it was on and other times it was not.

Mark

Mark,

I just watched the demo a couple more times and really listened for the nuances that make the Blackouts different from the Aldriches, and I can certainly say that the Aldriches win hands down. To my ears, the Blackouts seemed to have this very processed quality that doesn't allow much in the way of dynamnics (IE: they sounded "full on" all the time), at least with the setup that you are using here. There is a certain "air" to passive pickups that really allow a more satisfying range of tones. However, that's just my $.02.

King Loudness":f22i5qei said:
Mark,

I just watched the demo a couple more times and really listened for the nuances that make the Blackouts different from the Aldriches, and I can certainly say that the Aldriches win hands down. To my ears, the Blackouts seemed to have this very processed quality that doesn't allow much in the way of dynamnics (IE: they sounded "full on" all the time), at least with the setup that you are using here. There is a certain "air" to passive pickups that really allow a more satisfying range of tones. However, that's just my $.02.

I tend to agree!!! The Aldrich's are staying in. They have a different "feel" under my fingers that I really enjoy as well.

Mark

Mark Day":21y0gt3u said:
Here's a shot with the new pickups :)

Mark

web.jpg
:rock: Looks worlds better to me man. Zebra pickups were made for a flamed top like that in my opinion! If you're ever in NS with nothing to do... I'd love to take a spin on it... :LOL: :LOL:

I liked the Blackouts better in that vid....which suprised me. The Aldrich's sounded a bit muffled to me for some reason...?

Back